Juday's Wagon

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Juday's Wagon

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:55 am

Well, I've tried so long to resist making this thread as I had feared it would cause me to spend more money. Now, I guess the time has come to make this, as I've already spent a fair amount on various items to make this truck "mine." That being said, let's start from the beginning......

November 1st, 2011 - It arrives home. Odometer reading - 23 miles.
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Juday's Wagon

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 am

Modification/Alternation #1: November 5, 2011

Line-X truck bed liner and truck bed toolbox. No question, these were going to be the first additions to the truck.

Last edited by Juday on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am

Modification/Alteration #2: Odometer reading 2,853 miles.

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 285/75R17 (34x11.5R17) Load Range E
Center lugs siped to help with wet/winter weather driving. This seemed to work great in the tires ability to "grip" the road in adverse conditions. I chose this tire because the stock BFG A/T KO tire does not fit my driving style. Being in the construction industry and a sitework developer, the BFG A/T just didn't work in the mud. I ended up selling these off to help fund the purchase of the KM2 tires.

I know there are lots of questions out there about whether this tire will rub the control arms, or not, but experienced NO contact with the control arm on this size of tire. This was on the stock suspension, too.

2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 am

Modification/Alteration #3: February 13, 2013

Aluminess Front Bumper and Rock Sliders

My favorite and most expensive modification, to date. Kenny, at Aluminess, was great to work with when I ordered these two items. Build time was four weeks before the product was shipped out. Understandable, since these are not "off the shelf" items. The weight of this bumper is probably no more than 10 pounds over the stock bumper. You can EASILY pick this up by yourself to move it around. I did, however, get a friend of mine to help me with the install, just to make things easier. Install time for everything took about 6-7 hours, but I'm not known to work the quickest and I'm meticulous with everything. The end product turned out GREAT, in my opinion.

P.S. Nothing like that feeling in your gut when you start in tearing apart your basically "new" truck!

You'll have to excuse the lapse in pictures from a torn up front, to a completed finish. It got to the point where I just wanted to finish the damn install and I didn't care about taking pictures anymore....HAHAHA!
2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 am

Modification/Alteration #4: I don't remember when I did this, but I want to say sometime at the beginning of 2013.

Plasti-Dip Wheels

I'm not a big fan of chrome on anything, so I decided to change it up a little. Boredom will make one do things that hadn't thought of before. This mod was about as easy as it gets. Take the wheels off, clean them with a cleaner and spray away. I like the way they turned out and it was MUCH cheaper than buying a complete new set of wheels. I like the Power Wagon's wheels, so I don't see a need to change them.....besides the color, of course. :)

2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:46 am

Modification/Alteration #5: July 19, 2014

Daystar 1" Front Coil Spacer

Growing tired of the amount of rake on the truck, I decided to purchase this spacer for a little over $100. I'm not ready to make the plunge into buying an extremely expensive suspension for the truck yet, so this was my best option. The install took a couple of hours, thanks to my two post lift and air tools. If you do this yourself, like I did, you're definitely going to want to make an investment in coil spring compressors (AND DON'T SKIMP OUT, EITHER!). I bought a set of beefy, strong and "I know I'm not going to die using these" type of spring compressors. Even then, compressing the springs and watching that threaded bolt bend and flex is NOT a comforting feeling. However, with a few friends, a few beers and a few hours, I got it all tied up and on the truck.

Before:

After:

The spacer did exactly as advertised and lifted the front of the truck exactly 1".
2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 am

Modification/Alteration #6: November 5, 2014 - Odometer Reading 49,980 miles.

Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - 315/70R17 Load Range D

The time had come to replace the KM2s, as they were down to 8/32nds left and very slippery on the roads. Taking a turn/roundabout at speed, in the rain, was....interesting, to say the least. I've always wanted to test out the MTR w/ Kevlar since they came out a few years ago. In turn, I decided to go with a larger tire than what I previously had on the truck. The 315's do rub the control arms at full lock side-to-side, but nothing I can't live with. So far, I'm fairly impressed with the tires, but I've been told they wear down quickly. I guess time will tell.....

On a side note, the Load Range D feels much better than the Load Range E I had with the KM2. Hitting pot holes and road deformities doesn't send jarring shocks up your spine like before.....HAHA!

