Noob's 2013 Power Wagon Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Noob's 2013 Power Wagon Build

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:01 am

Hey Everyone,

So, I just bought a new 2013 Power Wagon about a month ago and the mods are already on their way. I'll continue to update this thread as time progresses, but I thought I'd tease a little with what's coming. Currently planned mods are as follows: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 6" 540 Driving Lamps, PIAA 4" 530 Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairlead, 2" Taller Custom Front Springs (Being Made by SDHQ Offroad), Carli Adjustable Track Bar, 2-4" Lift Bilstein 5100 Series Front Shocks, & Longer Bump Stops. I was told by Carli that my Sway Bar End Links are long enough from the factory so I wouldn't need to change them out if I'm just leveling the front by two inches. I'm also relocating the winch controller port to the inside of the truck, along with flush mounting the PIAA switches in the dash. Should be some great projects over the next four weeks! :shock:
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Noob's 2013 Power Wagon Build

Post by wingerak92 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:45 pm

That is quite the endeavour! Can't wait to see the pics!
2012 SAGEBRUSH POWER WAGON SLT
Aluminess Front Bumper, Air Raid Intake, Auxiliary Switches, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Stock size Duratracs on Stock Wheels for winters.... For now....

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Sounds like fun! BTW, use the factory wiring harness from the fog lights, make a few cuts, the solder the new joints on the PIAA 540 lights. That's what I did with mine and it works like a charm. That way, I just press my "fog light button" on the dash and they light up. Saves me from running new wires and mounting more switches. :cheers:
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 am

Hey Juday, I thought about doing that, but a friend reminded me that the fog lamps shut off when the brights are engaged. As a hunter, I'd like to have as many lights on as possible while I'm coming in and out of the wilderness at night. Especially in the rocky mountainous environment of Arizona. I've already begun the process of running all my wiring harnesses for the PIAA 540's and 530's. I'll post some pictures of what I have so far. It's become very time consuming, so I've yet to finish. I've made some good progress though. Thanks for the suggestion though. I need all the help I can get :0P
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 am

Where in AZ? I'm in Cottonwood. I also like lots of light at night but have put generic halogen lights on my truck. Easy on the wallet and they work just fine!:

2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 pm

I live in Mesa, but wheel all over the place. I really like that switch panel you installed. As soon as I figure out how to downsize the pictures I have of my build (so far) I'll get them posted. The picture file sizes are too large to post.
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Are you aware that there is an accessory switch panel available from Mopar for the 4th Gen Rams? It fits in the dash. I think myoung84 has one. There is a thread with the part number on here somewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm

So, I got started this weekend with my build ...

I plan to lengthen my winch controller port harness so I can relocate it into the cab ...

I'll also be running the wiring harnesses for the PIAA 540's and 530's I bought for the Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Bumper I ordered ...

I'll be using this blank firewall port plate to run my wiring through ...

Here's what it looks like from the inside. There are just two 15mm nuts that need to be removed and the plate slides out from the engine compartment side ...

I purchased this piece of electrical conduit for the build because I want to keep the wires protected while still allowing the firewall port to remain water resistant ... you'll see later that it required some modification ...

I placed the nut over the back side of the port plate to mark where the hole would need to be made ...

... and Dremeled it out ...

I cut the flange and shaved it down so I can apply a rubber boot to the housing and wiring to keep it all water resistant ...

Here it is installed in the plate ...

... and here's the assembly installed into the firewall ...

I'm thinking of installing the switches for the PIAA lamps in this removed panel, but I've yet to pull the trigger on that

I removed the center dash surround to access a panel I think will work for my winch controller port relocation ...

I started by removing the two torx screws located under the rubber mat located in the top tray ...

I removed the cubby/panel unit located in the lower right corner ...

... it's just four philips head screws

... and that's as far as I made it this weekend! ... I'll keep you all apprised of my progress as it comes!
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 pm

FirerescuePW ... I was not aware of that ... luckily I haven't pulled the trigger on mounting my switches yet. I'll look into it and share what I ultimately decide. Thanks for the heads up! :notworthy:
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes, MOPAR sells an auxilary panel (actually come in the 4500 and 5500 models) that can be fitted in our trucks.

Part Number: 5164912AC
There is also a pigtail wiring harness that you can also buy with the kit. That is Part Number: 68057288AA

Here is the switch:

And the pigtail:

I have them both sitting in my garage, waiting on some auxiliary lights to put on the front bumper....
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Now that I look at the changes on the 2013 dash, I'm not sure if that switch will work, or not?........
2012 RAM Power Wagon

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Juday wrote:Now that I look at the changes on the 2013 dash, I'm not sure if that switch will work, or not?........
Nope, it will not...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by wingerak92 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

The 2013s did come with the option for the auxiliary. The pricey way would be to go to your dealer and get it all there.
Aluminess Front Bumper, Air Raid Intake, Auxiliary Switches, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Stock size Duratracs on Stock Wheels for winters.... For now....

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 am

I wish I could be that organized!!!!!!

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:26 am

I'll call the dealership today to see what they offer and what the cost would be. Once I get the part numbers and cost (if it's possible at all) I'll post the information here. I do like the idea of a clean factory look.
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

wingerak92
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by wingerak92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 am

SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:I'll call the dealership today to see what they offer and what the cost would be. Once I get the part numbers and cost (if it's possible at all) I'll post the information here. I do like the idea of a clean factory look.
That's your best bet. I tried to find it last night but I could only find the switch banks for half tons and the one that is set up for heated seats

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

So, I'd like to get some opinions on possible suspension upgrades. Let me begin by saying that I intend to eventually outfit my truck with full Carli Suspension, but after spending a few thousand on other upgrades I can't quite yet afford that. I still want to at least level my truck in the mean time though.

My two options right now are both intended to level the front of the truck with the rear. I measured 11.5" of wheel clearance in the rear and 9.5" of clearance in the front. I therefore require a 2" leveling kit to bring the front and rear roughly even. I've already purchased a Mopar (Ready Lift) 2" Leveling Kit w/ Longer Bump Stops, but I've yet to install it because I'm hesitant to "Puck" a working 4x4 ... and yes, I use my truck off-road. She's no trailer queen. My second option (after an exhaustive search and no luck) is to have Deaver Suspension make some custom springs that will achieve the same leveling effect as the 2" kit from Mopar (Ready Lift), but with a more functional spring for true off road use. I'd still have to install the longer bump stops, but I just feel the taller springs would be better than the spacer. What are your thoughts?

For some more detailed background information on how I came to "custom" springs. I've been in contact with both SDHQ Off-Road and Carli Suspension. They've both come to the conclusion that the only way to achieve a 2" lift in the front is with a puck or some custom springs that would lift the truck 2" taller in the front.
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

ScottWagon1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ScottWagon1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Have a 2013 and in the same boat. I order the Carli 3" hemi coils and Carli track bar. I did a lob of research before I came to this.
1.Some of the fourth gen guys on here got right around 2" with this set up.
2. Pure Preformance 4" coil should have done it too but to do it right you would need a track bar drop bracket, coils, drop pitman arm, longer sway bar end links blah blah. At least that's what everyone told me. Why you need all this with one set up and not the other I'm not sure. Guys have the Carli set up and it has seemed to work well.
3. Both options cost about the same and option one is a lot less parts to install and uninstall(warranty work)if need be.
I ordered the Carli springs and track bar and have the Thuren control arms. Just named to find the time to install it. I'll let you know how it comes out and I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Carl Scott: Black 2012 PW 35/12.50/17 Nitto Mud Grappler. Thuren control arms. Carli 3" Hmei coils. Carli Track bar. Magnaflow dual inlet/single outlet muffler. Front window tint. Clear Bra. Cold air intake. Hard wired lockers. All options but leather and dual climate

ScottWagon1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ScottWagon1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Sorry for the errors. Damn fat fingers and IPhone!

Carl Scott: Black 2012 PW 35/12.50/17 Nitto Mud Grappler. Thuren control arms. Carli 3" Hmei coils. Carli Track bar. Magnaflow dual inlet/single outlet muffler. Front window tint. Clear Bra. Cold air intake. Hard wired lockers. All options but leather and dual climate

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

I bought my truck with a 3" pucks installed, I don't seem to have any issues with it but then it's not a pw with lots of flex and I don't go rock climbing with it either. I will get 3" diesel springs when the budget allows. I do take it off pavement just about every day!
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

ScottWagon1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ScottWagon1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 pm

verdesardog wrote:I bought my truck with a 3" pucks installed, I don't seem to have any issues with it but then it's not a pw with lots of flex and I don't go rock climbing with it either. I will get 3" diesel springs when the budget allows. I do take it off pavement just about every day!
Power wagon sit higher than your truck from the factory. But only the springs are different. Control arms pitman arm etc are the same to those parts a stretched to the limits as is. 2" on a regular dodge is 4" on a power wagon. Hence drop pitman arm, new control arms , new track bar etc....all to keep proper suspension geometry.
Pucks/spacer on regular dodge is ok because they don't flex near as much=less stress on coils and buckets. Power wagon flex a lot=coil stress and bucket stress. Flex enough for coil bind at full flex. Hope this makes since. You could put spacer on a power wagon but you are more susceptible to problems in the future.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Looks like you're making some good progress!
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 pm

ScottWagon1 wrote:Have a 2013 and in the same boat. I order the Carli 3" hemi coils and Carli track bar. I did a lob of research before I came to this.
1.Some of the fourth gen guys on here got right around 2" with this set up.
2. Pure Preformance 4" coil should have done it too but to do it right you would need a track bar drop bracket, coils, drop pitman arm, longer sway bar end links blah blah. At least that's what everyone told me. Why you need all this with one set up and not the other I'm not sure. Guys have the Carli set up and it has seemed to work well.
3. Both options cost about the same and option one is a lot less parts to install and uninstall(warranty work)if need be.
I ordered the Carli springs and track bar and have the Thuren control arms. Just named to find the time to install it. I'll let you know how it comes out and I hope this helps!

From speaking with Carli, the 3" Hemi Coils will only raise the front of the 2013 PW by 3/4", which is just to little for what I'd pay. In speaking with one of the Carli engineers he states the 3" Hemi Coils were designed for the standard 2500 not the PW which already has a slight factory lift. Being that the factory 2" Leveling Kit only comes with 2" Spring Cups and longer Bump Stops, I can't imagine the 2" taller springs would cause too many issues with everything else. Otherwise Mopar wouldn't even offer the 2" leveling kit in the first place. Am I in the right line of thinking here or am I overthinking the whole thing?
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Well then my truck must be a freak because I got right at 2" with my Carli Hemi coils.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I imagine there have been some members that have installed 2" spacers on their trucks. I'd like to hear about successes and failures to gauge whether this is something I should do. The factory spacer kit comes with longer over travel stops, so coil bind isn't something I worry about. It's the rest of the geometry that worries me. I know the sway bar end links are longer than what comes on a standard 2500. Carli was upfront and honest about that. They said I didn't really have to change those if I didn't want to.

I just wonder between 2" taller springs and a 2" puck, which will be the better option for a user truck. Longer over travel stops are a given. I just don't want to destroy stuff before I can afford the $3,200 Carli system.
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman