New Build 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel Expo/Chase/Tow/Truck

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

New Build 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel Expo/Chase/Tow/Truck

Post by gun45boat » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Very Excited about this build... It is a left over BRAND NEW 2012 with 27 miles on the OD... GOt a KILLER deal on it since it is a 2012 model.....Ordered it with the Knapiede Utility bed with the New 6.7L Cummins 800ft/lbs torque 4x4 Crew Cab

Plans are as follows:
6.5" KORE suspension lift with 3.0 Fox Shocks.
37" MTR Kevlars
CUstom Front bumper (made at my shop) with a 12K winch
Palomino SS-1607 Soft side camper to slide in the Service body

*** Its purpose is to Tow around the Dakar Build an a trailer, and to act as a camping/tow/chase/expo/recovery truck.

I am going to "try" to keep this tame, but knowing me, it is going to get out of fucking control REALLY FAST :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Attachments
newD.jpg
newd1.jpg
newd2.jpg
newd3.jpg

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: New Build 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel Expo/Chase/Tow/Truck

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:43 pm

This should be interesting. ExPo-esque, you might say.

Where did you find a leftover '12?

Keeping it mild may be a problem, especially since you are starting with 37s and a 6 1/2 inch lift. And it's obvious you have restraint issues. Lol!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 am

I found it at White dodge in Raliegh, nc. A lucky thing to because the 2013's ( from the rumor mill) are running a completely different tuning method. I am flying up Tom to drive it back from NC. Pretty excited about it too!!! I got it for $39,500 (after weeks of haggling). And the fact the needed it gone. It's fairly loaded up to with power everything AND with the vinyl floor( which I wanted). Plus the price was hard to say no too. Lol.

*sent from my gay IPhone

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Is it a Cab and Chassis 2012? A standard 2012 3500 wouldn't have DEF. From what I read, the DEF actually helps fuel mileage quite a bit over the DPF system.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 pm

myoung84 wrote:Is it a Cab and Chassis 2012? A standard 2012 3500 wouldn't have DEF. From what I read, the DEF actually helps fuel mileage quite a bit over the DPF system.
Yes. It was a Cab and Chassis thus why it has the Urea Fill tank (blue cap) DEF behind the drivers door. From my research, they put those on the Cab and Chassis ONLY rigs because it is a better system (more reliable and better fuel economy) than the DPF system, From what the sales rep said, it is less of a "plug" on the exhaust system, and it is built for more "Severe Duty" as the Cab and Chassis are considered to get "worked harder" idle longer, more towing,and generally have longer intervals between maintenance than the regular 3/4 ton and 1 ton rigs... ???? Honestly, I dont know, BUT it has a 100k 5 year drivetrain warranty, so I am not really concerned about it. I might put 50K on her, and then do the EGR delete, and the DEF delete, but as I am sort of a "tree Hugger" I think it will benefit the environment if I just leave it on, and not fuck with it... Not really concerned about fuel economy with a 800+ft/lbs Cummins, and after the lift and tires etc.etc. and towing a heavy Power Wagon on a trailer, it will simply get the job done (quickly I might add) LOL

I did the same research as you concerning the difference between the DEF and the DPF systems... all that I have read, they DEF system is More expensive system for dodge to install, but is a better system in the long run (other than having to put Urea fluid in it about every 7500 miles.) I guess that is just the cost of having a 800+ Ft/lbs diesel engine. :lockedandloaded: :lockedandloaded: :lockedandloaded:

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 pm

I think the DEF system is better. I know they have been on the C&C trucks for a while and they just recently went to the same system (2013 I think) on the regular 2500 and 3500 trucks. Just from skimming through threads on Dodge Talk, the fuel mileage is a lot better. I'd be willing to bet you get better mileage on 37's while pulling the Power Wagon than you do in the Power Wagon empty. LOL.

And I think you also get the Aisin transmission, which is better than the 68RFE.

Good looking truck BTW! I can't wait to see it when you get done. If it's just a sliver of what you've done the the Power Wagon it's going to be awesome! Any reason why you're going with KORE rather than Carli or Thuren?
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 am

THanks man,,, I appreciate the thumbs up. It does have the bigger HD transmission in it, but I heard the 68RFE is BALLZZZ tough anyways. My employees keep saying that we need to pull the side fenders and hook it up like the Dakar build, with the round headlights and side protection... I just cant build a poser rig with all the goodies, if I am not mentally going to actually wheel this rig, No sense in adding the weight of protection, if I am never going to need it. LOL But the way things go with me, if I dent the front fenders randomly, then I get the ideas to pull them off... Then why put the lift and tires on the rig if I am never going to wheel it???? Your SO right!!!!!!! Now I am really questioning the purpose of this truck.....

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 am

I have visions of this turning out like Off Road Evolution's RESQ1
Minus the "Jeep" part of course....:)
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 am

gun45boat wrote:THanks man,,, I appreciate the thumbs up. It does have the bigger HD transmission in it, but I heard the 68RFE is BALLZZZ tough anyways. My employees keep saying that we need to pull the side fenders and hook it up like the Dakar build, with the round headlights and side protection... I just cant build a poser rig with all the goodies, if I am not mentally going to actually wheel this rig, No sense in adding the weight of protection, if I am never going to need it. LOL But the way things go with me, if I dent the front fenders randomly, then I get the ideas to pull them off... Then why put the lift and tires on the rig if I am never going to wheel it???? Your SO right!!!!!!! Now I am really questioning the purpose of this truck.....
So, here's my thoughts and what I would probably do if I was in your situation. Since this is a tow pig, I would reconsider the big lift and tires. Sure it will look awesome, but you need a good tow pig not an awesome offroad beast (which you already have one of). I would do a Carli 3" Pin-top 2.5 suspension system and add in a full set of Deaver leaf springs. Then go with a 35" AT tire, like the Toyo ATII. This will still give you a truck with good road manners, still look awesome, and if needed, hit some decent trails. From there, just deck it out as a utility/recovery type vehicle.

Again, that's just my thoughts and opinions. :D

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 pm

myoung84 wrote:
gun45boat wrote:THanks man,,, I appreciate the thumbs up. It does have the bigger HD transmission in it, but I heard the 68RFE is BALLZZZ tough anyways. My employees keep saying that we need to pull the side fenders and hook it up like the Dakar build, with the round headlights and side protection... I just cant build a poser rig with all the goodies, if I am not mentally going to actually wheel this rig, No sense in adding the weight of protection, if I am never going to need it. LOL But the way things go with me, if I dent the front fenders randomly, then I get the ideas to pull them off... Then why put the lift and tires on the rig if I am never going to wheel it???? Your SO right!!!!!!! Now I am really questioning the purpose of this truck.....
So, here's my thoughts and what I would probably do if I was in your situation. Since this is a tow pig, I would reconsider the big lift and tires. Sure it will look awesome, but you need a good tow pig not an awesome offroad beast (which you already have one of). I would do a Carli 3" Pin-top 2.5 suspension system and add in a full set of Deaver leaf springs. Then go with a 35" AT tire, like the Toyo ATII. This will still give you a truck with good road manners, still look awesome, and if needed, hit some decent trails. From there, just deck it out as a utility/recovery type vehicle.

I agree with this. Create something that will be a pleasure to drive on the road, as this will most likely be where it spends most of it's time. At the end of a tough wheeling trip, you just want to glide home, not fight your way there. You can still do some suspension and tires, but keep the road and towing aspect in mind.

Of course, it's yours, so only you have the final say.

Wow. Did we just tell you NOT to spend money???

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:31 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:
myoung84 wrote:

Wow. Did we just tell you NOT to spend money???

I know. It hurt a little typing that out. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:16 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA Yea.. I was not expecting a response to not spend money on a new build... LOL :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Just got the truck home from Raleigh,NC.. WOW what an amazing truck.. I drove it nicely the entire way back to FLorida, Switching speeds from 70mph to 60mph with cool down periods every hour for the differentials to break in properly (basically found a place that has a hose, and sprayed down the diffs to help cool them down) I know it is probably overkill to do this, but I know, being a mechanic, that the first 1000 miles is pretty important for break-in on the engine and diffs. ANyways, I have only gotten into her about half throttle, but DAMN what an engine!!!!!!!! Getting an oil change today at the dealer with 1000 miles on the clock. Averaged 17mpg on the highway, but I am sure the more she breaks in the better those numbers will be....Yes, those were hand calculated miles,,, but I will say that the Lie-o-meter was pretty close to my hand calculated numbers. VERY comfortable truck!!!!!!

I did decide to go ahead and go all out on this truck, with the larger lift, and the 37" tires, The gears are WAY low on this truck, so I do need to gear it with some bigger tires to lower the RPM's going down the highway. I have not decided yet what lift to go with. I will however go with some all terrain tires etc.etc.

I should be ordering the lift in the next 2 weeks after I do a ton of research, I like the Deaver Springs idea in the rear!!!!!

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

Sweet! That's some pretty impressive mileage on a brand new engine.

If you want to go all out, the Carli Dominator 3.0 6" radius arm system get's my vote!

http://www.carlisuspension.com/dodge-ra ... ator3.html

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 am

HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!! $10,000 for a lift kit!!!!!!!!! WHat the fuck have they been smoking!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL Great kit, but WAY TO MUCH MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 am

LOL. That's pretty much the best of the best. Between the radium arm setup and the shocks themselves, it gets expensive!

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Suspension system, not lift kit. Big difference.

WINCH MOB PROUD!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm

I've got to see where this truck goes once you start modding it. Sounds like one hell of a project!
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:33 pm

THis truck is just to big to "go" anywhere. LOL But I have decided on the tire and wheel combo, as I just pulled the trigger on a fresh set of Military H1 double beadlock wheels (the 24 bolt series) with a near (99% tread) new set of Military Goodyear Hi 37" tires WITH the internal balance rings. I got a set of 5 here locally for $700.00 and they are near NEW condition. So as Of now I will be running a set of 37's on the new truck.. Now I just need to find a Decent 4" to 6" lift kit for around 2K. I have found it difficult to find a kit for the 2012 3500 series trucks.. Or am i just an idiot?:)

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Gone but Never Forgotten
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am

gun45boat wrote:THis truck is just to big to "go" anywhere. LOL But I have decided on the tire and wheel combo, as I just pulled the trigger on a fresh set of Military H1 double beadlock wheels (the 24 bolt series) with a near (99% tread) new set of Military Goodyear Hi 37" tires WITH the internal balance rings. I got a set of 5 here locally for $700.00 and they are near NEW condition. So as Of now I will be running a set of 37's on the new truck.. Now I just need to find a Decent 4" to 6" lift kit for around 2K. I have found it difficult to find a kit for the 2012 3500 series trucks.. Or am i just an idiot?:)
I am VERY curious to see how this tire and wheel combo works for you!!! I've heard that 16.5" wheels will not fit on 4th gen Rams (I know my calipers are a VERY close fit to my stock 17" wheels), I am definitely going to be watching and waiting to see if they do in fact work! Good luck!!!

Which Goodyears did you get? The older "W" pattern ones or the newer MTR pattern?

I am gonna feel like a real dummy if the 16.5" wheels work, I had contemplated them back before I bought my MTRKs! Your whole set cost less than two MTRKs!!!

Oh, and, BTW- That's a GREAT looking truck you've got there! Great find!!!

Also, I second the choice of a Carli radius arm suspension!!! That would be AWESOME!!!!

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Mexican Import wrote:http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/stor ... age-1.html This looks interesting...
This right here kills the deal for me- I don't do lift blocks: "rear 2.5" lift blocks with u-bolts"
Gone but Never Forgotten

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mexican Import » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 pm

I whole heartedly agree lift blocks are the axle wrappinest, unhandiest, rediculouslesiest, turds money can buy in the offroad aftermarket.... but he said he wanted a lift for around $2500 so I pointed it out. :D

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Mexican Import wrote:I whole heartedly agree lift blocks are the axle wrappinest, unhandiest, rediculouslesiest, turds money can buy in the offroad aftermarket.... but he said he wanted a lift for around $2500 so I pointed it out. :D
That's the same reason I suggested Carli. It's about that price, but it has real suspension components instead of icky lift blocks.
Gone but Never Forgotten

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mexican Import » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:51 am

Indeed, very true.