2010 Improvements

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Re: 2010 Improvements

Post by Will » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 am

I feel it rides better disengaged for the most part. I did haul a tractor yesterday and could feel more sway so I locked it and that made a difference, but for normal driving, I like it. I like having the option and not having to go as slow as a turtle to disconnect. :D
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:15 pm

I agree with that I did really enjoy no swaybar

Sent from that big land mass the rest of the world hates
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 am

I've been running no sway bar now for a year. Including towing. I haven't had any issues. Even going around off ramps at speed. It's a really fast back forth that would do it but even then it doesn't lose traction. Just makes your head hit the window
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by gtomike60 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Is the EVO disconnect the same one they use for the Rubicon?
Or is it a different part # for the PowerWagon?
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Same one as far as I know, one of the best mods, anything to bypass the factory nanny controls
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by gtomike60 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 am

Will wrote:Same one as far as I know, one of the best mods, anything to bypass the factory nanny controls
Exactly why I want it.
Mine takes forever to disengage in a level parking lot,and haven't been able to do it when offroad.
Just get the flashing light.
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:38 am

Sometimes I had to flex mine a little for it to disengage. Yeah, no more of that 18mph and below and only in 4wd crap. I can lock me lockers whenever, where ever, right then and have the swaybar manually disconnected for however long I want no matter what. I've actually gotten so used to the sway bar disconnected, I might just take all that off. :D

But you have to keep the smart bat and mount it somewhere so the 4WD service light doesn't come on.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 am

Well after tagging the deer, I took off the Plasti Dip and ordered a new factory bumper. In the mean time, I cut this one so I can still use the winch.

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Looks good. What would happend if you cut it straight across the bottom?
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:19 am

gtomike60 wrote:
Will wrote:Same one as far as I know, one of the best mods, anything to bypass the factory nanny controls
Exactly why I want it.
Mine takes forever to disengage in a level parking lot,and haven't been able to do it when offroad.
could just ditch it for a Thuren bar with disconnect links and pick up some street ride also...?

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by gtomike60 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:40 am

2wagons1driveway wrote:
gtomike60 wrote:
Exactly why I want it.
could just ditch it for a Thuren bar with disconnect links and pick up some street ride also...?

Sent from Canada

True.But this way is only $100 shipped.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 am

I think mine rides better on the street with it disconnected. When you turn into elevated drives or cross speed bumps with one tire then the other, the truck stays level instead of swaying. Now, in curves, it does lean more but you get used to that. The topper and some weight in the back of mine may be whats making the difference but the front definitely floats much better. I could probably just take the entire setup off and be fine. At least then, my tires wouldn't rub the sway bar.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 am

gtomike60 wrote:
2wagons1driveway wrote:
gtomike60 wrote: Exactly why I want it.

Sent from Canada

True.But this way is only $100 shipped.
you'll barelly ever have to disconnect the Thuren bar. The amount of articulation u get with it is three times what the factory bar will allow when connected. And it's a ride improvement but still allows you to corner without lifting a tire

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 am

Will wrote:I think mine rides better on the street with it disconnected. When you turn into elevated drives or cross speed bumps with one tire then the other, the truck stays level instead of swaying. Now, in curves, it does lean more but you get used to that. The topper and some weight in the back of mine may be whats making the difference but the front definitely floats much better. I could probably just take the entire setup off and be fine. At least then, my tires wouldn't rub the sway bar.
I just sold my Carli bar. My right rear wheel came off ground yesterday just enough for traction control to freak out and limit power

It's nice having a bar in there for everyday use but the factory bar rides way to stiff for most of us. For guys with in bed campers probably best to leave factory bar in there!

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 am

To save space on the shock sticky thread, I'll jump over here because I'm about to make a decision. I've gotten away from the over the counter shocks; the Ranchos are toasted in 35K miles. I've been talking to Don and I am on the fence about his tuned Fox 2.0's or the Kings. It's looks, sounds and appears like the Fox will do what I want but curious about the longevity of each before needed to be rebuilt. I'm not going to be hitting dunes and such here in Florida, mostly backwoods trails with washouts and occasional power lines of sand that could allow some speed. On top of it all, my future plans will be to sell my topper and Bedslide and lighten the truck some (in about 8-10months) Once I get done with my current project, I wont need that stuff anymore and wont need to carry around 400-500lbs in the bed all of the time and will probably go with tube style bumpers and such.

Using the search and searching the internet provides hours upoon hours of threads to sort through. Has anyone on here had both or been around both to provide any education on whether the Kings are worth the extra cost? I could spend the same amount and get a steering brace and upgrade a couple of more items with the Fox versus spending it all on the Kings.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 am

Will wrote:To save space on the shock sticky thread, I'll jump over here because I'm about to make a decision. I've gotten away from the over the counter shocks; the Ranchos are toasted in 35K miles. I've been talking to Don and I am on the fence about his tuned Fox 2.0's or the Kings. It's looks, sounds and appears like the Fox will do what I want but curious about the longevity of each before needed to be rebuilt. I'm not going to be hitting dunes and such here in Florida, mostly backwoods trails with washouts and occasional power lines of sand that could allow some speed. On top of it all, my future plans will be to sell my topper and Bedslide and lighten the truck some (in about 8-10months) Once I get done with my current project, I wont need that stuff anymore and wont need to carry around 400-500lbs in the bed all of the time and will probably go with tube style bumpers and such.

Using the search and searching the internet provides hours upoon hours of threads to sort through. Has anyone on here had both or been around both to provide any education on whether the Kings are worth the extra cost? I could spend the same amount and get a steering brace and upgrade a couple of more items with the Fox versus spending it all on the Kings.
Fox will do fine for what you describe and are just as durable as Kings are. If the Rancho shocks were okay for you until worn out then the Fox will be overkill for you. You might consider Thuren Overlands and Boogie bumps as an alternative... that setup is a huge upgrade on Rancho shocks. The Overlands really do well for light duty use (Heavy use for a stock PW). If you need the Fox shocks they would be a great choice too. While I like the Kings they are very costly and serve no real purpose if you are not running hard enough to really need them.

The Fox shocks are a great option and would be my choice if money was not an issue for what you describe. Boogie bumps too if you can swing it!
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 am

Cool, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time. There's so many opinions on the two and it appears the majority swings towards the Kings but I dont know if that is a bandwagon thing or legitimate opinions. I've never been the type to get something just because that's what everyone else has... if the cheaper Fox will do the job, I dont see why I need the Kings.

BTW, looking back, I wasn't ever really happy with the Rancho, it was the initial perception of going from completely worn out shocks to something that actually worked. :doh: As time went on, I found the truck didn't have the side to side sway like the factory ones did even when new but I could adjust them and they either had a harsh street ride and did ok offroad but bounced at speed or they would have a decent soft ride on the street but would easily bottom out. Seemed like there was nothing in between.

Thanks for the input, oh, if you get the Fox, can you just order Thurens from CJC or something and they'll be good or do I need to go through him on a specific valving? I'm going to stick with the factory coils and springs for now and maybe upgrade the coils and add shackles later.

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:37 am

I like to go through Thuren directly because I want all the monetary reward to go directly to him. He is why we have options that work for our needs. Yes CJC or Strapt are viable options and are exactly the same price but like I said I want my money in the hands of the producer of the product I want to buy. Reward the man who creates the product and he stays a viable option for us in the future.
My build 2009 3G

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 am

I get that, all my Thuren products have been ordered direct. I guess what I meant was are the FOX Thuren tuned his generic tune or are they customer specific like the King?

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Will wrote:I get that, all my Thuren products have been ordered direct. I guess what I meant was are the FOX Thuren tuned his generic tune or are they customer specific like the King?
I would trust Don to make the choice if you are able to convey what your needs are and are being honest with yourself when doing so. If it were me and I needed custom personalized valving I would step up to Kings.

A Thuren Generic tune is not a stock Fox valved shock. So I think his Fox 2.0 package should work really good and with Boogie bumps you will have a very well balanced advanced suspension system. Generic or "FOX valving" will not be all that great. I know King generic valving sucks big time!. You are going to make a huge difference with just the Fox 2.0 kit from Thuren. If you don't need the King stiff High speed performance then put that extra money into a full set of boogie bumps and you will be very happy!
My build 2009 3G

Beginners reading list:

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Does he do specific tuning on the Fox or no? He's emailed me the Kings are way better but they're much more expensive. Are they twice as good?

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:06 pm

Screw it, go big or go home, right!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:21 pm

There's no significant performance difference between king and fox on the higher end shocks, six of one half a dozen of the other so to speak. There are proprietary features that may appeal to you and sway your decision (fox has dual speed compression adjusters and King has full sized internal bypass Pistons etc) but both are amazing when valved for your truck. The Thuren fox 2.0 isn't really in the same league but they would be an excellent choice for a truck that is a daily driver and weekend wheeler but isn't seriously abused at speed off-road. AZ is right on, Thuren overlands or his fox 2.0's and boogie bumps would ride great and allow some decent speed and protection for an oops moment but if you want custom valving and more performance don't bother with a 2.0 go 2.5 of either brand at least.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 pm

The larger the shock the wider the range of valving. with a 4.0 you can have the street ride of an overland but still have control over the shaft speed for big hits. The smaller diameter piston the narrower the range the valving can cover. The smaller the oil capacity the less time they can be used at maximum shaft speed and travel.

So a 4.5" can cover 2 to 9 stage, a 3.5" can cover 2 to 7 stage, a 3.0 can cover 2 to 6 stage and the 2.5" can cover a 2 to 5 stage and the overland can cover a 2 to lower end of 3 stage. You can always bias them one direction or the other the smaller diameter the faster they will fade due to heat.
Last edited by azracer on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My build 2009 3G

Beginners reading list:

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:11 am

Well, I went out to property yesterday, on the way back I hit the dirt road that is usually eat up with pot holes. I never really paid attention but I drive just as fast if not faster on the dirt roads than on pavement and a rain wash out caught me and I knew with the ABS shit, I might well stay at speed. Ba BAM, shocks bottom out and I now have a 3" crack in the windshield. I'm sure it started from a rock awhile back but never the less, I pulled over right then and shot Don an email to get going on the Kings. Mainly because of my unknown future plans of the truck. I know it's a DD but I have always driven aggressive off road except for this truck and that was mainly due to its past handling. I'm afraid that when I get a taste of "better" shocks, I'll kick myself in the ass for not going ahead and getting the custom valved ones. Plus, I'll be set up if I want to go further in the future. I'm slowly replacing parts as needed and upgrading so I suspect it's only a matter of time. I paid the last payment last month and should have the title next week which leaves me some mad money now. :D