adeluca73's Build - 2014 POWER WAGON SLT - FLAME RED TWO TONE

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

DOR Steering Box Brace

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Look what just arrived from Danny at DOR. This thing is massive & heavy & just over the top ridiculous HD steel, & the hardware is no joke. I'll have to have a 2nd set of hands or a floor jack to hold this thing in place during installation, wow!
Attachments
image.jpeg
DOR Steering Box Brace
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 am
Model Year: 2014
Location: Georgia

Re: DOR Steering Box Brace

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:16 pm

adeluca73 wrote:Look what just arrived from Danny at DOR. This thing is massive & heavy & just over the top ridiculous HD steel, & the hardware is no joke. I'll have to have a 2nd set of hands or a floor jack to hold this thing in place during installation, wow!
Subscribed... I ordered one from Synergy, because it didn't say it wouldn't fit a power wagon, but it wouldn't fit a power wagon... Curious to see how you like that one...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW aka "optimus" mod thread

Post by gun45boat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:52 pm

adeluca73 wrote:Well, let's see, it's cast, yes, but from an engineering perspective, high-strength nodular iron is a type of reinforced ductile iron, whose iron structure is infused with spheroidal graphite and quenched--the composition of the graphite (the quality of it's spheroidal shape) determines the matrix structure which set the material properties, and then the quenching properties set the hardness--it's the birnell hardness rating that's more important than the yield strength, and this type of nodular iron is built to take hits. This isn't a load bearing piece, it needs to facilitate radative and conductive heat transfer of the hot gear fluid, and protect from intrusions. In the few months it's been on, I have bashed it a few times already. No cracks, a few scuffs and a little ding along the fastner edge, but nothing major. But I don't live out west, YET, so we'll see once I retire from the military and move west... :rockon:

True,,, I will make sure to have 3 quarts of Gear lube and some Duck tape when we wheel Moab :wink: :wink: :wink:

I do like the way they did the drain and fill plugs though 8-)

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: DOR Steering Box Brace

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:42 pm

adeluca73 wrote:Look what just arrived from Danny at DOR. This thing is massive & heavy & just over the top ridiculous HD steel, & the hardware is no joke. I'll have to have a 2nd set of hands or a floor jack to hold this thing in place during installation, wow!
Oooh, I've been eyeing one of those.

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

DOR Steering Box Brace

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:54 pm

MOD: steering Box Brace
VENOR: DOR (Danny Gaston)
COST: $150 + Shipping
TIME: 2Hr all in
DIfficulty: Light-Moderate

Installed the DOR brace yesterday. Used the base auto hobby shop because they have more tools, & more importantly lifts, so I'm not laying on my back! The install is pretty straight forward, but I recommend completely dropping the sway bar on both sides. If you just back out the passenger side bolts, there really isn't much room to fanagle that 12lb brace over top and then underneath the sway bar. Using an impact makes zipping the bolts in way faster when you're holding the weight of the sway bar & brace with one hand. Also the sector shaft calls for 185ft-lbf torque, but the hobby shop didn't have a 44mm or 1.75" socket, & most of you probably don't I'd guess, my biggest is 37mm & 1 3/8", so I had to use a giant crescent to take off the Pittman arm bolt & tighten the sector shaft extension, which means I was guessing on the torque number.

I put the sway bar through the back of the brace, bungeed then together & lifted the sway bar in place, zipped in passenger side sway bar bushing bolts ½ way, then started the steering box bolt so everything & all weight was being supported by something, then used the ole dead blow persuader to alight the brace holes with the drivers side frame sway bushing holes & with the sway bar itself, started one bolt, aligned for the other, then loosely mounted the shaft bearing race, & stated tightening & torquing in order. Also greased the bearing shaft & hit all bolts with silver anti-seize.

Overall, I honestly don't feel any difference in steering precision, stiffness, or any other basic driver feedback mechanism right now. And it might feel a tad looser than before installed the brace & not sure why either.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Sway bar dropped
image.jpeg
Right bolt is going through brace into gear box
image.jpeg
Almost in place
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:44 pm
Model Year: 2009

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Colibri » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:00 am

Strange about the steering feel, I have no experience with the one sided stabilizer but my regular one made a noticeable difference. I hope you get the looseness figured out soon. Soooo much nicer working on a lift eh?
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

DOR Brace

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks Colibri...lifts do make life easier! I'm not sure why the steering hasn't tightened up w/ the brace. You're right, most I've looked into tie the gear box into both frame rails to provide lateral stiffness in both directions, Danny claims that induces unnecessary lateral loads into the gear box & is more detrimental, & thus that's why he has decided on the one sided brace. The only thing I can try is to tighten up the sector shaft extension more and see how that goes.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Let there be LIGHT

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:14 pm

Minor update:

Ordered Phillips Hi intensity 5500K (white) colored LED's for the CHMCL (cargo lights) and for the Back-up lamps.

The Cargo LED's were about $10 for 2. The back-up lights were about $30ish for two. Use the auto bulb finder here:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applicati ... gmain.aspx

to get the bulb numbers for each type, the search on Amazon for those numbers.

Overall, yes, there was improvement, a lot, eh, maybe enough to justify the cost of the upgrade....
Attachments
image.jpeg
Back -up & cargo LEDs
Last edited by adeluca73 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Dropped some LBs, and an ugly wart

Post by adeluca73 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:20 pm

So this mod has been a long time coming. I've wanted to dump that resonator can the 1st week I brought my PW home. I ordered the mufflex replacement muffler within the 1st month, and almost had the shop cut off the resonator and dump the exhaust just aft the spare. I chickened out because I was terrified of driving around in a red neck mobile that was unbearably loud and screamed A-hole on board. Plus in my ehh, 40's, having to blast the radio so I don't hear my exhaust droning on isn't particularly palatable, so I held off. I drug that can pretty bad on the last excursion and decided I'd live with the audible consequences.

Well, all that fuss was for not. It's no louder at all on the highway, can't tell any difference on cruise at 50, 55, 60, 65 or 70. Drove 50 miles with the can removed this weekend, and about the only noticeable difference was on initial start up and acceleration between 20-40mph it's definitely louder, but not terrible. If you're considering it---do it. :rockon:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Dumped aft the spare, welded on a no cost spare flare
image.jpeg
Here's the heretical appendage
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:16 am
Model Year: 2010

Re: Let there be LIGHT

Post by Will » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:04 am

adeluca73 wrote:Minor update:

Ordered Phillips Hi intensity 5500K (white) colored LED's for the CHMCL (cargo lights) and for the Back-up lamps.

The Cargo LED's were about $10 for 2. The back-up lights were about $30ish for two. Use the auto bulb finder here:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applicati ... gmain.aspx

to get the bulb numbers for each type, the search on Amazon for those numbers.

Overall, yes, there was improvement, a lot, eh, maybe enough to justify the cost of the upgrade....
I'm still rocking the el cheapo led light under my hitch, I've drug it through mud and across a log and it's still working fine. As bright as my headlights on low. :lol:
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... erse+light
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by gun45boat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 am

Great job. Looks great...

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Re: Let there be LIGHT

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Will wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:Minor update:

Ordered Phillips Hi intensity 5500K (white) colored LED's for the CHMCL (cargo lights) and for the Back-up lamps.

The Cargo LED's were about $10 for 2. The back-up lights were about $30ish for two. Use the auto bulb finder here:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applicati ... gmain.aspx

to get the bulb numbers for each type, the search on Amazon for those numbers.

Overall, yes, there was improvement, a lot, eh, maybe enough to justify the cost of the upgrade....
I'm still rocking the el cheapo led light under my hitch, I've drug it through mud and across a log and it's still working fine. As bright as my headlights on low. :lol:
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... erse+light
I have an el cheapo back up light that plugs into the trailer wiring harness, it's bright, portable, cheap!

Blazer C8020 Back-Up / Utility Light - White , $15.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: DOR Brace

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:03 am

adeluca73 wrote:Thanks Colibri...lifts do make life easier! I'm not sure why the steering hasn't tightened up w/ the brace. You're right, most I've looked into tie the gear box into both frame rails to provide lateral stiffness in both directions, Danny claims that induces unnecessary lateral loads into the gear box & is more detrimental, & thus that's why he has decided on the one sided brace. The only thing I can try is to tighten up the sector shaft extension more and see how that goes.
Were you able to get the steering sorted out? I'm trying to decide if the DOR brace is worth the risk or if I should just dump the smart bar for a Thuren torsion bar with HBS brace.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:44 pm
Model Year: 2009

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Colibri » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:46 pm

The single biggest improvement I have ever made to my truck was ditching the smartbar for a torsion style. It smoothed out the front end considerably
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

User avatar
Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:16 am
Model Year: 2010

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Will » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Colibri wrote:The single biggest improvement I have ever made to my truck was ditching the smartbar for a torsion style. It smoothed out the front end considerably
I wish you'd quit talking about that. :lol: I swear mine sways more with the dumb sway bar completely removed than it did when it was on and manually disconnected, must be in my head and I can't swing the price of Dons right now. :(
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1687
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:44 pm
Model Year: 2009

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Colibri » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Hahahaha sorry will! I'll keep it zipped from now on :rofl:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Re: DOR Brace

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:32 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:Thanks Colibri...lifts do make life easier! I'm not sure why the steering hasn't tightened up w/ the brace. You're right, most I've looked into tie the gear box into both frame rails to provide lateral stiffness in both directions, Danny claims that induces unnecessary lateral loads into the gear box & is more detrimental, & thus that's why he has decided on the one sided brace. The only thing I can try is to tighten up the sector shaft extension more and see how that goes.
Were you able to get the steering sorted out? I'm trying to decide if the DOR brace is worth the risk or if I should just dump the smart bar for a Thuren torsion bar with HBS brace.
I did. I had to loosen everything, pull the bearing race off, retorqued the sector shaft, recentered the endlinks & then tighten it all up again & seems to have gotten better now.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: DOR Brace

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 am

adeluca73 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:Thanks Colibri...lifts do make life easier! I'm not sure why the steering hasn't tightened up w/ the brace. You're right, most I've looked into tie the gear box into both frame rails to provide lateral stiffness in both directions, Danny claims that induces unnecessary lateral loads into the gear box & is more detrimental, & thus that's why he has decided on the one sided brace. The only thing I can try is to tighten up the sector shaft extension more and see how that goes.
Were you able to get the steering sorted out? I'm trying to decide if the DOR brace is worth the risk or if I should just dump the smart bar for a Thuren torsion bar with HBS brace.
I did. I had to loosen everything, pull the bearing race off, retorqued the sector shaft, recentered the endlinks & then tighten it all up again & seems to have gotten better now.
I bet one of these would help. http://www.toolschest.com/mstl31578.html

:thppt:

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Link doesn't work, but if it's Torque Wrenchs--I have 4: 10in-lb to 250 ft-lb :thppt: . I dont have a 6" deep 44mm socket though & that's what you'd need to set the sector shaft extension to 185 ft-lb, so I used a 3" crescent with a 2' pipe on the end and yanked like hell.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:16 am
Model Year: 2010

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Will » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Colibri wrote:Hahahaha sorry will! I'll keep it zipped from now on :rofl:
Thought about this again messing with the factory one today...I want new coils, shackles and the swaybar, holding out on tires...
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Will wrote:
Colibri wrote:Hahahaha sorry will! I'll keep it zipped from now on :rofl:
Thought about this again messing with the factory one today...I want new coils, shackles and the swaybar, holding out on tires...
Expensive lust (list) you got there Will :cash:
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:04 pm

adeluca73 wrote:Link doesn't work, but if it's Torque Wrenchs--I have 4: 10in-lb to 250 ft-lb :thppt: . I dont have a 6" deep 44mm socket though & that's what you'd need to set the sector shaft extension to 185 ft-lb, so I used a 3" crescent with a 2' pipe on the end and yanked like hell.
Link works for me but is a 1 7/8" crows foot. You can get them in 44mm too.

Black Pearl
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:28 am
Model Year: 2013

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Black Pearl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 am

Love the White Knuckle sliders. Driving out to pick mine up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe its my middle age crisis but I love the red. It just is so bold.
Nice rig

User avatar
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: The Pentagon, VA

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
adeluca73 wrote:Link doesn't work, but if it's Torque Wrenchs--I have 4: 10in-lb to 250 ft-lb :thppt: . I dont have a 6" deep 44mm socket though & that's what you'd need to set the sector shaft extension to 185 ft-lb, so I used a 3" crescent with a 2' pipe on the end and yanked like hell.
Link works for me but is a 1 7/8" crows foot. You can get them in 44mm too.
Ha, yes I do, first time I've seen those. Would have to adjust/recalculate the torque based on the centerline length of the extension.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Black Pearl
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:28 am
Model Year: 2013

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Post by Black Pearl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:13 pm

Just drove out and picked up my White Knuckle sliders in Apple Valley Ca. Those guys are gnarly. Crazy how much steel is in that place! Funky little off the path thing...And then the doors open up and its like holy crap!
I was in and out with some stories on how they got on the map in 15 min.
Natilie on the phone was very helpful and extreme knowledgeable.
Cant wait till they are on!!!

Post Reply