BUILD THREAD COMMENTS

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: BUILD THREAD COMMENTS

Post by Hammerballs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am

Couldn't the originator/owner of the build thread just keep editing/adding build specific stuff to a couple initial posts instead of adding to the end where it gets mixed into others comments. Then people can look at the end of those initial posts for the build and ask questions get responses from the build owner at the end of the thread. Just a thought. Maybe not ideal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BoldAdventure
Model Year: 2015

Post by BoldAdventure » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

Hammerballs wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am
Couldn't the originator/owner of the build thread just keep editing/adding build specific stuff to a couple initial posts instead of adding to the end where it gets mixed into others comments. Then people can look at the end of those initial posts for the build and ask questions get responses from the build owner at the end of the thread. Just a thought. Maybe not ideal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
The problem is the current forum software is sorta limiting. You could, but you'd need to like actually keep doing that.

I setup the guidelines to sort of encourage that with the first post. Having a list of everything done to the truck TO DATE, along with a current photo of where it's add. So you sort of have an overview picture. And then people can dig through the tread for details I guess.

What's particularly frustrating to me, is only on this site do we have build threads with hundreds of replies.

That happens on smaller close-knit groups.

I was part of another niche off-road vehicle group for a long time, and we were a small close-knit group and a problem we had was every thread turned in the same 10 of use chit chatting away in. And new people would come in, with a question or two and get lost and disappear after awhile forever. We couldn't retain new members.

But you know, reading the build threads here, on expo portal and other places have helped me in my own build. And are a valuable resource.

But I get that some of the old-timers here liked things just the way they were. Maybe we could turn the website off randomly once a month too, so it's just like old times? :poke:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm with you that there's room for improvement. I had already spruced up my first post to follow your format, I thought it was a good idea and like to be a team player when I can. I just didn't think locking the threads to anybody but the originator was the right answer to the problem, apparently others agreed with me. I appreciate the flexibility in going back on that.

If, going forward, the forum management and membership decides that that really is the best route to go in this section, I think the threads should just be closed to anybody but the OP, and I don't think we need this catch-all comment thread. Maybe this is just an artifact of how you have to clean up old threads and stop the chit chat posts in the short term, but it's clearly just confusing to people and doesn't really work as a build-related discussion area (if that was even the intent, I don't know). It's like being in a busy room with a multitude of different conversations all happening at the same volume, and half the people are just yelling "why the hell am I in here?".

I have joined other forums that include an acknowledgment of the rules as part of the onboarding process for new members. I signed up here so long ago that I don't recall if that was part of the process (and it's probably changed now anyway), but maybe the ground rules for this area could be included in something like that. "Welcome to the forum. Be constructive and nice to each other. These are the rules for buy/sell/trade. These are the rules for vendors. Member Builds section is for value-added build-related content only, keep the fluff comments and side conversation to yourself, violating posts may be deleted without notice."

It's nice seeing some life put back into this place, but I think some growing pains and trial and error are to be expected.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 pm

:nopics:

^^^^^
I love getting that in my build posts
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 pm

What are the maximum number of pictures that can be inserted in a post?
Best Year Power Wagon

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 am

No idea.

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am

Take a look at my build thread, I edited all of the mods into the first post. There doesn't appear to be a limit to the number of images in one post.
Best Year Power Wagon

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am
Take a look at my build thread, I edited all of the mods into the first post. There doesn't appear to be a limit to the number of images in one post.
Nice work on the re-org, like it. Not sure I have the time commitment or patience to do that myself...
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 pm
What are the maximum number of pictures that can be inserted in a post?
I try to limit myself to about 5 or 6 pic's per post on the same item. This way when people comment on them. You know which pic's, and nothing is running together.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am

Mine is behind, I really need to get in there and clean it up and fix broken images. Just been going crazy with a bunch of life stuff.