P.S. I do plan on getting new "high clearance" control arms in the near future to alleviate any rubbing.
2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 am

Modification/Alteration #7: November 22, 2014

MYoung84's Locker Bypass Mod/Kit

I didn't even think to snap pictures while installing this kit, so I apologize. This mod is AMAZING!! VERY easy to install and worth every.single.penny. No more doing the locker dance to "hopefully" get the lockers to engage when you need them. Now, it's just a simple turn on the knob and BOOM, they're instantly engaged! If you don't have one of these already, I strongly suggest getting on the list.
2012 RAM Power Wagon

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm glad you put this thread together. Your picture of the 285/75/17's just saved me a BOAT LOAD of cash. I've been doing the whole 35" tire and Thuren debate for a long time, but after seeing the stance of your truck with those tires, I've made up my mind. Now instead of Thuren Arms I can buy AEV Wheels!
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Sweet!!!!!!! Looks like you are good with the basics... ROck sliders!!!!!!!! Beautiful truck,, I wish mine was dent free and all shiny and shit...

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:09 pm

They are so pretty with no dents or scratches lol. Nice truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Oh, there are some scratches and a few dents. However, for the really rough stuff, I take the Jeep. It fits and maneuvers a helluva lot better on the trails around here...HAHA!
2012 RAM Power Wagon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Wooooo looking so fresh so clean juday!

Sent from somewhere your not
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

old sole mopar
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by old sole mopar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:57 pm

I like the front bumper! Just all bussines.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:59 pm

We were just giving you shit.. ;) It really is a clean rig though..

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Nice truck!

How did you like that size KM2? I have always thought that would be about a perfect size for a daily driver. Also, how do you like the Goodyears in comparison?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:17 am

olyelr wrote:Nice truck!

How did you like that size KM2? I have always thought that would be about a perfect size for a daily driver. Also, how do you like the Goodyears in comparison?
I liked the KM2 for a daily driver. They were fairly quiet and lasted forever (45,000 miles) on the truck. The only complaint I had about them was their lateral traction. Be it on a hill, or in the rain/snow/ice, you really had to pay attention and plan ahead. You're either going to slide sideways, or plow into a turn if you take it too hard/fast. Once you learned how the truck behaves, it wasn't too big of a deal.

As far as how they compare to the MTR's, I'd say it's too soon to tell exactly. Noise level is roughly the same going down the road and the MTRs don't see to plow as much into corners. I haven't had any adverse weather here, or ventured out in the mud with them, yet. When that time comes, I'll let you know how they compare side-by-side.
2012 RAM Power Wagon

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Juday wrote:
olyelr wrote:Nice truck!

I liked the KM2 for a daily driver. They were fairly quiet and lasted forever (45,000 miles) on the truck. The only complaint I had about them was their lateral traction. Be it on a hill, or in the rain/snow/ice, you really had to pay attention and plan ahead. You're either going to slide sideways, or plow into a turn if you take it too hard/fast. Once you learned how the truck behaves, it wasn't too big of a deal.

As far as how they compare to the MTR's, I'd say it's too soon to tell exactly. Noise level is roughly the same going down the road and the MTRs don't see to plow as much into corners. I haven't had any adverse weather here, or ventured out in the mud with them, yet. When that time comes, I'll let you know how they compare side-by-side.
Sounds good, thanks.

I know what you mean about lateral traction. I have experienced that with the KM2's on my jeep.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Good looking truck... Did you paint or plasti dip your rear bumper?
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:40 pm

That front bumper would hurt lol

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 pm

14PowerWaggy wrote:Good looking truck... Did you paint or plasti dip your rear bumper?
Plasti-Dip. I simply used blue painters tape to tape off the backup sensors and areas I was afraid overspray. Clean it off with some good cleaner and spray away!
2012 RAM Power Wagon

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm

2wagons1driveway wrote:That front bumper would hurt lol

It hurt, alright! Right in the ol' pocketbook! :cash: :lol:
2012 RAM Power Wagon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Hahaha they always do. Looks good though! Worth it.

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Juday wrote:
Well, whats the word?!

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Juday wrote:
14PowerWaggy wrote:Good looking truck... Did you paint or plasti dip your rear bumper?
Plasti-Dip. I simply used blue painters tape to tape off the backup sensors and areas I was afraid overspray. Clean it off with some good cleaner and spray away!
:cheers:
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal