Stickman's Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior Power Wagon Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Re: Stickman's Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior Power Wagon Buil

Post by RamGentry » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 pm

I would go with 18s, but thats just me. They are cheaper and having more sidewall is pretty advantageous. Sounds like the only reason you would go 20s is because you would like the way they look, theres no added functionality. So I guess my advice is to build your truck based on how you plan on using your truck
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Yea, I'll probably go 18s when it comes time. I would be going with the 20s just for looks, and while I think with 37s would still have a good amount of tire for off road, I do prefer more tire than rim on most rigs. Plus the money saved can be spent elsewhere, win win.
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Great looking truck, love the color scheme!

Personally, I'd be leanin' toward the 18's myself, but either way you should have plenty of sidewall. Aside from looks, I believe 20's would allow you to use a larger brake rotor and caliper, which would be great, especially with the additional mass of the 37's.
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Line X finished my grille and flares today, flares aren't going on until I do the tires and rims though so no pics of them but they do look good. I was kind of taking a gamble with this grille since it's off of a 2014 SLT Power Wagon, and mines a '12, but it did fit, barely.

If any of you have removed the grille you know there are 4 bolts on top and 2 push connectors on bottom, well I got lucky and the 4 bolt holes lined up perfect on top, but the 2 push connectors in the bottom are about an inch or so off (further apart), they just hit the pieces on the truck and don't clip in. The entire grille is slightly larger than my factory one so fits very snuggly between the headlights and since I have a bug deflector it holds it down nice and snug up on top aswell. And even though the bottom isn't really secured by anything it doesn't move unless you grab it and pull outward on the bottom, but it still isn't going to come off unless you break it.

All in all I'm very happy with the way it looks now, almost think I need more red elsewhere now, but I think once I get my rims it'll balance it back out. I'm also having my Factor 55 Prolink powder coated red, it just got out of the oven today, so I'll probably pick it up and have it on by this weekend. Here's my only pic I got today before it got dark, also some pics of the connectors I'm talking about, the top bolts and how tight everything is around the side and bottom edges. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:48 pm

Here's a couple edited pics to show where the clips are, blue is the new grille and red is my factory spots. I may be able to cut my slots out a little and get them to pop in when I get some time to mess with it. ImageImage

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 am

Stickman wrote:Yea, I'll probably go 18s when it comes time. I would be going with the 20s just for looks, and while I think with 37s would still have a good amount of tire for off road, I do prefer more tire than rim on most rigs. Plus the money saved can be spent elsewhere, win win.
Yall better do some looking for 18" tires first, one of my friends has factory 18"'s on his Ford and he said that's like a bastard size. I think he said they are just about all 10 ply tires as well so if you're looking for offroad performance, they are lacking some, if looking for towing, probably good to go then. Way more options on a 17" and cheaper tires as well.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Really? I've never had an issue finding any tires I've wanted in an 18, I always heard 17s were the hard tires to find, but since they are more common on stock trucks nowadays they're easy to find also. Usually everyone upgrading rims goes either 18s,20s or 22s. I found a 37x13.50x18 Cooper STT Pro online for $309 each, D load range. I won't be needing an E, don't plan on maxing it out towing anytime soon, it'll also ride a little better.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I think 17" tires are easier to find but 17X9" wheels are a pain. Everyone advertises wheels in stock but when you call they are all drop shipped from somewhere else. The wheels I bought were about my 5th choice because no one stocks 17x9 on 8x6.5 +18. 18" and 20" wheels are stocked in larger quantity and variety. 18" tires cost a lot more than 17".

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:11 am

Stickman wrote:Figured I'd bump this. Currently have a 2014 PW grille with the red inserts being Line X'd, along with a set of Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares, should be done Monday. Also having my Prolink powder coated red to match my tow hooks. Planning on ordering tires and rims sometime next month, probably in 2 or 3 weeks depending on how much I work. Definitely going with a set of 37" Cooper STT Pros, just not sure on the rims yet. Was planning on Black and Red Ballistic Jesters in a -12mm offset, but I don't know if I want 20s or 18s. 20s would look damn good and still have plenty of tire left to make it usable off road, but 18s would be perfect for a dual purpose rig. I don't plan on any hardcore wheeling anytime soon though so I may just go with the 20s for now. If I hate them I'll just bite the bullet, sell then and get 18s, we'll see. Another thing is after you go over a 17" rim you can't get a 12.50, only 13.50, which is kind of worrying me since they will most likely rub. I have a 2" leveling kit so I know they'll clear vertically, just don't know how much trimming and cutting I'll have to do when I turn or stuff them, especially with the -12 offset and the flares.

Anyway I guess I'll figure it out when I get them. I was set on doing 35s the first time and waiting until I do a full Thuren front end to go to the 37s but I figure if I can clear them now I'll just get them out of the way and then upgrade the front to clear better later on. I also re-did my first page post to better reflect what I have done to it currently and what I plan on doing later on. Wasn't really updating that so I figured I would sit down and fix it all.
I have 37x12.5x20 Nitto MT's on my truck... Plenty of sidewall left for off-road...
Attachments
TR Wheels.jpg
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:55 pm

That looks good, I may EVENTUALLY do 40s too, so 20s would work good there aswell.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Yeah, those 20's look great with 37's, looks like plenty of sidewall unless you'll be airing down to single digits. Trail Ready beadlocks?

I take it back, I'd go with the 20" wheels. You WILL eventually go with 40's, why wait?

#YOLO :mrgreen:
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Now you have me bouncing back, the 20s will look good and still do well off road, I don't plan on going below 15-18psi. I WILL be doing 40s, but that's gunna be quite a ways into the future, around 2 years probably, I'll have this paid off about this time next year and then I'll probably be looking for another toy or some property to start building a house.

Anyway I got my Factor 55 Prolink back from the powder coater today, looks pretty good, matches the red on my grille perfectly. ImageImageImageImageImage

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Thats cool!!!!! I did not know that made those for the wire cable,,,,, I thought they only made those for the synthetic line.... Learn something everyday;)

Truck looks great man.... good work

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 am

NovA ProspekT wrote:Yeah, those 20's look great with 37's, looks like plenty of sidewall unless you'll be airing down to single digits. Trail Ready beadlocks?

I take it back, I'd go with the 20" wheels. You WILL eventually go with 40's, why wait?

#YOLO :mrgreen:
They are Trail Ready's but they are the beadlooks... I had real beadlocks on my JKUR and had to drive 1hr to go back to the shop that put them on to have anything done with my tires; since none of the big tire chains will touch real beadlocks... At least in my neck of the woods... With the beadlooks I can drive 2 miles to Discount Tire and have them rotate and balance them...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 am

Truck is looking great Stickman...

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Awesome Stickman---I'll be sending you a PM shortly for some pointers on doing the same thing,,,,I want to mimic your front end combo on my 14.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Got some Staun Deflators today, I'll be sure to use these with my 37" Grabbers when I get them (which shipped earlier), they're preset to 18psi, I'll probably leave them at that for awhile, especially with a 37. Only thing that sucks is now I'm going to have to buy either a portable compressor or rig up on board air. I'll probably just buy a ARB portable compressor and be done. Be much easier throwing that in the truck whenever I may need it instead of going through the hassle of finding the room, rigging it up and running everything. Won't be nearly as cool, but it will also be portable and won't have to have my truck within reach of whatever needs air either. Image

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Might consider a powertank CO2 setup as well.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 am

Go my Line X'd Bushwacker Pocket Style flares on earlier. Took a lot longer than I originally thought only because I'm anal about a clean install and had to spend a ton of time removing all the old adhesive backed foam tape they used to install the factory flares. Took the better part of my day to get it done, but atleast I'll know nothing will be behind there rubbing my paint raw and causing rust issues later down the road, if it could even do that, which I highly doubt, but whatever.

Also got my rims earlier so I got them put together and threw one on the truck just to see what the look will be. Can't wait to get my tires and see what I'll need to do to get them baby's to stuff and clear, hopefully no much. I know I may catch some flak for these rims but I'm planning on these being my summer/daily driving/look good rims. Eventually going to get Hutchinsons or something a little bit tougher with better tires to be my dedicated off road setup.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:39 pm

Tire pics and hands on specs, having them mounted and balanced tomorrow or Saturday hopefully. Have 19/32" tread depth, mesure right around 12 1/4" or 12/1/2" tread width, sidewall to sidewall, and measure about 36 3/8" or 36 1/2" tall. All of that is un-mounted of course. I'll try and the get same measurements mounted and aired up and then again sitting on the ground on the truck. Pics don't really help since the angle messes with everything but here's a few. They are a really good looking tire, look like they would really bite in anything off road and the large blocks would still have a good contact patch on road. Plus they look just plain cool with the chamfered design and red lettering.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 pm

It's gonna look real good
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm probably gonna give these a try when my current shoes finally go, I'll be awaiting your report on their performance... :poke:

Oh yeah, we need more pics too :mrgreen:

Cheers

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Stickman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:41 am

Finished clearancing the rear of the front fenders just a little earlier, took a good chunk of plastic inner fender out, then the very bottom of the fender that the flare bolts to, along with the same spot on my new flares. And then a good chunk of the pinch weld had to go aswell. Drove around and everything seems good to go, I'll have to check clearance when stuffed some other time, maybe tomorrow. Even after clearancing it as best as I can, they are still close, like 1/8", from contacting the pinch weld at ride height when turning about 45 degrees or so, so I'm hoping I'm not turning that sharp when I hit a good size bump or pothole. I also measured before and after and gained 1 3/4" of height on the body from the swap, was 42" under the flare before on the front, now it's 43 3/4".

Definitely didn't notice any more road noise than the factory BFGs had, and I only hear a very slight hum on deceleration, rolling towards a stop sign or something, while not on the gas. I also didn't notice any loss in power, still spins them if I nail it on dry pavement, but they do hook up a lot quicker than the BFGs did, since they seem stickier. I did notice a loss of 1-3 mpg, was getting 12-13, now I'm getting 10-11, at almost every speed, where before I might get up to 20 going 55 or so. Not really concerned since fuel economy gets thrown out the window with these trucks, but hopefully my Trinity will help when I get it working again.

I'm very happy with them overall though, they seem to smooth out larger bumps and potholes that really shook the truck when hitting before, now I almost don't even notice them. They also are basically flush with the edge of my flares, so I won't have to worry about a ton of rock chips down the side for the most part, and it'll still keep a decent amount of mud off the side. I'm also glad I got these and not the 13.50 STT Pros, they would have needed even more trimming and may not have even worked unless I got Carli or Thuren arms that moved the axle forward. And since I mention that, I might aswell add, since my offset is negative, I am more than clearanced on the back side at full lock from the sway bar and factory control arms, so I won't have to deal with any rubbing back there. Anyway, on to the pics!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Here's some before and after pics of the trimming, forgot to take a pic before I trimmed off my flare, so just imagine that flare going all the way down and around the bottom of the fender.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:09 am

Looks great stickman! It may be different for a 4th gen, but I suspect you'll want to either trim or hammer flat that pinch seam up another 8-10 inches give or take.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Your mileage may not be as bad as you think. Did you recalibrate for the taller tires? If not, your display and odometer are off. This will show lower mileage.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!