Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 am

Finally decided to put it all in one place. The Journey begins...

Here she is, a couple of miles from the dealership on my drive back to Oregon.

I ordered tires and wheels on my way home, I had been planning 37's since I decided on a Power Wagon. Most of the miles I put on the stock wheels and tires were during the 6 hour drive home. I'm selling the wheels and tires if anyone is interested.

A little trimming and they fit just fine.
KMC XD128 17x9 +18mm Offset. Toyo RT 37x12.5x17

Here are how the factory coils look brand new.

I'm not a fan of the cable and hook hanging out of the bumper.

Cleaned up the truck after a climbing trip. I didn't like the door badges and B pillar decals. I may end of taking off the badges on the tailgate but haven't decided yet. I like the clean look but not completely blank.

Ram needs to improve their headlights; the projectors work ok but they do not put out much useable light and what light there is is yellow. The '15+ model Ram trucks have an light-out error system that makes aftermarket light systems difficult. DDM recently released a very simple, yet affordable, plug and play Canbus kit. For less than $90 per side ($180 total for highs and lows), I installed 35W HID. The difference is pretty impressive.

Here is the grill and lights removed. On another forum users claim you can remove the headlight without taking out the grill using a long extension but there is an adjuster in the lower headlight mount. If you don't remove the grill you can't match the gap above and below the headlight.

Here is how I mounted the ballasts. The driver and passenger sides are different so I used different locations. The kit comes with screws but I used self tappers into the sheet metal subframe. The driver side shows a ziptie that I cut once the tappers were tight.
Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

The Headlights are bright!

I am working on the fogs but all of the parts aren't here yet. I also have a bypass kit I need to install. Some time this year and next I will be doing a full lift and 4.88 gears.
Best Year Power Wagon

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Post by NovA ProspekT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Diggin' it. The 37's at stock height looks great, probably gonna do the same when my current tires wear-out; gives it a good "stance", for lack of a better term.

I like how you removed the door badges, looked kinda' cluttered, IIMO. Maybe a retro-style POWER WAGON banner on the bedsides would look good, kinda like the one on the 2017 Power Wagon.

Good luck!
-------- 2007 Dodge Power Wagon | Vengeance --------
- Cooper S/T MAXX 37x12.5R17 | Carli Ball Joints
- Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB Radio | 4-ft. Firestik Red, White & Blue CB antenna | PA Speaker
- Factory REC Radio W/ PAC iSimple Aux. Input Interface
- BackRack Original Rack | BackRack Siderails | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | Pop N Lock Tailgate Lock
- White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders | Aluminess Front Bumper | Carli Front Diff. Guard
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler | QTP E-Cutout
- Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights | J.W. Speaker TS4000 LED Driving Lights
- Grote 30" Off-Road LED Light Bar | Grote BriteZone Slim Rear Work Lights
- ARB CKMTA12 Twin air-compressor w/2.5gal. tank

My build - My Flickr
Freedom is the miles I'm rolling on...

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks for the compliments. It is hard to tell but the truck needs 1" to 1.5" in the front because the back is so tall. The truck works but is just too low in the front. Also, the stock suspension is pretty stiff. I should know soon which way I'm going.

I can't decide; as much as I like the Power Wagon badging on the tailgate I think it will probably go. It makes cleaning the tail gate impossible. I should have taken a picture; the factory does a poor job pressing on the badges so there was dirt (stones actually) and water under the every letter and number. I'm probably going to remove the rest the next time I wash the truck. I can't stand the thought of dirt and water under the adhesive. I don't care if the truck gets dirty but mud rubbing the paint will only turn into rust.
Best Year Power Wagon

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 am

Looks much better, I wouldn't worry about the rake. Just about any weight in the bed will level it out. If you have it "level' sitting still, it will be nose high in just about any other scenario.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:41 pm

All of the parts for the fogs finally came in. The only source for resistors was China.

Here is one of the two harnesses I made. There is a second identical harness for the other side.

I didn't take any pictures but the resistors are fairly large and easily attach with zipties to the light bracket. There is some extra wire and all of it cleanly attaches to the Rigid brackets inside the bumper. I have not aimed the lights yet.

I also installed a bypass kit. The harness was a little short and I couldn't get my screw gun into the space in the instructions. The relay/control box is mounted behind the airbox. If I ever install a second battery there I will have to move the control box.
Best Year Power Wagon

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Be careful using zip ties on the resistors. Most resistors need to be mounted on a flat metal surface with screws or bolts to dispatch heat.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:44 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Be careful using zip ties on the resistors. Most resistors need to be mounted on a flat metal surface with screws or bolts to dispatch heat.
That is a 50W .47Ohm resistor, the lights only draw 24W/2A. It only gets slightly warm. We're not trying to reduce power (even though we are to a small degree), just trick the computer into thinking there are still functioning halogens in the system.

ETA: I ran the lights on all day yesterday to make sure I wouldn't get a bulb out error or flickering. If you look closely at the picture I secured the positive wire to the resistor with a single wrap of electrical tape. The resistor and the rest of the assembly looks exactly like it did in the picture. I also verified the temperature by hand after the fogs had been on for 30 minutes.
Last edited by Reloaderguy on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Year Power Wagon

15wbpw
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 15wbpw » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Any issues with flickering on your headlights? I have the retrofitsource kit and it flickers randomly and drives me insane. Also they're over 200$ a kit. I might have to try what you have.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:34 pm

15wbpw wrote:Any issues with flickering on your headlights? I have the retrofitsource kit and it flickers randomly and drives me insane. Also they're over 200$ a kit. I might have to try what you have.
I have not had the HID kits for very long and have only driven the truck a limited amount. With that said, the DDM kits in my truck do not flicker or randomly shut off as has been reported with other aftermarket HID kits in 2015+ Ram trucks. Same goes for the fogs (which is why I needed the resistor).
Best Year Power Wagon

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
FirerescuePW wrote:Be careful using zip ties on the resistors. Most resistors need to be mounted on a flat metal surface with screws or bolts to dispatch heat.
That is a 50W .47Ohm resistor, the lights only draw 24W/2A. It only gets slightly warm. We're not trying to reduce power (even though we are to a small degree), just trick the computer into thinking there are still functioning halogens in the system.

ETA: I ran the lights on all day yesterday to make sure I wouldn't get a bulb out error or flickering. If you look closely at the picture I secured the positive wire to the resistor with a single wrap of electrical tape. The resistor and the rest of the assembly looks exactly like it did in the picture. I also verified the temperature by hand after the fogs had been on for 30 minutes.
Yeah, I had HIDs in my truck a few years ago. I had resistors for the same purpose. I just didn't want you to run into an issue.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm

I appreciate it. I understand where you are coming from; the resistors commonly found in HID kits get very hot and metal mounting locations are required.

I should give credit where it is due. The research was done by a member on Cummins Forum, I just verified the math prior to using similar parts. If you do a search for resistor calculators you can verify the power reduction, the greater the reduction the higher the external heat. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013- ... ights.html
Best Year Power Wagon

15wbpw
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 15wbpw » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Usually mine only flicker ever 15-25minutes. Just one little flicker and then they're fine. It's just really irritating when I drive long distance. I think I'm going to try it out. I'm going to go with 55w though, that's what I've got now.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 pm

This is the kit(s) I installed: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDMPlusCanbus35W

The kits have resistors/decoders built in, no relays or externally mounted resistors. Straight plug and play. I think there are a few 2015+ compatible systems out now but this is the cheapest and has a ton of feedback on multiple Ram forums. I don't get any flickering or lights flashing out.
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Truck top came in last week. SnugTop SS

Best Year Power Wagon

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:07 pm

That looks freaking fantastic man!

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks. I bought it from a dealer in Grants Pass, Oregon. The dealership owner came out and adjusted the door personally. I thought it was pretty simple but it took some work I never would have thought of. The top's locks are tied to my tale gate locks and open with the OEM keyfob. There is a 12V overhead light that I will probably convert to dual LED strips.

I bought the cap to sleep in on climbing trips. I am going to build a platform in the bed and mount the second battery for duals.
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:54 am

Anyone have a suggestion on spare tire carrier options? I am planning to build out the bed of the truck for storage and sleeping. I am looking at a Wilco Tire Hitch carrier but am worried about the weight but mostly dragging the carrier on the ground (departure angle). My options seem to be bumper/carrier combo (most expensive), hitch carrier, or roof rack. The thought of having to take a 37" tire off the roof is not appealing for a number of reasons.

So, anyone have an opinion or experience? I see a lot of guys throw their spare in the bed but that won't work with my given plans and intended use.
Best Year Power Wagon

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:29 am

You'll loose space, but by far probably your best option is to put it under your bed platform. I think someone here has used a hitch tire carrier but I can't remember who? I wouldn't feel too good about one but hopefully they can chime in. Could always do an aluminess bumper carrier or something to that effect I suppose. Just seems like anything other than bed mount gets real expensive real quick.

Edit- screw putting a 37" on the roof lol. Real back breaker!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Wow- sharp truck!!!
2012 Ram Power Wagon: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:14 pm

A tire gate would be ideal, probably have to build one though. Might put some Boogies between that topper and the cab... Hahaha
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:05 pm

04Ram2500Hemi wrote:Wow- sharp truck!!!
Thank you.
Will wrote:A tire gate would be ideal, probably have to build one though. Might put some Boogies between that topper and the cab... Hahaha
I have no plans to "boogie" at high speed. I looked at bumpers but $2500 is more than I want to spend. I can live with the tire in the bed for normal driving but for road trips it has to go outside. That's the only reason I'm considering a hitch carrier. If someone has a more cost effective (read: cheaper) bumper/carrier combo I'd love to know.
Best Year Power Wagon

15pwag

Post by 15pwag » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:24 pm

I love that blue!!!! Looks great!!!! The previous owner had a topper on my new truck and it now has two nice dents on the cab corners. With paint chipping off that the dealer is gonna fix. Great lookin truck tho!!!!
2015 Laramie Power Wagon, Bright White--Weathertech floor mats, Back Rack with el cheapo spot light, DeeZee black tool box, custom fit rollup tonneau cover, black Ram running boards, Locker bypass

2011 Power Wagon (traded for the 2015)
1999 Trans Am Firehawk MN6
2001 S10 Blazer MN5

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:48 pm

The black rims with that blue look awesome!
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and shackles--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:Truck top came in last week. SnugTop SS

Looking great...nice blue & matching cab. I did the same with my F150 long bed with a mid-height cap shell, used it to sleep in on bowhunting weekend trips. Worked well. Had a pickup mattress, heater, 2 rows of LED's, 3x 12V outlets, sliding screen windows all around, old army folding table and chair, camp stove, lantern perfect for weekend trips.
2014 Ram PW SLT: Two tone Flame Red & Black
Completed Mods: Ram door sill guards, Front air deflector, WeatherTech slimline window deflectors, DiamondBack HD cover coated w/ Line-X, Mufflex MagnaFlow muffler & Resonator delete, Opti-Coat Pro 2.0, DeeZee tailgate strut, DeeZee ¼" fitted bed mat, Factor-55: FlatLink winch hook/Shorty Strap 3.0/Hitchlink 2.5, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, Locker by-pass, AEM dry filter, Truxedo LED bed lights wired into RamBox Connector, WhiteKnuckle sliders w/ full-length diamond plate coated in Line-X, Purple Cranium rear diff guard, AEV front/rear diff cover, AEV RAI w/ pre-filter, AEV ProCal (Bootleg'd), DOR Steering Box Brace, Phillips Hi intensity LEDs in cargo lamps & back-ups, triple anti-hop shocks, Truxx PW specific front 1.5" level, AAM 4.88's, custom black-out work, Line-X front/rear bumpers & wheel flares, 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Plasti-dip PW wheels Black w/ Gunmetal metalizer, FilterMag kit, AMP Research BedStep
Next Mods: Thuren: {Coils, Track Bar, Boggie Bumps, King 2.5's shocks} , on-board air, HID low CANBUS replacement, LED HI, BD LED fogs

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:05 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:Truck top came in last week. SnugTop SS

Looking great...nice blue & matching cab. I did the same with my F150 long bed with a mid-height cap shell, used it to sleep in on bowhunting weekend trips. Worked well. Had a pickup mattress, heater, 2 rows of LED's, 3x 12V outlets, sliding screen windows all around, old army folding table and chair, camp stove, lantern perfect for weekend trips.
Thanks. I am planning on sleeping in it on climbing trips. I am planning to wire in more 12V outlets. I kicked around a Decked system but the price is kind of steep. Now that I have committed to a full size spare out from under the truck I have a new battery mounting location. It should make wiring the bed easier.

I originally wanted a sliding window but the dealer mentioned some production concerns that were in the midst of being resolved. The SS looks better but doesn't have screens and only open at the rear. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.
Best Year Power Wagon