ARB Modular Bumper on my 2012 PW

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
molonlabe
Model Year: 2012

ARB Modular Bumper on my 2012 PW

Post by molonlabe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:56 am

Hey guys,
Im going to post a lot of pics on this build.
Graveltravels did his and I wanted to post details for anyone wanting to tackle this type of project.
Attachments
IMG_0288.JPG
Stock bumper and grill removed
IMG_0286.JPG
Close up of factory Warn Winch casting
2012PW. FIXED FRONT END by way of Carli Front and Rear Suspension Components + Synergy HD Steering. 2.5 Pintop Carli Shocks all around. White Knuckle Sliders. Custom pre-runner bar w LED light bar. ARB Modular Front Bumper. FAB Four Elite Steel Rear Bumper. Amsteel synthetic rope.
Switch Pro Setup for Auxillary Power and Lighting.
+1 Rothschild Banking Dynasty.

molonlabe

Re: ARB Modular Bumper on my 2012 PW

Post by molonlabe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:56 am

More pics with descriptions.....
Attachments
IMG_0287.JPG
Lower part of casting showing winch mounting feet facing fwd. These are the 2 lower mounting bolts
IMG_0290.JPG
Driver side winch mount disassembled. The washer fluid tank was set off to the side to make this easier.
IMG_0292.JPG
Winch and casting unbolted from frame and lowered. The wire harness will need to be disconnected from the winch power control module.
IMG_0291.JPG
Detail of warn power control "box". 1 power wire, 1 ground wire and 1 remote switch wire harness will need to be disconnected to completely remove winch assembly from the frame. ***Make sure to disconnect negative battery cable first***
2012PW. FIXED FRONT END by way of Carli Front and Rear Suspension Components + Synergy HD Steering. 2.5 Pintop Carli Shocks all around. White Knuckle Sliders. Custom pre-runner bar w LED light bar. ARB Modular Front Bumper. FAB Four Elite Steel Rear Bumper. Amsteel synthetic rope.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:30 am

More details on the re-positioning the Warn winch.
It should probably go without saying but taking off almost 40# of cable from the winch first will save your back and make things more manageable. The M12000 is at least 100#.

This part was fairly challenging for me but luckily it worked out.
Although I wound up re-routing the ground and power wires the wiring was pretty straight forward.
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG
These wires need to be disconnected from the control box. The 14ga red/black wires end with a 2pin connector. The white 5pin remote connector can also be removed.
IMG_0294.JPG
2 wire harness clamps will need to be removed.
I pointed out the one spanner bar that will need to be relocated once the winch is unbolted from the casting.
IMG_0296.JPG
The 4 bolts holding the winch to the casting.
IMG_0297.JPG

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm

HOLY SHIT>.. That thing looks like it weighs a TON!!!!!! Bet your front end came up about 1/2" ;)

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:42 am

gun45boat wrote:HOLY SHIT>.. That thing looks like it weighs a TON!!!!!! Bet your front end came up about 1/2" ;)
Maybe not a ton but it sure feels like it. :)

I've been busy working on the winch motor so the remote socket will reach the top of the new ARB bumper. And then modifying the roller fairlead plate to accommodate the new motor position. So...I've been somewhat delayed in posting new pics.

I would have to guess with the bumper and winch/winch mount the total weight is around 150-170 lbs.
The front bumper is around 60#. Winch is around 60# minus 40# of cable.
Getting the ARB Modular bumper was a concern since I would be adding an extra 50# in bumper alone. So total weight would be the new bumper+winch ....plus the winch is moved fwd at least 24inches so that changes the CG of the front end of the truck.
Deleting the front winch casting and 90 feet of 7/16in cable will help keep the overall weight gain to an "acceptable" level.

I'm hoping anyone who has added an aftermarket bumper and winch will comment on if the front suspension needs to be upgraded as well. My long term plan is to at least upgrade the front springs.
Last edited by molonlabe on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:55 am

At this stage it was all cosmetic work on modifying the top plate to work with the winch freespool lever and a mounting hole for the remote socket.

I wound up having to rotate the winch motor 180deg to get the remote wire harness closer to the top of the bumper.
Also rotating the motor allowed the solenoid control box cover to face forward. I was concerned that without doing this, water would eventually seep through the bottom "plate" the solenoids attaches to and cause corrosion issues down the road.
Attachments
IMG_0345.jpg
Cut out in top cover plate for the freespool lever.
IMG_0346.jpg
Masked off for painting the exposed edge of the sheet metal.
IMG_0349.jpg
Measure twice..cut once. I lucked out and the cutout lined up with the freespool lever.
Last edited by molonlabe on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:25 am

Must be tired since I forgot to add detailed pics on the winch re-clocking of the freespool lever. Doh!

So this is where you can learn from my mistake(s). Don't do what I did and completely remove the gear housing from the winch body.
This is totally unnecessary and is a wast of time.

The best way to to do this is from Warn Industries own website.
http://www.warn.com/blog/2011/09/27/how ... mper.shtml

I've included the disassembled winch parts for reference in case anyone is curious about what a Warn M12000 winch looks like.....or not. :wink:
Attachments
IMG_0298.JPG
This is the stock position of the freespool lever. You can see the relative position of it to the mounting feet. NOT going to work with the ARB bumper!
IMG_0299.JPG
So DON'T do this. I completely removed the planetary gear housing from the winch. Notice the outer ring of "teeth" on the gear housing.
IMG_0302.JPG
You can see the mating outer teeth on the winch body.
IMG_0304.JPG
3 major gear housing components.
IMG_0305.jpg
Re-clocked gear housing. Getting all the gear parts back together was a real pain in the ass. Trust me on this.
IMG_0307.JPG
Compare the freespool lever to the mounting feet. At 12o'clock and all is well.
Last edited by molonlabe on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 am

Winch on bumper getting bolted to the new ARB bumper brackets. These parts are HEAVY.

At this point I highly recommend having a friend/buddy help you. Mine bailed on me so I was on my own.

Luckily I have a Harbor freight motorcycle lift that let me hold the bumper in place as I bolted it to the bumper brackets. I also have a heavy duty hydraulic jack but it would not have worked as well as the motorcycle lift due to it having a wider platform to hold the bumper and wheels to move it around to get it aligned with the bumper brackets.

Note - You can bolt the bumper on first, align it somewhat, then bolt on the winch. There is clearance for the winch will fit up and behind the bumper and underneath the radiator/condenser. However this can only be done if you removed the grill and the windshield washer tank first.
Attachments
IMG_0310.JPG
Getting the winch on the center bumper. I have a motorcycle lift (from Harbor freight) and this made attaching the center bumper much,much easier.
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
Winch positioned on the bumper with freespool lever.
IMG_0320.JPG
New ARB bumper brackets
IMG_0322.JPG
Close up.
IMG_0323.JPG
These holes need to line up with the bumper bracket holes.
IMG_0333.JPG
Bumper bolted on. Detail of the winch motor. The remote socket is too short to reach the top of the bumper cover plate. Also, I didn't like the wires exposed like this. Sooo, remove the winch and re-clock the motor 180deg.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Nice work!!! And great write up. I remember tearing into the winch once before. Grease the crap outta it. Where the installed photos!!!
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Nice work!!! Thank you for including all the pics as it goes along, great to see what all is involved! Pretty cool to see the inner workings of our winches too!!!!

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Holy Jesus,,,, how much does that thing weigh?? Looks stout as fawk...

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:05 am

nts007 wrote:Nice work!!! And great write up. I remember tearing into the winch once before. Grease the crap outta it. Where the installed photos!!!
Thanks. I feel I'm on the home stretch.
Here are some more details on the finished project.

1. To save some weight, about 30lbs, I upgraded (or not) to 100ft of 3/8 Amsteel Blue. There are issues with heat when using Warn planetary winches and synthetic line. Heat is generated by the braking mechanism inside the drum, when spooling OUT the line under power. This is not an issue if you free spool out the line. So take that for what its worth if you decide to use synthetic line with winches that use this braking feature.

2. I damaged part of the cast housing when I screwed on the end connector of the Amsteel Line to the winch drum.
The stock screw was about 1/4 inch too short for the new connector, which looks just like a single link of chain. The synthetic line is "looped" through the chain link and then passed thru itself to end with a 6in long "tail", which gets taped onto the drum.
The replacement screw was about 1/2in longer and when I tightened it down, the end contacted the inside of the end casting as the drum rotated. As the drum continued to rotate, it shaved off 1/16in aluminum "chips" off the casting. I could see the chips falling on the bumper. At this point I was concerned that the damage would prevent the winch from operating. Luckily it was mainly cosmetic and after doing a function check, the winch worked in and out under power. So another lesson to be learned here. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_0358.JPG
This is the final position after re-clocking the winch motor. The control cover is now facing fwd, which may not be a big deal but it looks nicer IMO.
Last edited by molonlabe on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:14 am

The "good news" from all this is as the longer screw continued to rotate around on the drum, it cleared its own path. :evil:
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
The offending screw.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:37 am

Detail of the remote socket cutout on the bumper cover.
And winch line spooled on the drum.

When you rotate the winch 180 deg, the motor winds up on the driver side. And there is quite a bit of slack in the power/ground cables.
Instead of cutting, I was able to clean up the routing for the power and ground cable by re-using the factory clamps. I used the same location on the existing condenser bracket. Securing the cables is probably good. Otherwise they could hang down (around 10in below the radiator/condenser) and flop around, or worse, get caught on something.
Attachments
IMG_0359.jpg
Cut and painted to prevent rust.
IMG_0360.jpg
Socket attached with some extra ARB stainless fasteners that I wound up with.
IMG_0361.jpg
100ft of Amsteel Blue (actually silver/grey) on the drum.
IMG_0362.jpg
Power and ground cable routed.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:45 am

gun45boat wrote:Holy Jesus,,,, how much does that thing weigh?? Looks stout as fawk...
Total weight of the ARB bumper and Warn M12000 winch is around 160lbs-180lbs.

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:03 am

RAM4ROKS wrote:Nice work!!! Thank you for including all the pics as it goes along, great to see what all is involved! Pretty cool to see the inner workings of our winches too!!!!

I will get a pic of the bumper in daylight so you guys/gals can see what the actual bumper looks like and not all the detailed pics on the installation.

Next up: Custom Pre Runner bar and LED light bar. :D

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I heard from the "grape vine" that it is bad to run a roller fairlead on synthetic rope. Apparently you need to use that aluminum looking thing.. again, I just heard this, and have nothing to back up the statement with. Was just on a trail and somebody (older guy with lots of trail time) say it to another.. Hate for you to burn up a good expensive synthetic cable If it were me, I would say fuck it,,,,,, but that is just me;)

http://www.okoffroad.com/editorial-rope.htm

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! Looks great.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Hawse fairlead. You don't want the rope to ride on the edge of a roller in an off center pull.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:31 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Hawse fairlead. You don't want the rope to ride on the edge of a roller in an off center pull.
Yep, plus I think they look nice and almost no chance of catching it on a rock or object.
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

Trouble Maker
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Trouble Maker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 pm

One problem I see is any winch 10k and over, Warn included and IIRC recommended, is designed to be mounted feet forward so there is no pulling forces on the castings, all they do is hold the winch in position. May never be a problem but it is something to keep in mind.
Russ
Black 09 purchased Dec 21/13
180K kms on the clock

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:01 pm

gun45boat wrote:I heard from the "grape vine" that it is bad to run a roller fairlead on synthetic rope. Apparently you need to use that aluminum looking thing.. again, I just heard this, and have nothing to back up the statement with. Was just on a trail and somebody (older guy with lots of trail time) say it to another.. Hate for you to burn up a good expensive synthetic cable If it were me, I would say fuck it,,,,,, but that is just me;)

http://www.okoffroad.com/editorial-rope.htm

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! Looks great.

Thanks!
I heard about using hawse fairleads vs rollers when using synthetic line and it seems that depending on WHO you ask its 50/50. Jury is out so to speak.
I have replaced the metal roller with plastic (delrin or nylon) rollers but it sounds like the line gets snagged on the roller edge on extreme angle pulls....so I may go with a hawse after all. :doh:

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:08 pm

Picture of the finished bumper.
Attachments
IMG_0368.jpg

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Trouble Maker wrote:One problem I see is any winch 10k and over, Warn included and IIRC recommended, is designed to be mounted feet forward so there is no pulling forces on the castings, all they do is hold the winch in position. May never be a problem but it is something to keep in mind.
I spoke with Warns customer service on this exact issue and he said the M12000, M15000, and 16.5Ti have the same "case" and they are all designed to be mounted feet forward.
Obviously that surprised me so I called ARBs Tech Rep and explained that the Modular Bumper I purchased specifically mentions the 16.5Ti or other "large frame" winches in the instructions. I'm waiting to hear back from one of the Technical Reps on mounting the M12k (really spec'd as an M15k) feet down.

Here is my take on it. Warn Industries does not know which bumper or type of bracket I will be attaching their large frame winch to. Or whether it is designed to handle the loads or not. So to cover their ass legally, they say to only mount their large frame winches feet forward. I'm way too far into this project to go with another bumper or winch. Let the chips fall where they may and damn the torpedoes.
Attachments
Screen shot 2016-01-17 at 8.24.29 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-01-17 at 8.27.04 PM.png

Graveltravels
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Graveltravels » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:35 am

That looks awesome molonlabe!! I like it without the grill guard. I may pull mine off for a bit for the fun of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

molonlabe

Post by molonlabe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Graveltravels wrote:That looks awesome molonlabe!! I like it without the grill guard. I may pull mine off for a bit for the fun of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks graveltravels! My next project is to get a local tube bender to fabricate a custom pre-runner bar for it so I'll have a place to attach my LED light bar.

How do you like your bumper so far?
Did you have any issues getting the winch mounted?