Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Reloaderguy's Mod Thread

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Starting the bed system this weekend. Doubt I'll get it finished though since I'm missing hardware. The electrical components came in this week, hopefully I can get that set up next weekend.

Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey mister Reloaderguy, did you replace you front track bar when you put the coils on? If not, how far off center is the axle? I would suspect the rear is fine if it is at stock ride height....

Are the actual lift numbers still at 1.5" front and 0" rear, or have the springs settled some?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes
- A virgin, other than White Knuckle sliders... and lots of Fluid Film -

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Yes, I replaced the front track bar. The axle is not centered, probably offset by .5". You won't be able to center the axle, the factory bar is already the max length you can run before metal on metal contact. I think the rear needs a drop bracket, the rear track bar angle is pretty steep.

I'm not sure what the numbers are, the truck is completely level with a truck cap, full spare on carrier, and bed-build. There is probably 600lbs in the bed the way it sits.
Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:31 am

Gotchya, thanks for the info.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 pm

How is the dual alternator setup coming?

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:28 am

I haven't done anything with it and I'm not sure I'm going to. The bed system is built and I'm working on the wiring slowly. I don't have a need for a larger alternator at this time so I'm holding off for a while. If I had the 160A base alternator from the gen 3 trucks I would have already made the change but the 220A alternator is probably enough for a while, it certainly meets my needs right now.
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Finished up the bed build and auxiliary battery system. The bed is built out with 3/4" medium grade ply boxed and mechanically locked via routed slots to the tie downs in the bed. The center section is 1 1/8" ply and is removable. The center pulls out so I can store the spare tire in the bed when not camping. The sections over the wheel wells do not open. I had a DeeZee rubber bed mat I cut to fit the floor and the insides of the small boxes. I am not a carpenter so this was a huge pain in the ass.

The battery is attached to a Blue Sea ML-ACR with in cab remote. 2/0 cable runs from the relay to the rear battery with a 350A fuse. I may use a 500A fuse later if I run into any problems; it would only be during peak winching loads when batteries are combined (very rare). The system is easily expandable to three rear batteries. I have plans for power in the bed but haven't got that far yet. The remote is wired to a dimmed circuit and operates with the dash lights.

Best Year Power Wagon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:24 pm

What a great idea I can see this really coming in handy if you ever lost an alternator on the trail or have been winching a lot!!! Is that what the plans originally were for?

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Yeah, the second battery is primarily to improve winching reliability. Secondarily for self jump starting and powering devices in the bed. I'm going to mount compressors in the truck at some point too. After looking through all of the pictures on this forum and other, the ML-ACR is the single most integrated and highest rated isolating and charging relay, not to mention remote actuated from the cab. It's also extremely compact which is why you can barely see it in the engine bay.

I forgot to mention, I sealed the bed. The truck cap draws water and dust through the tailgate and the bed vents.
Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Bare with me and my ignorance. But this switch, what exactly does it do? Allows you to switch from either battery or both at the same time?

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 pm

olyelr wrote:Bare with me and my ignorance. But this switch, what exactly does it do? Allows you to switch from either battery or both at the same time?
Magnetic Latching, Automatic Charging Relay. The relay senses charging voltage from the alternator and automatically latches via electromagnets to charge the second battery bank (just one battery right now). The relay can also be latched to connect both batteries together for high amperage situations such as multiple full pulls with the winch. When voltage from the alternator drops, the relay disconnects the batteries and isolates the house battery from the chassis battery to create an emergency power source or prevent draws on the house battery from draining the chassis/starting battery. The relay is designed for marine applications but crosses over when we start to discuss winching or overland rigs.
Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:28 am

Wow that does sound pretty nifty. Thanks for the explanation.

That box is pretty dang impressive, especially when your not a carpenter. Bet you added quite a bit of weight back there!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:17 am

Rides better now! Lol. Looks awesome. Good job
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and shackles--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Nitto trail grapplers--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 pm

olyelr wrote:Wow that does sound pretty nifty. Thanks for the explanation.

That box is pretty dang impressive, especially when your not a carpenter. Bet you added quite a bit of weight back there!
Actually it's not very heavy. I used two 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" and half a sheet of 1 1/8".The boxes probably weigh about 100 pounds plus the battery. The spare and carrier weigh more.
Best Year Power Wagon

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am

Looks great man!

Any plans for a fridge?
-------- 2007 Dodge Power Wagon | Vengeance --------
- Cooper S/T MAXX 37x12.5R17 | Carli Ball Joints
- Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB Radio | 4-ft. Firestik Red, White & Blue CB antenna | PA Speaker
- Factory REC Radio W/ PAC iSimple Aux. Input Interface
- BackRack Original Rack | BackRack Siderails | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | Pop N Lock Tailgate Lock
- White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders | Aluminess Front Bumper | Carli Front Diff. Guard
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler | QTP E-Cutout
- Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights | J.W. Speaker TS4000 LED Driving Lights
- Grote 30" Off-Road LED Light Bar | Grote BriteZone Slim Rear Work Lights
- ARB CKMTA12 Twin air-compressor w/2.5gal. tank

My build - My Flickr
Freedom is the miles I'm rolling on...

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 pm

Not at this time. I built in expandability so if I change my mind later I could certainly run a fridge if the need arises.
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Here is the new Thuren rear track bar compared to the stock unit. I went to install the TB on Saturday and found out the Power Wagon rear axle is in fact different than a standard 11.5 2500 axle so the brackets didn't quite fit. I dropped the truck off at Thuren's on Sunday and he has the brackets sorted and the bar installed.

Best Year Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Holy shit! Which mount is he changing to allow for that much longer of a bar? Both of them?

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:35 am

The lower axle mount. The brackets still fit, the axle track bar mount on the PW has some rise built into it so you have to drill an extra hole. The new bar is longer and sits flatter/higher off the axle.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/produ ... r-kit.html
Best Year Power Wagon

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:05 pm

I had a chance to drive the truck, the rear end is planted and no longer walks from side to side. The track bar went from 6 degrees to 1.5 degrees and nearly flat. The joints are no longer torsionally loaded so the bar isn't acting like a spring when the suspension compresses. Thuren's brackets look stronger than the axle mount, I think you'd rip off the mount before the brackets broke. After a couple of road trips with the stock truck I'd recommend changes to the rear bar, the factory track bar is pretty cheap and the mount doesn't reduce the angle enough. This is one of the first modifications I'd make to a stock truck.

The cartridge joints are significantly larger than stock.

Length comparison, Thuren vs. OE

The factory angle

The new angle

The new bracket. The factory bolt is redrilled lower so the change in location is a little misleading from just the picture. You can see how much longer the new bar is though.

The Power Wagon rear axle has a different track bar mount from a standard 2500 11.5 axle. The hump in the mount is the built in rise to accommodate the factory 2" lift. The Power Wagon doesn't simply just have 2" taller springs, the fount end has a longer track bar and the rear end has a taller (axle end) mount. This picture was taken when I initially began to fit the bracket and discovered the Power Wagon axles are unique to the model. Don ended up finishing the installation to determine the viability of the existing brackets (versus making Power Wagon specific brackets).
Best Year Power Wagon

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:06 pm

That looks really nice!

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Heck yea!

Im sure most of the improvement is from the added length of the new bar. The original angle is quite flat in stock location.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am

olyelr wrote:Heck yea!

Im sure most of the improvement is from the added length of the new bar. The original angle is quite flat in stock location.
The length of the bar and the joints are the improvements, yes. The angle indicator shows how flat the bar is and how little the axle will move side to side. Also, if the track bar is flat at static ride height the axle moves the same direct in compression and extension.
Best Year Power Wagon

Low_Sky
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
olyelr wrote:Heck yea!

The length of the bar and the joints are the improvements, yes. The angle indicator shows how flat the bar is and how little the axle will move side to side. Also, if the track bar is flat at static ride height the axle moves the same direct in compression and extension.
This rear track bar will probably be in my future at some point. Lots of frost heaves in some of our highways up here, and that rear end "wiggle" makes for very tight puckering of butt cheeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

Alaska
2015 PW Laramie w/RamBox
Custom rock sliders

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am

I had planned to keep suspension stock on mine (aside from shocks eventually) but I'm definitely going to get one of these at some point. Another guy I follow on instagram (dieselfumes) is super happy with his Thuren track bar too. Says it's much more stable especially with a load in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk