Cactus Red's Build - 2009 Power Wagon

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Cactus Red

Re: The Cactus Red mod thread.

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:57 pm

My limit is about $1200.00, and would expect to see some improvement at that over the current 5100's.
I'm just along for the ride...

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Planning to use limit straps aswell ?

Sent from somewhere your not
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Nope, the stock travel is fine. I use the truck primarily on FS roads and trails, so no jumping is in the plan. I do tend to drive a bit faster than average, so increased dampening would be welcome on the typical washboard roads we have out here. Based on Thuren's site, his level 3 would be about my requirements.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Ya I honestly think stage three is all a lot if people will ever need. Just run good bump stops that's thurens way of working things softer then Carli. This way you don't have to re enforce shock mounts etc you just rely on the good progressive bumps to keep the truck from harshly bottoming out. Carli likes to let the shock do all the work and totally resist bottoming. You may want to think of strap on the front just for the reassurance that a wheel doesn't fall off an obstacle and damage the shock....you don't really lose any travel if set up properly. Mine still stretches good

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 pm

One only needs a strap to limit droop to protect hardware from damage. The shocks can handle full extension under any condition other than launching and allowing the shock to extend with the full weight and spring force. So the straps are for those who seek air time (full extension while unloaded) or times where travel must be limited to prevent brake lines, drag link TRE or other at risk items from being damaged.

There are other benefits to larger diameter shocks. The valving can be far more progressive based on shaft speed. The valve stacking is far more versatile because of the larger surface area. So that you can have a soft compliant ride while having massive resistance to bottoming out like a stiffer (harsher riding) valved smaller diameter shock. Yes it does have the ability to resist fade or cavitation due to heat etc, but that is only an additional benefit but not the reason for you to buy them. That said, very very few of us need or can put them to good use. I'm sorry to say that I'm not one of them.
My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:34 am

When your ready to buy shocks talk to don he'll set you up! We know nothing compared to him!

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:13 pm

While crawling around under the truck during an oil change today, I noticed it was missing one of the Kore front bump stops. Actually surprised it took this long for one to get knocked out. Dunno when it happened, but it was there in November when I last lubed up the control arm bushings. So, decided to try a set of Energy Suspension 5.9105G Bump Stops. Should be here by Wednesday.

Also cleaned the AirAid synthetic non-oiled filter. Just like the last time, I'm happy to report absolutely no dust inside the intake tube. The filter itself was filthy. After a quick spray of Simple Green, it rinsed clean, but it sure made a mud puddle as it cleaned up.

Mark

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 am

Damn man.... I have a spare Kore bump stop I would have sent you for free ( I removed mine in place of the air bumps.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the offer - I appreciate it. I'm due for new stops anyway. They are so long, they get twisted when articulated to the max, and the remaining one wiggles in the pocket.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I know what you mean, I had to "super Glue" mine in and then run (you will laugh) but I drilled in 3 self-tapping screws in each of the metal mounts to hold them in place.. Worked like a dream when I was using them.

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Haha! I've heard of this being done before Sir, luckily I've not experienced this myself.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:29 pm

gun45boat wrote:I know what you mean, I had to "super Glue" mine in and then run (you will laugh) but I drilled in 3 self-tapping screws in each of the metal mounts to hold them in place.. Worked like a dream when I was using them.
I'd considered doing that via a couple 1/4-20 bolts thru when I originally mounted them, but figured I'd see how they'd do without it.

The Energy Suspension stops are a little shorter, so I'll need to flex it to check for coil clash and topping out shocks. I don't jump the truck, so I've never intentionally bottomed out both stops simultaneously. That said, it has hit both a few times hitting ditches a bit too fast...

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:23 am

Is there any difference in the durometer of material, between black & red ?

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 am

Nope!

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:08 pm

The stops are softer than the Kore by a fair margin. I flex checked the truck and didn't make contact with it by about 1/2". The Kore stop did spot. So, I'll have to bit a bit more cautious the first few times out. The Daystar spacer makes the stock length stop a bit short.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49 am

Red you should have put some boogies on it! Expensive but wow really save your teeth from the harsh g outs

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun May 10, 2015 12:37 am

Had a weird buzz in the exhaust that had been getting worse. Knocked on every thing with a rubber mallet, couldn't track it down. So, everything got replaced. Since he was torching it all off, had Bill at Arizona Exhaust put in a Y pipe too. I liked the sound of the 50 series FlowMaster, so a new one of those went back on. Deleted the resonator, and had him reroute the exit to clear the spare with a bit more room.

The buzz is gone. After inspecting every thing off the truck, I found the muffler had a loose baffle where it got bent by a rock. There were several pin holes on the top too.

I was surprised to see how restrictive the stock 2 into 1 pipe was. I'd speculate it was about 60%.

Between adding the Y pipe and deleting the resonator, the exhaust has a much different tone. That's fine - it has a bit more growl too it.

Cost out the door was $325.00.

Dennis Miller "You can't order black coffee anymore. It's un-creamed..."

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Towing our RPOD 178 is yielding dismal MPG's - 7.6 to 8.1 on the last 140 round trip.

So, decided to try a Diablo InTune to see if using the 91 octane tune will help that some. I'll run the 87 or economy the rest of the time. It should arrive Monday.

Mark

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Yeah, towing sucks gas. Period.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:38 pm

A 260 mile range with a 3400 lb trailer is unacceptable. If it doesn't improve, I've got some major contemplating to do. We have a JKUR that can do the rough stuff too.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:51 pm

Cactus Red wrote:A 260 mile range with a 3400 lb trailer is unacceptable. If it doesn't improve, I've got some major contemplating to do. We have a JKUR that can do the rough stuff too.

ya might be time for a 6.4 ImageImage

"Escalators are never really broken...their just stairs for alittle while... "
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:28 pm

If I decide to do something different it will either be a half ton eco-deisel or Cummins.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Cactus Red wrote:If I decide to do something different it will either be a half ton eco-deisel or Cummins.

I think I will consider the aux tank in place of the spare tire under the bed and a transfer pump to fill the main tank with. Yes it is made for diesel trucks but they also promote its use for remote fueling of ATVs, sand buggies and motorcycles so they will hold gas as well as diesel just fine.

They will not even consider supporting it as an integrated part of an OEM fuel system though. They will not even entertain questions about it. I think for me the major issue is the range, the MPG is not as much of an issue. So I will be looking into that for my truck.

The 1500 trucks suck big time for off road use as well as any real towing in remote locations. I think it is the independent front suspension that causes most of the issues. I had a 2007 Ram 1500 and I absolutely hated it for anything but trips to and from work or very lite hauling. The PW does just about everything very well, but the dam MPG and range really hurts. The new 6.7 Cummins gets about the same MPG as our trucks 10-11 towing and 15-16 empty, then add to that the much higher maintenance costs and the Urea with all the associated emissions maintenance and you really have a deep hole to climb out of when running a modern diesel. You really have to need the towing power to justify one now. A 5 gallon aux gas can would equal the additional range of the diesel. Don't forget the 31 gallon tanks the diesels have now so now you are about equal in range to a new diesel Cummins 6.7.

Our service truck at work is killing us on maintenance cost and we will be going to a gas engine next time. FYI we average about 5-6 MPG in our LWB regular cab with a utility bed, compressor, fluids, tools, parts and such. On the Highway the display says were getting just under 11 MPG. The oil change is almost $100 in just oil and filters alone, thats not even counting labor disposal fee etc.

If I got a Cummins I would look for one that is 2006 or older as in 2007 they really got slammed with emissions crap like the DPF and doser valve and such.
My build 2009 3G

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:45 pm

'12 and under would what I'd consider for a Cummins; '13 is when they added the exhaust fluid. My boss has a '12 single up that is getting 16 in town, 12 towing a triple axle fifth wheel.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:48 am

Cactus Red wrote:'12 and under would what I'd consider for a Cummins; '13 is when they added the exhaust fluid. My boss has a '12 single up that is getting 16 in town, 12 towing a triple axle fifth wheel.

Your correct that 12 was when they added the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) for the Nox catalyst on lite duty trucks like the Ram. However the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the diesel doser valve (DDV) are on the 2007.5 and up. The HD fleet units got DEF systems in 2010 and our first group with the DEF systems was in 2011. Some are now over 250,000 miles. The DPF and DDV are what kills the fuel economy especially when working the engine hard.

The urea injection is for the Nox scrubbing catalyst to chemically react and also sucks up the urea when working the engine hard. I work with a fleet of nearly 400 here and the factory still does not have any of the systems working properly. We have ISB, ISM, ISX, ISL and ISNG (natural gas). We even have the industrial version of the 6.7 in the Hybrid units. I personally still would not consider anything newer than 2007.5 for me to own.

This diesel emissions fiasco reminds me of the early 1980's when cars started this emissions stuff. They will figure things out but it will take time. When those cars came out all the mechanics kept their 1979 and earlier cars and trucks due to the reliability and expense problems of the 1980 and newer cars. The new Diesel emissions have been much the same.

Our latest group is the ISL and it uses the primary injectors to dispense fuel to heat the DPF and allow it to regen (self clean) by injecting the needed extra fuel on the exhaust stroke. The exhaust manifolds are split to allow for EGR (back 3 cylinders) and regen (front three cylinders) to be done at the same time during normal road operation. This gets rid of the DDV mounted down stream of the turbo in the exhaust and this change is a major improvement over the reliability of the DDV. They also added inlet and outlet nox sensors that are not cheap (1,100 new and 450 rebuilt). Those are the biggest changes on our 2011 and up engines.

So far EGR coolers leaking coolant into the exhaust has been an issue since day one on these new units. We saw fleet wide issues by 50,000 miles, although some failed in far less than 10,000 miles. The new coolers seem to be holding up better though. Proper cooling system bleeding is a major issue in the EGR cooler failures and were likely caused by the factory at the time of assembly.

My build 2009 3G

Beginners reading list: