TD's 2014 Red PW Build Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Mufflex MagnaFlow muffler replacement

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am

Mod: Replaced factory GIANT muffler with the NEW mufflex bolt on MagnaFlow based kit, 3.5" in and 3.5" out.

Purpose: Increase low end grunt (sound quality), reduce the unnecessary back pressure caused by the factor muffler's buttefly valve that only opens beyond half throttle, which should provide a bit more low end power at lower throttle inputs (I drive like a granny, so I rarely punch it past half throttle).

Cost/Source: $295+S&H, https://www.mufflex-performance.com

Install: Easy-to-medium difficulty.
1) Hardest part was prying the factory muffler hangers off their rubber mounts. Drench it with WD-40/Fluid Film and use a LONG pry-bar. I had a 18", maybe 24" bar, and I couldn't get it loose lying on my creeper in the garage. I took it to the base hobby -shop, put it on a lift, and used their 5ft pry bar and it came right off.
2) Directions recommended pulling the entire tailpipe / resonantor off. Well that's like 4' of pipe, I just loosened it all the way, took some bungees and supported it's weight and installed the new muffler and then tightened everything back up.
3) Remove the old muffler's 2 clamps, retain the stock rear bank clamp that attaches the tailpipe to muffler, install new muffler using the mufflex provided front band clamp/hanger and the rear horsehore pipe clamp/hanger
4) Install the front band clamp on the muffler, slide front into the exhaust pipe hand tighten the clamp, insert the hanger into the rubber mount.
5) Install the rear horeshoe clamp on the rear of the welded SS pipe that Mufflex welds onto the MagnaFlow muffler, slide into the tailpipe, insert the horsehoe's rods into the rubber mounts, tigheten the horsehoe clamp around the Mufflex SS pipe, tighten the band clamp on the exhaust pipe.
6) Alternate tightenging front and rear band clamps till super tight.
:rockon:
Attachments
mufflex1.jpg
3.5" MagnaFlow + Mufflex welded on SS pipe extension
mufflex1.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
mufflex2.jpg
STOCK muffler inside view of butterfly valve
mufflex2.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Last edited by adeluca73 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
2014 Ram PW SLT: Two tone Flame Red & Black
Completed Mods: Ram door sill guards, Front air deflector, WeatherTech slimline window deflectors, DiamondBack HD cover coated w/ Line-X, Mufflex MagnaFlow muffler & Resonator delete, Opti-Coat Pro 2.0, DeeZee tailgate strut, DeeZee ¼" fitted bed mat, Factor-55: FlatLink winch hook/Shorty Strap 3.0/Hitchlink 2.5, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, Locker by-pass, AEM dry filter, Truxedo LED bed lights wired into RamBox Connector, WhiteKnuckle sliders w/ full-length diamond plate coated in Line-X, Purple Cranium rear diff guard, AEV front/rear diff cover, AEV RAI w/ pre-filter, AEV ProCal (Bootleg'd), DOR Steering Box Brace, Phillips Hi intensity LEDs in cargo lamps & back-ups, triple anti-hop shocks, Truxx PW specific front 1.5" level, AAM 4.88's, custom black-out work, Line-X front/rear bumpers & wheel flares, 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Plasti-dip PW wheels Black w/ Gunmetal metalizer, FilterMag kit, AMP Research BedStep
Next Mods: Thuren: {Coils, Track Bar, Boggie Bumps, King 2.5's shocks} , on-board air, HID low CANBUS replacement, LED HI, BD LED fogs

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW aka "optimus" mod thread

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am

Stickman wrote:Are you ordering from them directly through their Pennsylvania warehouse? That was the only place I could get mine from since I had no local dealers that could get them (Too expensive, imagine that) and that was the prices I got over the phone.
Stickman--YES, I ordered direct from them, talked with Jodan, good dude.
Completed Mods: Ram door sill guards, Front air deflector, WeatherTech slimline window deflectors, DiamondBack HD cover coated w/ Line-X, Mufflex MagnaFlow muffler & Resonator delete, Opti-Coat Pro 2.0, DeeZee tailgate strut, DeeZee ¼" fitted bed mat, Factor-55: FlatLink winch hook/Shorty Strap 3.0/Hitchlink 2.5, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, Locker by-pass, AEM dry filter, Truxedo LED bed lights wired into RamBox Connector, WhiteKnuckle sliders w/ full-length diamond plate coated in Line-X, Purple Cranium rear diff guard, AEV front/rear diff cover, AEV RAI w/ pre-filter, AEV ProCal (Bootleg'd), DOR Steering Box Brace, Phillips Hi intensity LEDs in cargo lamps & back-ups, triple anti-hop shocks, Truxx PW specific front 1.5" level, AAM 4.88's, custom black-out work, Line-X front/rear bumpers & wheel flares, 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Plasti-dip PW wheels Black w/ Gunmetal metalizer, FilterMag kit, AMP Research BedStep
Next Mods: Thuren: {Coils, Track Bar, Boggie Bumps, King 2.5's shocks} , on-board air, HID low CANBUS replacement, LED HI, BD LED fogs

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
vanished wrote:So is that pretty PW going to be hanging out in Huber Heights area next week? I'll be out that way for work... Would like to check out one of the new wagons (unfortunately I'll be in a rental car!)
Copy---I live just north of Huber. Let me know when you'll be in town and we can link up.
PM sent...

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I wonder when they started using the butterfly valve? That sure is a potential problem area for performance once it seizes due to rust.
My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:59 am

How are you liking the muffler? Is it really loud? I want to do a muffler on mine but I don't want the in cab drone that gets annoying on long trips...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal ;)

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

How are you liking the muffler? I want to do one on mine but don't want anything really loud...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal ;)

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm

14PowerWaggy wrote:How are you liking the muffler? I want to do one on mine but don't want anything really loud...

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Mufflex MagnaFlow review

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Pics of the new vs old muffler.

Sound is awesome at idle--deep & throaty. Moderate sound through acceleration from stop to speed. Light drone at 55-65 mph. It's bordeline annoying--have to increase radio from 11 to 13 for same level of listening. Drone is gone at 70mph. My fuel economy decreased by about 0.4mpg. Power band has chAnged, computer had to relearn shift points. Seems like it's drawing out the RPMs between shifts over stock. Still deciding if I'm going to keep it or put the stock muffler back on. The difference in weight is substantial. The mufflex is about ½ the weight of stock.

I took sound pressure readings from inside the cab at idle, 55, 65, 70mph. I'll post the db level & the FFT of the location of the frequency of the first mode later.
Attachments
image.jpg
Stock muffler: 39" end-to-end
image.jpg
New mufflex mangaflow
IMG_1897.jpg
Last edited by adeluca73 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:35 am

adeluca73 wrote:Pics of the new vs old muffler.

Sound is awesome at idle--deep & throaty. Moderate sound through acceleration from stop to speed. Light drone at 55-65 mph. It's bordeline annoying--have to increase radio from 11 to 13 for same level of listening. Drone is gone at 70mph. My fuel economy decreased by about 0.4mpg. Power band has chAnged, computer had to relearn shift points. Seems like it's drawing out the RPMs between shifts over stock. Still deciding if I'm going to keep it or put the stock muffler back on. The difference in weight is substantial. The mufflex is about ½ the weight of stock.

I took sound pressure readings from inside the cab at idle, 55, 65, 70mph. I'll post the db level & the FFT of the location of the frequency of the first mode later.
Did you keep the resonator that sits towards the end of the tail pipe next to the spare tire on? I loved my Magnaflow on my 2011 so was planning on putting one on my 2014. When you say the power band has changed can you elaborate?

Thanks for being the guinea pig! ;)
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

MagnaFlow Review (cont'd)

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 am

I spoke with the Mufflex designer of the 2014 6.4L replacement and he offered two recommendations:
  • No matter what muffler option you choose, theirs or another, DO NOT REMOVE THE RESONATOR--it will be unbearable
  • The straight through option they offer is too loud at all speeds and RPMs
The power band, from my calibrated ass gauge, seems to have changed. The back-flow pressure built-up with the stock muffler seems to provide a bit more "launch and punch" from about 20-30 mph at 1/4 throttle accelerating to 1/2 or greater throttle.

After about 120+ more miles, the gas mileage seems to have recovered back to pre-mufflex.

Here's the avg SPL db reading results:
  • Idle, Fan @ 1, Windows up: 49.5db, 345Hz 1st mode.
  • Idle, Fan @ 1, Windows down: 54.2db, 129Hz 1st mode.
  • 55mph, Fan @ 1, Windows up: 65db, 388Hz 1st mode.
  • 65mph, Fan @ 1, Windows up: 68.2db, 388-410Hz 1st mode.
  • 70mph, Fan @ 1, Windows up: 69.8db, 380Hz 1st mode.
10 * log10 (2x pwr increase) = +3.01 dB
3 dB increase is, by definition, a doubling of input power over the baseline measurement.
Good rules of thumb:
+3 dB = twice the acoustic power, or sound intensity, a calculated value
+6 dB = twice the voltage intensity, or sound pressure level, a measured quantity
+10 dB = twice the amplification or perceived volume, which is the subjective loudness nearly sensed using a psychoacoustics survey

So the change from Idle w/ windows up to 70mph is about +16db. 16db/6db = +2.66x change in sound pressure level. 16db/3db = +5.33x increase in acoustic power, and 16db/10db = 1.5x louder.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:52 pm

adeluca73 wrote:I spoke with the Mufflex designer of the 2014 6.4L replacement and he offered two recommendations:
  • No matter what muffler option you choose, theirs or another, DO NOT REMOVE THE RESONATOR--it will be unbearable
The power band, from my calibrated ass gauge, seems to have changed. The back-flow pressure built-up with the stock muffler seems to provide a bit more "launch and punch" from about 20-30 mph at 1/4 throttle accelerating to 1/2 or greater throttle.

After about 120+ more miles, the gas mileage seems to have recovered back to pre-mufflex.

3 dB increase is, by definition, a doubling of input power over the baseline measurement.
Good rules of thumb:
+6 dB = twice the voltage intensity, or sound pressure level, a measured quantity
+10 dB = twice the amplification or perceived volume, which is the subjective loudness nearly sensed using a psychoacoustics survey

So the change from Idle w/ windows up to 70mph is about +16db. 16db/6db = +2.66x change in sound pressure level. 16db/3db = +5.33x increase in acoustic power, and 16db/10db = 1.5x louder.
Can't ask for a better answer than that... Would love to hear what you think about it in another 500 or 600 hundred miles... I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if you do decide to go back to stock...

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 am

adeluca73 wrote:I spoke with the Mufflex designer of the 2014 6.4L replacement and he offered two recommendations:

Good rules of thumb:

Thanks for the great info!!! That's too bad about having to leave the resonator on. I don't like how it looks hanging down in the back.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for the great info!!! That's too bad about having to leave the resonator on. I don't like how it looks hanging down in the back.
I don't like the way it looks either... I wonder if it could be moved back up under the truck? Or is it in that location for a reason? Does it have to be that close to the tail pipe to keep the sound down or did they just run out of real estate with the gigantic factory muffler?

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 am

That weighted back pressure butterfly valve could be the reason you lost some punch in the bottom end once the OEM muffler was removed. I'm sure they didn't design that and go to the trouble of putting it into production if it had no effect on performance. I just wonder when they started using those valves inside the muffler. I'm betting it is a 6.4L specific item.

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW aka

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:57 pm

JBM Power Wagon wrote:
Copy-- me either, but I don't think I can handle any louder at all. So it's staying. Comfort wins over looks at this point!

