Hazzard Wagon

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
TwinStick

Re: Hazzard Wagon

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 pm

:jawdrop: Looks like your bumper has earned it's price tag already !!!!!!!!!!! DAMN . :rockon:

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by BANGG » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog's"
"Public lands means public access"
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

jeep_boy02
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by jeep_boy02 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Looks like the bottom side or that sweet bumper has definitely gotten it's use! Awesome pics
2010 black pearl(PXR) on 35s, bypass harness, gooseneck, CAI, 3" magnaflow catback, bulldog hemi GT.... more to come soon

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Funny- I just noticed, you and I have the same "massaged" body work on the passenger rear door. (I didn't hit the door jam as bad though, LOL!) I'm loving the pics, looks like an awesome time!!!! I think I've found a new screen saver!!! I really like how you incorporated the A-pillars into the front fenders- the exo-cage and bed cage set-up looks awesome!!! How have you been liking the combo of the Nittos and Hutchinsons?

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Ultimate Adventure 2014 ended last night. Yesterdays wheeling was the best yet. All rock crawling. We are headed home now. 1830 miles of interstate to go. I hit the front link pretty hard yesterday and now i have a toe issue. i will look at next stop. no biggie

I will do a photo drop as soon as i get them all gathered up from others. I didnt get many myself as i was driving

The Hazzard (Power) Wagon proved itself this week. I think many were surprised!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 pm

What links do you run up front? Or did you make your own?

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 pm

BDS. for now
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm

[quote="BANGG"]BDS. for now[/quote

Lol what's manatee don't you enjoy those cumbersome suckas on your swaybar. Mine are so stiff and shitty looking I just wish they were ball joints or heims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for sharing pictures while you were out on your adventure.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am

X2, thanks for sharing.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:39 am

Hey 04, we stopped in Missoula tonight. If you wanna come see the truck we will be at Fred's for a few hours before crashing. LOLOL
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 am

BANGG wrote:Hey 04, we stopped in Missoula tonight. If you wanna come see the truck we will be at Fred's for a few hours before crashing. LOLOL
That's kind of icky....
Gone but Never Forgotten
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am

Yeah no kidding. LOL. We werent there long
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Wheres all the pics?????????
Glad it finished the event without major injuries. Now give us some pics and a rundown of where you went and how was the parks and which ones you enjoyed and why. Congrats to Hazzard Wagon for a job well done. I rubbed my dash a few times on my trip and gave her a little love lol.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Crawler,

I literally got home just two hours ago. I will do a trip report in the next day or two. There is an event picture collection being put together by Carter from BDS Suspension right now. Hopefully it will be available to link to soon. Sadly all the good video action will have to wait for the DVD! I am getting some video of the big endo and will try to post it here as well. I need to decompress for a day or two. I did nearly 6000 miles since I left here on the 27th! Please be patient!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 pm

2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 pm

ua2014.jpg
ua2014-2.jpg
ua2014-3.jpg
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

jeep_boy02
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by jeep_boy02 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Sweet.
2010 black pearl(PXR) on 35s, bypass harness, gooseneck, CAI, 3" magnaflow catback, bulldog hemi GT.... more to come soon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for the pics and link. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 am

HOLY SHIT!!!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:15 pm

BANGG wrote:Here's the endo by Shaughn!

http://web.stagram.com/p/758307629738363305_752025385
The guide's shirt is perfect for the video!
Gone but Never Forgotten

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Here's a good set of YouTube videos put together by Carter and Dave at BDS Suspension!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... VJbMaiy0aa
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Damn can't get link to work. DAmn the luck need something to pass the time at work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm

You might find a link on the BDS website! Check there!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 am

Alright, I've been saying I would do an Ultimate Adventure write-up so here it is!

The build which was put in here was finished on Thursday the 26th around sunset. The plan was to leave early Thursday morning. That didn't happen. We had decided to hook-up with Jeremy and Chad from Nitro Gear and drive to Nebraska together. They showed up at the shop about four hours late due to overheating issues as the fan in their Cherokee had stopped working on the way over. We went to a parts store and got a fan for them before they arrived and Luke quickly fabricated up an aluminum mount and he and Chad installed it in short order. The decision was made about 11:30pm to head out regardless and make it to Missoula. We got on the road and made it 22 miles to Coeur D Alene before giving up. We all got a few drinks and crashed there for the night.
We got up early Friday and drove all the way to Casper, Wyoming getting there about midnight. After several tries at full hotels we found rooms at a less than stellar one. This whole day was long as the Nitro Gear Cherokee could only do about 65 to 70mph with its cooling issues and we had to alter our intended route due to a tornado and subsequent flash flooding which closed the highway.

Saturday we made the rest of the trip to North Platte, Nebraska to the meeting place and rolled in there around 3 or 4pm. The remainder of that day was spent meeting people, seeing old friends, checking out all the rigs, signing in for the event, and doing any more last minute prep and wrenching. The first drivers meeting was held that evening just before dusk and at 2:00am some were still wandering about the parking lot of the hotel. The excitement was palpable!
Sunday had the drivers meeting at 7am and the whole group on the road by 7:30. It was quite a site to see 25 awesome rigs rolling through town on our way to a private ranch about an hour north of town where we were to wheel that day. We were in the Sand Hills of Nebraska and spent the day on an awesome "Jeep Only" place with really tight trails that made for an interesting time for the full-size rigs. The Hazzard Wagon received its first damage as did the Ultimate Tug and many other rigs. Fred’s story for that is really quite funny AND ironic. It was the first time the property owners had ever allowed full-size rigs on the trails. As mentioned the trails were tight, sharp corners, very steep inclines/declines, and through endless plots of free growing non-hallucinogenic marijuana plants. While it made for great pictures no one tried to smoke any of it after the land owner suggested we wouldn’t get high but will get a pretty good headache.
While there were no rocks here (it is called the Sand Hills for a reason) the tree cover and inclines/declines were VERY steep and sketchily off-camber. I let Luke drive most of the day as I felt it appropriate that the guy who built my rig be the first one wheel it. I did a few obstacles (including the steepest hill decent and ascent of the day), but for the most part Luke was in command. There were A LOT of sketchy areas but the truck performed beyond my expectation. There was even one trail that my truck absolutely should not have been in. Luke did it despite the property owner saying full-size rigs couldn't make it. In that hole Luke had to purposely lay the truck on the passenger roll cage as it was off the driver tires and was in full tip over mode. He masterfully drove it down the tree on the roll cage until righting on a stump and getting it back on four wheels. It was pretty awesome to watch. You should have seen the tires as well. At 10psi they were completely folded over on the sidewall and torqued hard. But they took it and performed flawlessly.

This property was also the location of the only deep river crossing (had to traverse it twice) of the trip. Made more interesting by the fact the land owner basically said the sand bottom will act like quicksand and suck you in if you stop. A point well understood by all. The highlight of the day had to be watching Brennan and Jonathan floating their Flattie across and being pulled back over the next time by Fred in the Ultimate Tug. After the day of wheeling was over we headed back to the hotel in North Platte and wrenched into the night until the next day’s events.

To call Monday an event was at first a stretch of the word. We were told Sunday evening to be prepared for a 700 mile/14 hour day. After the second night of 4 hour sleep all were on the road at 7:30 am headed east to whereabouts unknown. 14 hours? Yeah right. After having to change the planned course due to road closures and construction, stopping for fuel no more than every 150 miles (usually shorter distances), some on-road breakdowns and repairs, etc. etc. we arrived at our first camping spot of the trip on a gorgeous hill at another private property outside Dubuque, Iowa. The owners run it as something of an off-road park at times. We rolled in there at 2:30am Tuesday. Needless to say the 14 hour day had gone much longer. By the time everyone's camps were set-up and some socializing and drinking were done the light had started to show on the eastern horizon and any left awake quickly crawled into their bags for a couple hours of sleep!

Rick, taking some pity on us, had let us sleep in for a driver's meeting at 8:00 am this morning! We were headed out to the trails by 8:30 and the day was spent in sloppy mud, tight trails, grease line descents and ascents, and one very gnarly ravine trail which required most rigs to be lowered in by tow rope attached to the rig behind them. Why was it so slick and greasy? Well, they had five inches of rain in the previous two days before we arrived adding to the 15-16" they had in the previous two weeks. Sound bad? Nahhhhh....it made for an epic, if not slow, day of wheeling. Several planned trails were discovered to be impassable and different trails were taken in their stead. This was the place where Rick in his Jeep, Fred Perry in his LJ, and Fred in the Ultimate Tug were the first down a particularly steep descent with a tree and turn in the middle of it. From behind in the group we could hear the whooping and hollering from the front followed by the Whoa's and Holy S&%t's. We made our way to the front to find Fred and the Ultimate Tug had basically slid down the entire hill locked up and nearly went all the way over except for a tree that saved him. Needless to say it was a long time and multi-winch effort to get the Ultimate tug back up that gnarly hill through the brush and over a log or two. Rick and Fred Perry managed to spin and sling mud off their tires far enough back up the hill to have a shorter winching to the top. It was awesome to watch so many skilled wheelers’ working together to get those rigs out of that canyon. After that we changed route again and headed for the aforementioned controlled descent ravine.

It took several hours into the evening dark to get all the rigs through that ravine. Most opted for a by-pass out after the lead rigs get hung up again (including the Ultimate Tug! Kudos to Fred for putting caution to the wind and charging in on any and all obstacles) and a winch-fest ensued. However, to call it a by-pass is an understatement as most of the rigs opting for it had to, at some point, winch themselves somewhere along the way! I have to say though, with some expert spotting and suggestions by my co-driver Luke, the Hazzard Wagon made it up and out under its own power without the need for a winch. Albeit at the expense of a few saplings and one tree that took a helluva hit from my front passenger tire and fender which knocked me backwards and to the left a few feet. But I stayed on the gas and rode the truck up and out! All in all it was one of my most epic day’s wheeling and after all got back to camp in the dark we started pressure washing our rigs late into the night while the host’s had a giant bonfire blazing for us. I can’t remember what time I went to bed but it was well after midnight. Alright it was after 2:00am. Ugghh, the morning driver’s meeting was again at 7:00am with a departure of 7:30am. I think the only reason Rick let us “sleep in” was the hosts had arranged for an early morning hot breakfast for all! What a pleasure that was. Most were packed and ready to go before feasting in the morning and, as usual, Rick had us on the road promptly at the scheduled departure time. Sleep deprivation had started to sink in.

Wednesday morning found us on the road again. Another road trip day which had us crossing into Illinois with an eventual stop by another private property in a small secluded valley with four redeeming qualities. Corn fields, a creek, steep slick hills and trails, and mud! Oh yes, they had also received the same moisture as Iowa had in the past weeks. We spent a few hours wheeling the tight muddy trails there before finally realizing getting 25 rigs through that area within a reasonable amount of time was going to be impossible. That wheeling was cut short after which we all headed out on the road to a neighboring property just a few miles down the road. We didn’t even bother airing back up before heading there. I did, however, take out the pry bar to peel all the mud out of the rims!
We got to the other property with just enough time to head down into the woods past their mud racing pit for all to make an attempt at another particularly steep, narrow, rock strewn hill climb. Only two rigs didn’t make it up due to lack of power, but fun was had by all and the camaraderie at the base of the hill was displayed by whooping and hollering as each rig in succession set-up for and ripped up the hill. It was another short stop followed by airing up by the road before heading out for parts unknown again.

The remainder of Wednesday was spent motoring down the pavement again on way to a great little winery in the countryside of Illinois for our next camping spot. Arriving after midnight of course. Go figure.

Thursday, we awoke early again for another 7:00am drivers meeting before heading out at 7:30am to the trails. The weather was great and the mud had finally turned to wet dirt. The trail system we were led to was amazing despite the fact we didn’t have time to see much of it. The first obstacle of the day was a steep hill climb on loose dirt with a right hand turn at the top which led to a rock shelf you had to get up and over. With everything after the corner blind! Man what a climb. So damn fun and with a high “pucker” factor tossed in. Hell by that hill I think my sphincter was sore from all the “puckering” it had done so far! The first few trucks made it up clean. Some had to stop and re-group before tackling the rock shelf, others did not. On my turn early in the field I had the fortunate advantage of Luke calling me on my cell phone to tell me what to expect. I loaded the tires under braking and lay on the gas up the hill never coming off until after the turn. As my truck is, shall we say, large with a huge blind spot which is the whole front end, I tried to do as Luke suggested and came off the gas just as I got to the rock shelf. However, I could not see the shelf and hit it before I had come off the gas enough and hit that thing with authority. The front of my truck jumped up into the air and went hard right. When it came down I thankfully had the front tires on top of the rock shelf and hadn’t rolled to the right. With Tommy Boyd spotting he had me back up a bit and then told me to hit the gas. Once again I loaded the tires using the brakes and rambled my way up and over with no problem!

This was, of course, the same hill that reader Shaughn Reid in his Blazer went over backward and totaled his truck sometime after me. I feel kind of lucky to have not done the same thing in my rig. I attribute this to mine being front heavy and good spotting. I did, however, lose one of my manifold burritos I forgot were still in there when I hit the rock shelf. Everyone had a good laugh telling me so as I sat there nearly straight up in the air sucked back in my seat. I would have eaten it regardless if I had not proceeded to drive over it and spit it out the back of my rear tire when I shot over the rock shelf finally!

That afternoon was spent traversing deep ravines to the next obstacle. An even tougher tight, long, off-camber (several rigs put themselves on their side) trail with a near impossible hill climb at the end that required all to winch up. There simply was no other option. This was the first obstacle I did not attempt and make during the Ultimate Adventure. Not because I didn’t want to or wasn’t willing to, but rather because that trail took so long for each rig to get up we were running out of time and necessity required many of us to by-pass it in the interest of time. Apparently we had yet another property to head to with something called the “can opener”.

I quickly found out why it is called the can opener. After all were at the trail head we started to drop in to a small ravine. Did I say small ravine? Holy S&%t was I mistaken. Shortly after dropping in I found my truck having the mirrors pinned to the doors as the walls of the ravine closed in. Literally! I’m not joking. It was that tight. And to boot you had to keep your tires on the walls straddling the creek below or else you would slip one side down and lay the doors against the wall. Guess what I did? Yep, I slid the driver side tires and down I went. I was lying on my driver side doors in the ravine. This is where I tore the driver side headlight off the truck and collapsed the front fender while I was being winched backwards to try to right myself again. How the mirror managed to stay attached is beyond me, but it did. Okay, second try. With the superb spotting of my co-driver Luke and some from Fred I managed to get my truck the remaining way down the ravine relatively unscathed. It was miraculous and a testament to the build and this trucks ability considering its size. I was greeted at the end by Luke saying he can’t believe I made it through. Only to then tell me we hadn’t even reached the “CAN-OPENER”!! WTF?

Indeed, the actual can opener was further down the creek. I made it there and did my best to make it through, but the fact my front bumper was actually wider than the opening to the can opener prevented that. So I tried going up and over a different way. I may have made it if it weren’t for the near tipping my rig on its side down the five foot high ledge! I did not shy away from trying this and put an honest effort into making it. However, in the interest of keeping things moving along I backed out for the first time on the trip. I was pissed. But it was a good decision by Luke in the end. Besides, we were now really under time pressure to get people through and out of there. Why was time of the essence here? Because this was the first night of the trip we had a catered meal waiting for us back at the winery. Trust me, by then all wanted a warm meal and finally a night to get to camp before midnight. We managed to get all out of that last obstacle at a decent hour and took a leisurely ride out on a dirt road back to the winery, that great meal, beer, whiskey, and an earlier night. Which in all honesty ended up not being as early as most were up late wrenching? The Cronies’ were pre-prepping some food, and many of us sat around Stephen of Off-Road Design and his father in the shadows of the Speaker LED lights while they tore apart and put back together their front axle. Oh, and don’t think I won’t remember the bastards who teepee’d me with oily rags when I fell asleep in my chair apparently snoring. Should I ever have the chance to wheel with you jokers again I will seek my retribution!

Friday morning was another early one. Drivers meeting at 7:00am, departure at 7:30am. We were a little delayed this morning as the Cronies’ had a hot breakfast ready for us in the morning as something of a surprise! Thanks to all of them. We were on the road again for our last road day. This day on the road was shorter as we convoyed along on the way to our final destination and two nights in a hotel after four nights camping. All of us smelling much like I imagine a heard of buffalo did in the muggy Midwest 200 years ago. Rick, however, had a few tricks up his sleeve. On this day we had ferry crossings across swollen rivers, roads through some beautiful countryside and small towns, a skirting of St. Louis with gawking eyes upon us, all on our way to one of the highlight’s of the trip. A stop at the headquarters’ of BIGFOOT! Yes, that right, the manager there had graciously agreed to open the place up for us on the Fourth of July for a personal tour. Imagine that? Time spent in a private showing of the place where the Monster Truck craze started! AWESOME! We spent a lot of time there getting pictures of our rigs next to the BIGGEST FOOT of them all and letting us wander around and tour through their race garage. What a time! Probably the highlight of which was watching VJ’s rendition of what it would be like to drive an Indy car! Complete with superb sound effects. This stop was great and will remain a memory forever.

After another stop at an army surplus store (a requirement for Rick I understand) that opened on Independence Day especially for us and another stop at a Baskin & Robbins for ice cream we continued on to Salem, Missouri. Once there we had time for all to check into the hotel before a brief drivers meeting telling what the plans were. After which we were all cut loose for the evening to shower and do as we pleased. Some went to a local bar and shut it down. Others just partied in the hotel parking lot. Others just went to eat and still others just went to bed! What I can tell you is EVERYONE was glad to be clean and get a chance to sleep on a mattress.
It’s Saturday morning! The final day of the 2014 Ultimate Adventure. Again, driver’s meeting at 7:00am with a departure of 7:30am. At the drivers meeting we found out we were headed to a local 850-acre privately run dedicated off-road park called FlatNasty! An appropriate name for sure. Many of us had heard of it before and it was a welcome destination and fitting for our final day. FlatNasty had amazing trails of all kinds. We only got to hit a select few due to only being there one day, but I assure you one could spend a week there and not hit all of them. It has a huge flat grassed camping area, a dedicated motocross track, ATV trails, trails specifically for Ultra4 racing and obviously serious rock crawling. Literally, there is something there everyone. The owners/hosts were fantastic, as were their staff and trail leaders. Here we did two rock crawling trails down a dry creek bed, followed by a rock strewn long hill climb where spinning tires were perfect between the rocks only to thread yourself through some tight trees to an even tighter boulder climb up a hill plagued by off-camber crawls while your bodywork “kissed” the trees lining it. We all came out of there to a hotdog, brats, and burger lunch before heading out to something called the waterfall! Yes, the waterfall. Only without any water! Thank god! This was to be the last obstacle of the 2014 Ultimate Adventure. There were three lines up it each with its own name. Baby bear, a five foot V-shaped near shear climb up a limestone wall. Mama Bear, a five foot flat near shear climb up a limestone wall. And Papa Bear, a six foot shear climb up a limestone wall. I made it up Baby Bear without much trouble. Much to most everybody’s surprise! Everyone else either made it up, tried to make it up, gave up, or didn’t even try. It was a perfect end to an ABSOLUTELY EPIC ADVENTURE!
All of headed back to the flats, thanked the owners and guides for the day, aired up and headed back to the hotel at a reasonable hour. There was yet another catered meal awaiting us, as was 20 some cases of beer bought by our leader Pewe. YOU DA MAN! Rick gave an end of event speech including a funny as hell description of each entrant and his personal awards for them (mine was “most likely to have ruined his warranty” LOL) and so ended the event officially. All were on their own at that point and the beer cart moved its way to the parking lot where the drinking and festivities continued well into the night. Some even closed the event out back at a local watering hole for the second night.
No one was up early the next morning, but eventually all were on their way home. For Luke, Jeremy, Chad and I we had an 1833 mile journey ahead! Damn that took forever! I came to realize by the time we rolled into Spokane and Luke’s shop we had just put close to or over 5000 miles total on this adventure. All with not a single mechanical failure aside from a loose jam nut. Not even a single leak. All that had happened was some cosmetic body damage which I could care less about. In fact, the Hazzard Wagon came through the entire event with far less damage than I had anticipated. AND we drove it to the event, through the event, and back from the event. I am still pretty amazed by this.

Words of note from this epic adventure:

For most of my life I have usually found that when you attend an event, whether it is 20 people or 10,000, you usually find 15-25% of the people unlikeable for various reasons. I have to say though; there wasn’t a single person on this trip I did not like. Everyone was great. So many diverse personalities and backgrounds. Every one of them was someone I would drink a beer with by the fire. I have always rated people by the litmus test if I would let them babysit my dogs. And I love my dogs! I can honestly say there wasn’t a single person I wouldn’t leave my dog’s with. That is amazing. Wait, maybe not Tommy. Not because I wouldn’t trust him, but rather because I would be afraid my dogs would come back barking in a whole new vernacular loosely known as Tomlish! Tommy is a blast to be around and always willing to help!

One of the dynamic’s I enjoyed most about the Ultimate Adventure was not knowing where we were going or what we were doing from day to day until we got to our destination. That alone added a lot of excitement to the trip and kept the anticipation high as the long days of road miles and wheeling began to take its toll on the mind and body.

One of the other aspects on the Ultimate Adventure I really enjoyed was the “convoying” down the road in the huge group of awesome looking rigs of all manner of size and configuration. I have experienced this in the past on other adventures and trips, but never to this degree before. The mere size of the group made it special. Seeing people’s reaction along the road, taking pictures from their cars, staring, smiling, coming to visit at stops was priceless to experience. As fun and amazing as this once in a lifetime experience was for me, it seemed even more so for the people whose paths we crossed. Most not knowing what the hell we were or were doing. Others who knew of the Ultimate Adventure and couldn’t believe when they saw this now iconic event passing them by or actually stopped in their town or city. It really was cool to experience. Two which come to mind were the young man with a big head of curly hair at a fuel stop in Lincoln, Nebraska who walked around in awe with a smile on his face the whole time we were there. He asked for several autographs and Rick Pewe so was happy to talk to him. He said he had been following the Ultimate Adventure for years and couldn’t believe we were actually in his town.

Then there were the police officers who showed up almost immediately when we stopped briefly in Denison, Iowa. I had the pleasure of being the first person one talked to. He had this bewildered look on his face as he asked what was going on. It was priceless. I explained what was going on and he smiled and just said “wow, how cool”. He was really nice and even put his lights on for me as I took a position on his cruiser of being frisked while Carter took some pictures. I remember when I asked him if he would mind turning the cruiser’s lights on his response was “sure, I don’t care”. Awesome response. Shortly after his partner showed up and we ended up there much longer than anticipated while they talked with Rick, Fred and the other participant’s. It was fantastic!
I can’t say enough about the sponsor’s for this event. If I told you how much “stuff” was tossed our way you wouldn’t believe it. They really went above and beyond for everyone involved and I thank them profusely.

The Cronies’? I capitalize that name for good reason. They are indispensable. They stay behind with break-downs to never leave anyone alone. They help keep the group in order and moving along. They answer any and all questions. They just plain know what is going on and are the biggest help on the trip! Many thanks to them!

Who had the hardest “job” at the Ultimate Adventure? Michael Harrington (The Colonel) and his film crew! You can’t believe how hard they worked to capture this event on camera so the rest of us could have a video and still picture history of the event! Thank You!

Something should be said for the trail leaders at each wheeling destination. Most of who took time off from their regular lives to host us and lead us around their property. Some of which had never allowed this before. It was incredibly generous of them and enough can’t be said for their generosity!

Rick Pewe, Fred Williams and the rest of the crew from Petersen’s 4-Wheel and Off-Road magazine! What else can be said? Thank you!!

On a more personal note, I want to mention my personal feelings after the event. I was chosen to attend the Ultimate Adventure as an alternate for a personal friend of mine who had to back out. When I got the call from Rick asking me if I wanted to come it came with both excitement and sorrow. I was excited to be chosen while at the same time knowing I was only going in place of Mike who had to withdraw due to his mother being diagnosed with terminal cancer and only having a few short months to live. Rick did not know this was the reason so I told him to which his response was gracious. “Family always comes first”! Rick is right about that. While on our 1800+ mile journey home from Missouri at the conclusion of the event Mike called me to tell me his mother had passed away that morning. It made for a sad drive home for me despite the incredible memories and times I had just had in the preceding week. Obviously, Mike made the right decision not to attend the Ultimate Adventure, but I can’t help but think I am about the luckiest guy on earth right now. My thoughts are with him and his family. He definitely deserved to go before I did. But, I am tremendously thankful to Rick, Fred and the other selection staff at 4-Wheel and Off-Road for giving me the chance to attend. I built a unique truck for the event and tried to wheel the hell out of it to show what a full-size crew cab could do. I hope I didn’t disappoint.

Lastly, I cannot end this without a shout out to Luke Shuman of Hazzard Fab Worx in Spokane, Washington. Without his unbelievably rushed build of what turned out to be a more than capable truck for this event I never would have made it through. He got the Hazzard Wagon done in three weeks, took two weeks away from work to go with me as my co-driver, barely complained about driving more than me on the road, and basically put up with me in close quarters! It is not easy I assure you.

Carnage list:
- severely pinched and moderately caved in rear passenger side door
- partially caved in front passenger side door
- bent passenger lower front track bar
- numerous scratches and gouges to front bumper (can’t believe it came through with no dents)
- loose jam nut
- untold numbers of scratches etc. (laugh at the bed-lined cab, but it works)
- smashed front passenger fender
- smashed front driver fender with light housing ripped out
Surprisingly that is all!

Keep your hub’s locked and the wheels on the ground!! NO WHINING!!!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon