Alpine Loop - Colorado Camping

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Alpine Loop - Colorado Camping

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 am

Early planning stages, and since some don’t use FB, thought I would post here as well.

Planning to do a shorter weekend run up the Alpine Loop, Imogean Pass and over night camping. Possibly other trails. Late June or Mid July.

No way in a million years will it be around the 4th or Memorial Day.

About 5 of us that might be there.

Details will follow as we hammer it out.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Re: Alpine Loop - Colorado Camping

Post by KevinABQ » Mon May 21, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm interested. Not sure I can as I'm on-call in June, but might be able to trade with someone.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 pm

I always go on the 4th. The 4th is a blast. Just cannot camp in the Valley near Silverton obviously. We are planning to camp off Stony Pass this year, maybe just camp on the trail. The parade is fun and we always take a massive amount of Moriarty Ordinance with us.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Will plan for the 4th again next year. End of summer of 2019 will build a private play ground and camp site 2 miles outside of town. Once I have it ready I will let everyone know. Will be really close for camping but no zoo. Don't think I can get my permits and a week of road building done by the 4th.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:45 am

Two miles outside of what town?
-------
------

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Silverton, 2 Miles up 550 towards Durango on East side, above the Animas. Dayton Load.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Silverton, 2 Miles up 550 towards Durango on East side, above the Animas. Dayton Load.
I fawn for that area. I love driving 550. Animas is a sweet spot. If a stranger in a Power Wagon had a few cases of beer would you give him a tour of the prospect?

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm

You bet. Will keep you guys updated. I plan to set up a nice group spot over looking Silverton on the other end of the property.

1pieceatatime
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 1pieceatatime » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:24 am

Watching with interest - I'd really like to run these trails next year, and meet some fellow PW families. Not sure that timing will work out from us coming over from MI - but mid-July is a possibility maybe. I think wifey is already going to be in South Dakota for a couple of weeks in late June or early July digging up mammoths, so perhaps timing will be serendipitous.

Onlyone

Post by Onlyone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 pm

I’m interested too. 4th of July is busy, but a blast. We used to come down Imogene every year and watch the fireworks in Telluride. Black bear was always hit and miss. Usually still closed. I’m curious how the PW will do on these easy, but tight trails.
2018 Power Wagon. Granite Crystal.
37-12.50-17 KO2s

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I will be their for the 4th for sure 3-7. But I will be there at other times planning, and eventually building a road. Black Bear should be scary but doable. Poughkipsee is the only really difficult trail. Most are fine for PW. Old Mule to Mine trails can get scary. However, that being said, because of the articulation you can maintain stability and get by by driving part way up the up hill side of the trail.

Onlyone

Post by Onlyone » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm
I will be their for the 4th for sure 3-7. But I will be there at other times planning, and eventually building a road. Black Bear should be scary but doable. Poughkipsee is the only really difficult trail. Most are fine for PW. Old Mule to Mine trails can get scary. However, that being said, because of the articulation you can maintain stability and get by by driving part way up the up hill side of the trail.
I’ve been on Poughkeepsie with both my Sport JK and my Rubicon JK. The worst part is it’s almost always wet, somewhere. I had to winch both times. But then again I’ve watched some people just drive right up it. Both times I tried hugging that left side of the obstacle. In a two door it’s the most stable part. It’s really a steep approach. Last time we were there we watched a brand new Raptor bust an axle going up the left side. Seems to me a PW would do well due to the long wheelbase.
Attachments
7BC981B5-CB02-4442-99C6-B9A2F6E75767.jpeg
37-12.50-17 KO2s

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 pm

I cannot wait to try it in a PW, it was open last year when I was around but the freaking Dura Trash tires kept going flat and we went home early after I used up all the tire plugs at the gas station. I was so pissed. Then again, I will live there some day so maybe it does not matter :cheers:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am

We did not get to Poughkeepsie when we were there.

But since we're talking about it, lets all rewatch this video, ohhhh it's so funny.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

-------
------

Onlyone

Post by Onlyone » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Lol. Awesome. There will be scraping on the PW. And the right side like he’s going up will be the best option for the length but it will a lot easier than that. Haha
37-12.50-17 KO2s

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:40 pm

That whole thing looks easy as crap. I've gone up harder obstacles. Tiny girl tires, huge ranch hand and side steps didn't help him the least.
-------
------

Onlyone

Post by Onlyone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:40 pm
That whole thing looks easy as crap. I've gone up harder obstacles. Tiny girl tires, huge ranch hand and side steps didn't help him the least.
It’s not really tough but it’s much steeper than it looks. You've been up Hells Gate. It’s about as steep as that just wet and muddy usually. I would put the two in the same rating. The only real problem with the trail is the wet rocks. It’s definitely fun. Ive run every trail on the loop, several times over. I’m kinda excited to run it in the PW.
37-12.50-17 KO2s

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 am

Way harder then Hells Gate. Its the slipperiness, steepness and altitude. That no Power Wagon. And post this video every time someone jumps on the forums and wants to add a cattle guard to the front.

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:22 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 am
We did not get to Poughkeepsie when we were there.

But since we're talking about it, lets all rewatch this video, ohhhh it's so funny.
HAHAHAHA...a classic. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:24 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 am
Way harder then Hells Gate. Its the slipperiness, steepness and altitude. That no Power Wagon. And post this video every time someone jumps on the forums and wants to add a cattle guard to the front.
Me and David discovered why it's called "Slick Rock" this October. We did the gate after the rain and after a bunch of others put sand all over it. Almost had an incident. I'll never do that wet again. I started having slippage, and then he had a worse time and it slipped off his line. We ended up putting a strap on him and got him out without incident. But we were done for the day after that.
-------
------

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by KevinABQ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:01 pm

I though slick rock was what it was called when people took horse drawn wagons with iron rims onto it.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Absolutely, steel on slick rock...is well, slick. It was a major PIA having to jam things in spokes or use block and pulley or cable to lower wagons. Hole-N-The-Rock trail can give you the best examples of this. Generally slick rock is not a problem for tired vehicles, even allowing absurd vertical climbs that would be physically impossible on any other terrain. I have never had a problem with rain. But any significant amount of snow, and particularly ice is simply horrific. I have turned around on trails because of it, or had full throttle hail Mary sessions to keep from falling off a cliff. Hells Revenge being an easy trail really is not much of an issue, except those few tilt spots like tip over challenge. But something like Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger or Metal Masher should be avoided at all costs. I have done trails such as Poison and Spike in the Snow with out issue. Really any side hill action should be avoided.

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by EasyDoesIt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 pm

I wont make this July trip but we are planning an August run. What trails are you guys running and what campsites are you staying?

Trails we are thinking Poughkeepsie Gulch and Corkscrew/Hurricane/California Gulch.

Camping at Ridgeway State Park and/or blm if we can find legal land.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 pm

EasyDoesIt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 pm
I wont make this July trip but we are planning an August run. What trails are you guys running and what campsites are you staying?

Trails we are thinking Poughkeepsie Gulch and Corkscrew/Hurricane/California Gulch.

Camping at Ridgeway State Park and/or blm if we can find legal land.
My mind is all PWIM the next two weeks, but when we get home, I'm going to start planning some stuff. I made a deal with work and added some more vacation time, which I am going to take advantage!

:cheers:

I would love to tackle Poughkeepsie. I'd just love to spend a little more time in the area in general. Really enjoyed the brief stint last year. And looking forward to spending about as much time there as we do in Moab.
-------
------

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Ok, I am closing on the rest of the mining claims in the area, I bought them all! Going to sell off 7 of the 8 for home sites after developing roads, building sites, and plans with county. Picked our site. This land is hidden, but right off the highway with mines, old building, giant waterfalls, the best views in the US and more. After August 8th if anyone wants a private camp area 2 miles to town shoot me a PM. There are 2 entrances, a bit nasty lower one with pin striping, and an upper one. Lots of mines, but I need to re-open the main tunnel.