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm

14PowerWaggy wrote:
I don't like the way it looks either... I wonder if it could be moved back up under the truck? Or is it in that location for a reason? Does it have to be that close to the tail pipe to keep the sound down or did they just run out of real estate with the gigantic factory muffler?
The resonator's job is to take exhaust sound waves, and through internal geometry, force the waves to interfere and ameliorating it's effect over a specified frequency range, and the baffling absorbs other frequencies that aren't designed to reflect and cancel. The length of exhaust before the resonator determines the frequency range and amplitude of the exhaust pulses that the resonator sees. Moving the resonator further forward toward the engine changes the amplitude of the waves hitting the resonator. The resonator and muffler were designed to work together to achieve a specific sound at a specific sound pressure level. The stock system does a great job of providing a very unobtrusive cabin level of comfort. The resonator is designed to optimize engine efficiency and performance---I think I may have interrupted the design's intention with my ill-thought, rash MagnaFlow purchase.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 pm

azracer wrote:That weighted back pressure butterfly valve could be the reason you lost some punch in the bottom end once the OEM muffler was removed. I'm sure they didn't design that and go to the trouble of putting it into production if it had no effect on performance. I just wonder when they started using those valves inside the muffler. I'm betting it is a 6.4L specific item.

I think you're correct. It's not there for looks! :idea:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

DiamondBack HD Cover Mod

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 pm

MOD: Install DiamondBack HD w/ Line-X truck cover

PURPOSE: I did not want the RamBoxes, and I didn't want another LEER/ARE topper. I was extremely dissatisfied with the LEER MX topper on my F150. I had a fully decked out LEER with the sliding & removable rear window and sliding windoors with the sliding screens and it was miserable. After the first winter all the locks corroded frozen shut. I even applied petroleum jelly and teflon grease to the all the locks before winter and it still didn't help. Leer replaced all the locking hardware and all the screw fasteners that were also corroded. The same thing happened the next winter.

For the PW I wanted a secure cargo area that I could load on-top of and also still utilize the bed for tall items w/o completely removing the cover. The Diamondback HD answers all of these requirements. I can load 1600lbs on-top of the cover, which is over the max load of the PW. The locking mechanism for the fwd and rear panels are two ¼ " steel locking rods that anchor under the bed rails. The cover is diamond plated covered in Line-X, which is fade resistant and slip resistant. The cover is water tight, equipped with thick weatherstripping around the perimeter, and each seam between the three panels has a designed water gutter that funnels water out the sides of the cover. The fwd and rear panels are equipped with 4 hydraulic shocks that keep the cover panels open. All of the hardware is easily replaceable and DiamondBack carries spares of all the hardware if something needs repaired. It comes equipped with 10 tie-down cleats.

You can add a hi or low cab guard to this cover. THere's also a complete ATV top load kit available to add to this cover. The kit comes with large ATV ramps to drive up the side of your truck on the cover, large wheel retaining bars that you'll have to drill and mount to the cover, and an extension platform to fit two ATVs side by side if you don't have an 8' bed.

PRICE/VENDOR: The 6'-6'5" HD cover runs just over $1300, the Line-X option is about $300, the shipping was about $190. http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/hd/

INSTALL: Easy-to-Moderate. The directions state the install is 45-60 min with two adults. It took me just over 90 min to install it with my 7yr old son. If I did it over again, I'd ignore the majority of the instructions because they create more work than necessary.
  • Do not attach the clamps on the center section until the very end. Once you attach them, even loosely, the cover is nearly impossible to slide and adjust
  • Oil the hinge rods before installing panels on the center section. The HD panels are heavy and bit awkward, two people really do make it easier. I had a hell of a time with getting them on and aligned.
  • Once both panels are attached, Spend EXTRA time ensuring the cover is square with all four corners.
  • Lift up the tailgate panel and slide under and attach the clamps to the center section. Use a torque wrench. It states tighten to 30ft-lbs. I didn't, and snapped the first screw, and then had to run to the h/w store for a replacement.
  • Adjusting the locking rods to fit inside the bed rails and then aligning their mounting tabs was the biggest pain of all. You have to ensure that when you put the lock into the closed position the rods should be pulling the cover closed tight in tension, and in the open position, the rods should release tension. I had to do it 3 times to get it right. The alignment tabs require a 14mm socket tightened to 10ft-lbs, and I snapped one of those too.
  • Attach the shocks, close the cover, check the open/close function, and re-check the alignment.
Attachments
DB_HD1.jpg
Box Arrived
DB_HD2.jpg
Inside...
IMG_1909.JPG
Center panel
IMG_1911.JPG
Side shot
IMG_1921.JPG
Top View
IMG_1923.JPG
Driver's side
IMG_1925.JPG
Passenger side

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 am

Any pics of it in open position? I really like it. And looks sweet on your truck
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and shackles--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Nitto trail grapplers--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:35 am

Nice looking Diamondback!!! That's too bad about your overall performance of the Magnaflow. I had a Magnaflow muffler on my Titan and then again on my 2011 PW and was extremely happy with both. You have me thinking I will wait a little while on my 2014 before I change the muffler out. I really do want a better rumble but I don't want to lose any performance, especially when towing.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:37 am

That is a great cover... :rockon: :rockon:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:41 am

nts007 wrote:Any pics of it in open position? I really like it. And looks sweet on your truck
Copy. I do have some, but they suck. They're all at night when I installed it and they are all blurry and dark. I'll take some in the driveway, in the day, so you can see it. I need to adjust the entire cover back about 1-2" toward the tailgate. The directions state to align the bulkhead end of the cover with the outer edge of the bed box rail, but the Ram's rear edge is parabolic, concave in; therefore any alignment edge will result in another edge not being aligned. I aligned the cover with the right and left edges, resulting in the cover extending about 1-2" beyond the min inflection pt (think derivative = 0!!!). The seal isn't great, and a quick call to customer service and they sent me a pic of one otheir own employee's '13 2500 Ram with an HD cover, showing the alignment with the min edge of the bed rail. What a PIA, now I have to crawl under there, remove all four bed clamps, climb out, realign, slide back underneath, and resintall the clamps, w/o hopefully snapping any of the hardware. :doh:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: TD's 2014 Red PW aka

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:46 am

JBM Power Wagon wrote:Nice looking Diamondback!!! That's too bad about your overall performance of the Magnaflow. I had a Magnaflow muffler on my Titan and then again on my 2011 PW and was extremely happy with both. You have me thinking I will wait a little while on my 2014 before I change the muffler out. I really do want a better rumble but I don't want to lose any performance, especially when towing.

JBMPW===yeah it is. What I really need to do is get the truck put on a dynamometer and get a plot of RPM vs Torque and HP and comapre that to hopefully some published data that Ram has out there on the 6.4L with 4.10's. I can only go by feel, and I honestly installed that Magnaflow after about 1 week of owning it, so I don't really have a great baseline performance feel of the truck to be honest. So, maybe its all in my mind, because I keep telling myself that weighted valve was put there by the engineeers for a reason, and the magnaflow doens't have one, so it must be performing worse..... :angry:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 am

azracer wrote:That weighted back pressure butterfly valve could be the reason you lost some punch in the bottom end once the OEM muffler was removed. I'm sure they didn't design that and go to the trouble of putting it into production if it had no effect on performance. I just wonder when they started using those valves inside the muffler. I'm betting it is a 6.4L specific item.

Ok, I broke down and did some research on the ubiquotous "butterfly weighted valve". I found a FlowMaster on-line instruction manual for replacing the Challenger's SRT-8 6.4L muffler's with their performance pipes and there's a blurb about the factor butterfly valve:

"Special Note: The stock exhaust system on these vehicles is fitted with “adaptive valves”. They are basically spring
loaded butterfly valves installed to create backpressure, thereby, controlling sound. There is a backpressure sensor
installed in the converter portion of the system that will set a MIL code (Malfunction Indicator Light) if the backpressure is
out of parameters. Due to the reduction in backpressure (Increased Power) that this system provides, the MIL light may
come on under very aggressive driving/hard acceleration; however, it should go off again after 3-5 engine start/stop
cycles. The sensor is basically in place to signal if the butterfly gets stuck. Performance is not affected when the MIL is on.
If desired, the use of a programmer may allow this function to be disabled."

Here's a 6.4L ramfourm that talks about the mufflex kit adding pwr, specifically because the butterfly valve isn't there: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/6_4_hd_hemi ... ex118.html

So I guess I'm nuts then.... :wtf:

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Diamondback looks awesome! Now if I can only save up enough for mine. Bills just seem to be never ending.
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187