Stickman's Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior Power Wagon Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Stickman's Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior Power Wagon Buil

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Those pocket flares will still rub the paint off under them. You might want to run some clear 3M tape on the body behind the flares.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks for the compliments and tips guys!

Colibri, you are correct, I contact the bottom 1' or better of that pinch weld while flexing, so I'm debating on chopping the hell out of everything (going to basically trim all that pinch weld, the bottom half of the back section of the inner fender and another good chunk of my flares) or just putting the flexing on hold and just buy a set of Thuren arms to move the axle forward and see what that gains me for clearance. I think a 1/2" would be just enough to clear everything on the rear with what I have clearanced now, then I would just need to trim the bumper and pull the inner fender forward and be done. We'll see, I really don't feel like chopping that much out if I don't have to.

Firerescue, you may be on to something, I haven't re-calibrated since my Trinity still is not fixed and is a paper weight in my truck. I figured the computer didn't go off known tire size for the mileage but that sounds plausible. I'll be sure to update here after I get the Trinity going and change that.

Reloader, thanks for the tip, I'll probably get around to doing that sometime then. Since I had to chop the lower section off the flares to clear the tires they aren't bolted on at the very bottom anymore so they move around as it is anyway.

As some of you may have seen on Facebook I got the fork lift out and flexed it to see what all contacted at full flex while the wheel was turned at different angles. I'm glad we have one because that was a breeze, also made for some good pics aswell. I can't believe how much more flex it has with these tires, it turned into a mini monster truck. And it's even better because it has literally no lift over stock, just the leveling kit. Peoples jaws almost hit the floor when they ask how much lift I have or who made my lift and I say "I don't have a lift, it's stock, just a leveling kit", lol. All my buddies have lifted diesels with 22x14 rims, 6" lifts and 37s, and they got a little butt hurt when I called them out asking them to do the same with theirs, lol. I also took some measurements under the front and rear tires at full flex just to see what it had, pretty cool that I can almost get 3' before it 3 wheels.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I also have a question for you guys, should I be concerned that my rear axle bump doesn't contact the axle at full compression when I max out the leaf and begin to lift the truck beyond that? Here's a pic of it at full flex, if I went any higher it would lift the truck off the ground. It's still about 4" away from the axle or so, will that hurt the leaf making it take all that weight and the bump not helping?
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:58 am

How much shock travel do you have left? I'd probably buy some bump stop spacers because it looks like you'll get into the fenders first.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:25 am

There should be travel left in the shocks. It's rare flexing that you will hit the rear stops. 37" tires will connect with rear fender first. The springs will be fine. They just hit the point where they are strong enough to to lift the truck. If you were to add a few hundred pounds of extra weight they would go deeper. Looks awesome.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:24 pm

It wasn't touching the fender, it was close, but not touching.

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:30 am

Nice flex! Hammering the pinch seam over flat is a decent alternative to cutting it out. Doesn't seem to noticeably reduce structural integrity. I cut the lower portion and hammered over the upper then shot the area with bed liner.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:32 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Your mileage may not be as bad as you think. Did you recalibrate for the taller tires? If not, your display and odometer are off. This will show lower mileage.
This, I adjust mine at about 50% tread. I measure from the ground to the center of the hub (x) 2 for the rolling diameter. Depending on the tire, you can easily loose an inch over the life of the tire.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Colibri wrote:Nice flex! Hammering the pinch seam over flat is a decent alternative to cutting it out. Doesn't seem to noticeably reduce structural integrity. I cut the lower portion and hammered over the upper then shot the area with bed liner.
I may try that same thing for the upper portion, I already went back and painted the bare metal Sunday night so it should be rust proofed for now, until it starts eating rocks. I'll have to have Line X cover that when I get the rockers done. Still debating on Thuren arms instead, better joints, nice upgrade over the stockers in terms of strength and the replaceable joints would be nice also. Even though I don't need the bend, that would be helpful if I get positive offset rims in the future.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Couple ditch pics, nothing special
ImageImageImageImage ImageImage

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:37 am

OK,,,, I really like the red/black combo..... I am not really a fan of LED's and color mixing,,,,,,, BUT this is the first truck done up that I would actually drive (not that it matters what I think LOL)

Good work on the mixing, and good job on the combinations of colors...... how do you like those Generals??? I am building a 2014 Ram into a desert race truck, and am getting to the point of tire selection (37-40's) Will most likely go 40's but need a tire with a high speed rating... and suggestions? would you go with Generals again?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:21 pm

If it were me I'd probably get 39" race spec toyo mt's gunny. Robbie Gordon has them available on his wheel website

Looking great stickman!!!
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks gunny, that's the look I was going for, looks good, but still looks tough and would still work off road in most situations. I'll attach a pic of my 400ex that I've been building since I was about 14, that was why I went with the red/black combo. I just got lucky after I bought the truck and started doing mods and realized that combo would work perfect on ot too if done correctly.

I don't really have an opinion on the Grabbers yet other than they are quiet on the road and smooth out the larger bumps that the stock 33s had trouble handling without shaking the hell out of the truck. I need to get my tuner fixed so I can do some higher speed playing on the gravel roads without the TC and get some more seat time on them. Don't know if it matters but they do seem to "float" a bit at 65 mph doing quick jerk reactions, like avoiding a deer or what have you. Never drove on 37s before so this may be normal with an off road style tire in this size, but the front would turn instantly and the rear seems to just slowly float over back in line with the front, kinda weird feeling honestly. Doesn't feel out of control, just, smooth, I guess. This isn't my daily so I only drive it to town maybe twice a week and don't play around too often, but I'll be sure to update this whenever I find something good or bad about them.
ImageImageImage

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:24 am

Nice atv, what you're describing sounds pretty normal for 37's to me. Looking good man!
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 am

gun45boat wrote:OK,,,, I really like the red/black combo..... I am not really a fan of LED's and color mixing,,,,,,, BUT this is the first truck done up that I would actually drive (not that it matters what I think LOL)

Good work on the mixing, and good job on the combinations of colors...... how do you like those Generals??? I am building a 2014 Ram into a desert race truck, and am getting to the point of tire selection (37-40's) Will most likely go 40's but need a tire with a high speed rating... and suggestions? would you go with Generals again?
Colibri wrote:If it were me I'd probably get 39" race spec toyo mt's gunny. Robbie Gordon has them available on his wheel website

Looking great stickman!!!

Ooo toyo 39's you say.... I have been looking for something different Image

They are a ten ply as well Tim?

What is this desert race ram you speak of ?!?!

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Not sure lee, but I'll look into it.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:02 am

Colibri wrote:Not sure lee, but I'll look into it.
if they are ten ply I don't want to know about it I got enough problems hahahaha I don't need clearancing 39's one of them

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Got a couple more pieces to add to the recovery gear since Factor 55 finally got some Crosby shackles in stock. Got 2 more shackles, Shorty 3 strap and a Bubba Rope gator jaw soft shackle.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 am

Well I finally got my Trinity fixed and got a tune loaded and my tire size corrected. And for once DiabloSport actually had decent customer support today. I don't know what happened to my tuner but after I updated it to a broken new version it completely crapped out and needed sent in to fix it. Well after I got it back yesterday I hooked it up and it kept saying it had an original backup that needed restored on my truck, but there wasn't a way to restore it. So after calling in today to see what I needed to do I got walked through a way to hard reset it and get it fixed and working perfectly in about 20 minutes or so, including waiting time. Pretty good compared to the 2 hours of wait time I had a couple months ago, and then got disconnected when they picked the phone up.

Anyway I just put a canned 87 performance tune with a couple rev limiter and speed limiter mods and I instantly picked up 2mpg on my instant highway mileage at 65mph, and over 20 at 55mph. So i picked up 2 or 3 mpg by switching to 37s over the factory 33s, that's awesome, especially on a canned performance tune, not a custom mpg booster tune. Of course my average will still probably get drug down because of the in town mileage, but when I take long highway trips I should be smiling ear to ear in my big 'ol truck on 37s.

I also had to tinker with my tire size with the tuner to get the actual mph to match a gps. Had it set to 36", which is what they measure, and that was about 2mph under actual, bumped it up to 36.5 (wrong way, wasn't thinking) and that made it 2mph over. Took it back down to 35.5 and it was perfect, so that's kinda weird I need to set it to 35.5 for a "37" tire.

Anyway just wanted to post that, not a big update, but that's the latest. Next mod will probably be Line X'd doors and rockers, not aure when though. Also plan on getting studded Duratracs or R/Ts for the stock rims before winter.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu May 12, 2016 6:36 am

Sounds like you got her dialed in, that's what I've been saying for a long time, I went from 10.9 to 13.8 all day, everyday average from stock to tuned and 37's.

You're right on the money with the tire size, you'll need/want to adjust again half way through the tread life, these tires will loose an inch as they wear down.

The tire size is what I like to call the "rolling diameter", measure from the ground as it sits to the center of the axle for the radius, times 2 to get your size to enter. Say a 37" actually measures 37 when mounted on rim, that would be a radius 18.5", however, weight of the truck and depending on your tire pressure, if aired down, that can easily drop to 17" which is only 34".... measure from the ground to the center of yours, I'm willing to bet it's 17-3/4" .
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sun May 22, 2016 12:06 am

Well, ordered up a DT ProFab rear cover, Ballistic Fab front, got 2 Filtermag GP101s and 7 quarts of Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear sitting on the bench. Diffs should be nice and happy once they get cleaned, installed and filled back up. Image

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Sun May 22, 2016 8:19 am

Stickman wrote:Well, ordered up a DT ProFab rear cover, Ballistic Fab front, got 2 Filtermag GP101s and 7 quarts of Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear sitting on the bench. Diffs should be nice and happy once they get cleaned, installed and filled back up. Image
Those filter mags are awesome, last time I opened my front, the locker magnet was clean. Whatever you do, do not let those two magnets get within a foot of each other out of the box. It's a bitch to get them back apart! Hahaha

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 am

Will wrote:
Stickman wrote:Well, ordered up a DT ProFab rear cover, Ballistic Fab front, got 2 Filtermag GP101s and 7 quarts of Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear sitting on the bench. Diffs should be nice and happy once they get cleaned, installed and filled back up. Image
Those filter mags are awesome, last time I opened my front, the locker magnet was clean. Whatever you do, do not let those two magnets get within a foot of each other out of the box. It's a bitch to get them back apart! Hahaha
Uhhh, too late, lol. My boredom got the best of me and I started playing with them, had them stuck on each side of my hand, then tried to have them stick on the back of both my hands while I had them together and they ended up coming together and one ended up taking the corner off the other they hit so hard. $25 later, a hard lesson was learned, lol.

It was a bit of a pain getting them apart, but I just stuck one to a piece of metal and slowly slid the other off of it until I could get a good enough grip on it to pull it away. On the bright side now I have a strong magnet I can use around the shop Image

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 am

any issue with those bouncing up and sticking to the ring or pinion instead of the bottom/back of the cover?
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue May 24, 2016 5:03 am

adeluca73 wrote:any issue with those bouncing up and sticking to the ring or pinion instead of the bottom/back of the cover?
Hell no, go get one and play with it, little sobs are strong. Haha

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue May 24, 2016 5:04 am

Stickman wrote:
Will wrote:
Uhhh, too late, lol. My boredom got the best of me and I started playing with them, had them stuck on each side of my hand, then tried to have them stick on the back of both my hands while I had them together and they ended up coming together and one ended up taking the corner off the other they hit so hard. $25 later, a hard lesson was learned, lol.

It was a bit of a pain getting them apart, but I just stuck one to a piece of metal and slowly slid the other off of it until I could get a good enough grip on it to pull it away. On the bright side now I have a strong magnet I can use around the shop Image
Haha, well I tried...