2011 Pics

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: 2011 Pics

Post by BANGG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Yep, Portals are badass. In the end though I would have needed the lift still for other clearance issues. Then adding in Portals would have effectively been another 4-6" of lift on top of the 6" or so of suspension. Portals do add a lot of torque issues to suspension components which are only exacerbated on a heavy rig like a PW!

You will definitely have to swap in an 11.5" eventually. No way around it. Chryslers use of the lame 10.5" was purely a financial decision. They knew the 10.5" was not a good rear to use on these (or any other 3/4 to 1 ton truck for that matter) but made the decision to use them as they had a stockpile of them laying around. They just wanted to use them up. Did you notice the new 2014's are using the 11.5"? It is because they finally ran out of the 10.5" to use in a full production year.

Here is another interesting tidbit which will give some insight into the decision making process at vehicle manufacturers. My 2011 Ram PW, as well as on all 2500 series trucks and some 3500's, come from the factory with a very interesting power steering pump system. Can you guess what it is? It is the same part and part number used on Mercedes Benz C and S class sedans! No joke! It is a POS and so grossly underweighted and powered for a full size truck it is ridiculous. Why did they do this? Remember once upon a time when Daimler owned Chrysler? Then they sold them and then Chrysler went through all the bail out bullshit and then Fiat bought a sizeable stake and then the unions tried to buy them etc etc etc!! During and after all that BS Chrysler ended up with an stockpile of these units sitting around that Mercedes wouldn't buy back. So, what did the "new" Dodge do with them? Well, why put in a part designed for and sufficient enough for a full-size truck when we can just toss in these stockpiled units we have and save some money. No one will notice! Thanks for nothing Dodge!

Needless to say, that is one of the reasons I am putting in hydro-assist now. Of course I would have done it regardless of what was in there because hydro-assist IS DA BOMB BABY!!!

One last thought for those out there. There is a relatively simple fix. The GM unit used in their trucks will fit and work nicely with the factory belt system in the Ram's. However, it requires fabricating a bracket for it. I never did it due to the fact I am upgrading the whole system, but it can be done! There is a chance Lee Manufacturing (the GOD's of power steering being the most used and contracted company by A LOT of the Baja racers (plus the old guy is just plain nice)) might make a bracket by now. I had my truck there at one point and that is what they were going to do. In the end I couldn't wait long enough in town for them to do it and knew I was going to do these other upgrades regardless.
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog's"
"Public lands means public access"
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Their simple fix for the 10.5" rear end, was to put 1 ton axle shafts in it. They are 1.53" dia in the PW's vs 1.23" dia in a reg gas 2500.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Good to know. Now if someone would make gears for a 10.5? Too late for me now though! LOL
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Crawler, I'm sorry dude but word from PSC is my steering box won't be back for two more weeks. So, it will be at least three weeks before I have the steering and hydro-assist done and pictures available! Ugghh!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by stamm20 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Awesome build :rockon: lovin all of it you have me intrigued with the ripp supercharger I have been doin some research on superchargers for mine keep the updates comin!!!!!
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

Stickman
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by Stickman » Sat May 03, 2014 10:56 pm

This build is badass, definitely keeping an eye on this. Btw this thing would make the ultimate zombie apocalypse rig, lol. Looks like something they would custom build for The Walking Dead or something. Very cool!
Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2012 Ram Power Wagon - Check out my build thread to see my mods! http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2187

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks! All comments are encouragement. Unfortunately, the RIPP Supercharger will be the very last thing done to the truck. Honestly if after all the gearing (and possible addition of Atlas 4-speed transfer case) etc. is done I may not supercharge it if it doesn't need it! However, knowing a bit about myself I likely will regardless! LOL!!

I am taking a "phase" approach to this truck....
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by stamm20 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 pm

gsbbear wrote:Thanks! All comments are encouragement. Unfortunately, the RIPP Supercharger will be the very last thing done to the truck. Honestly if after all the gearing (and possible addition of Atlas 4-speed transfer case) etc. is done I may not supercharge it if it doesn't need it! However, knowing a bit about myself I likely will regardless! LOL!!

I am taking a "phase" approach to this truck....
Hahaha thats about what im doing I know I dont need a supercharger, but it wiukd be bad ass :rockon:
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 pm

gsbbear wrote:Crawler, I'm sorry dude but word from PSC is my steering box won't be back for two more weeks. So, it will be at least three weeks before I have the steering and hydro-assist done and pictures available! Ugghh!
Well I have honey do's to do tomorrow and Tuesday. Also Tuesday I'm getting the PW alignment done. So hopefully Wednesday I will install my hydro assist and then Thursday mount my (4) Piaa bumper lights and my CB radio. Then Friday thru Sunday a little test and tune at a local Offroad park if the wife lets me go (Mothers Day lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Sun May 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Finding time to work on rigs is always the problem. That and waiting on parts! :angry:

I've thought about stroking the motor like Gun. Or, even swapping in a 6.4L, but my truck has less than 50K on it so doing either doesn't make sense. I looked at several options and decided on the Ripp Supercharger. It is a very good unit from all indications and I like the fact they don't make it to max out everything. They run it at a very reasonable 6 pounds boost for 405-415 brake horsepower. More than enough and won't overly affect the longevity or reliability. They also use a Diablo tuner which are very good. It is a simple design and apparently is very reliable. Anyway, that's why I chose it over the other options. The trick will be connecting it to the snorkel kit. I'm thinking I will have to fabricate a canister air filter. Not too much of a problem.

In case you haven't noticed I'm very much into strength, reliability, and longevity. That has to be considering what I do and where I go. :D
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon May 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Great choice!!!!!