Rock Rail Build

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Powerwagonmark
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Rock Rail Build

Post by Powerwagonmark » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Here is my rock rail build hope it helps for those looking for ideas.. I used .250 plate that I welded to the frame. Than 2x2 .250 wall tubing welded to the plates with .250 gussets. For the rail I used 2x2 .250 wall with a 2" round tube .187 wall for the step. I know its overkill but once I weld those suckers on there never coming off so they have to be very strong. I would use .250 wall for the step instead of .187 because I dented my step on a rock.
I left only about a quarter inch between the rail and the pinch weld but the rail is still over an inch from the actual rocker.
Attachments
rr1.jpg
Cutting my tube to length
rr2.jpg
rr3.jpg
rr4.jpg
rr5.jpg
Welding up the rock rails
rr6.jpg
rr7.jpg
rr8.jpg
rr9.jpg
Back from Line-X
rr10.jpg
rr11.jpg
Welding the rock rails to the frame.
rr12.jpg
Finished product
2008 Dodge POWER WAGON
Power Wagon= 12000lb Warn winch, Electronic Disconnecting Swaybar, Front and rear lockers, 4.56 gears

Upgrades= BDS 4" long arm lift, JBA Shorty headers, Custom MBRP Y-Pipe, MBRP Custom exhaust, Stainless Steel front and rear brake lines, Thuren Adjustable track bar with Fox Racing Steering Stabilizer, Thuren/Atlas custom leafs, Thuren 6" Coil Springs, Thuren Adjustable Shackles, Redhead steering box, Carli front diff guard, Airflow Snorkel, Vent Tubes Extended, Custom Rock Rails(made by me), Custom rear tube bumper(made by me), Rockcrusher rear diff guard, Bushwacker pocket flares, Trimmed fenders, DT Profab Steering Box Brace, Borgeson steering shaft, 1 Ton Tranny cooler, Mickey Thompson 17x9 Sidebiter Wheels, Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5x17, Road Armour front bumper trimmed for extra clearance with lightbar and 4 KC lights and 4 Piaa's, Procomp Explorer Lights mounted on backrack, Wireless winch remote, Tints, clear cab lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, HighLift Jack, Tool box, RBP gas cover(piece of junk). Line-xed from head to toe. More straps, shackles and pulleys than I actually need.

chromehound
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Rock Rail Build

Post by chromehound » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

Any close up pics of where you mounted it to the frame? I'm just wanting to make sure my design is right before I go into production mode.

Thanks

Powerwagonmark
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Powerwagonmark » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:03 am

Sorry I got no close up ones. I'll take a few pics when I get a chance . Remember I have a long arm lift on mine so my mounting points will be different than stock. Take that into consideration if you plan on lifting your truck.
2008 Dodge POWER WAGON
Power Wagon= 12000lb Warn winch, Electronic Disconnecting Swaybar, Front and rear lockers, 4.56 gears

Upgrades= BDS 4" long arm lift, JBA Shorty headers, Custom MBRP Y-Pipe, MBRP Custom exhaust, Stainless Steel front and rear brake lines, Thuren Adjustable track bar with Fox Racing Steering Stabilizer, Thuren/Atlas custom leafs, Thuren 6" Coil Springs, Thuren Adjustable Shackles, Redhead steering box, Carli front diff guard, Airflow Snorkel, Vent Tubes Extended, Custom Rock Rails(made by me), Custom rear tube bumper(made by me), Rockcrusher rear diff guard, Bushwacker pocket flares, Trimmed fenders, DT Profab Steering Box Brace, Borgeson steering shaft, 1 Ton Tranny cooler, Mickey Thompson 17x9 Sidebiter Wheels, Pitbull Rockers 37x12.5x17, Road Armour front bumper trimmed for extra clearance with lightbar and 4 KC lights and 4 Piaa's, Procomp Explorer Lights mounted on backrack, Wireless winch remote, Tints, clear cab lights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, HighLift Jack, Tool box, RBP gas cover(piece of junk). Line-xed from head to toe. More straps, shackles and pulleys than I actually need.

chromehound
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by chromehound » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 am

When ever you get some would be fine. I'm mainly worried with where vetically to put my plates or if I should do plates that are the full height of the frame since I've seen so many diffrent styles made but none actually on a PW. I'm not planning on any more height but things do change.

Powerwagonmark
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Powerwagonmark » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 am

The full height of the frame is fine. Are you bolting them on or welding???
2008 Dodge POWER WAGON

chromehound
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by chromehound » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Bolting so if I ever screw them up, need/want to change something, re-cover them or sell the truck they can be pulled off.