MOAB 2018 - It was awesome!

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: MOAB 2018 - Apr 30 - May 6

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 am

Mike, Pleasure to meet you. Can you explain your above statement? "think you suck",, Dangerous or irresponsible? Obviously I get "trail Etiquette" and "Tread Lightly" as Ive been a long time member of Tread Lightly, BRC, RTC, etc.etc.

I just wanted to clarify your statement as I am driving up from Florida to attend,,, and I truly enjoy hanging with other PW owners,, and 2015 was a great event,,, But I honestly don't want to drive all this way to Utah (my 11th trip) if your definition of "sucking",, "dangerous, or irresponsible" with the threat of getting "booted" means NOT completing Hell's Gate in reverse (like 2015) or a full throttle assault up Hot Tub, or attempting Metal Masher Bouncing off the Rev Limiter, or getting tires "hot and sticky" (lots of smoke) before attempting a HUGE, Steep rock climb (Area BFE).. Which would be considered Dangerous, or irresponsible to some people,,, But mad fun and great times to other people.

I am coming to Moab for this event to catch up with some peeps from the 2015 event,, Meet some other PW owners and have a great time like 2015, then head on to The Rubicon Trail. But I have been to events where these statements have been made before, and it just takes all the steam out of having a good time on the trail when people threaten to boot people out due to "We think you SUCK" or being "dangerous, irresponsible"... Not trying to be a dick, I am just hesitant at this point to attend the event if you consider "aggressive, trying difficult lines, pushing limits" wheeling as "Dangerous,Irresponsible, we think you Suck" wheeling.. If this is the case,, I will wheel my own trails, and catch up with you folks at night for beers

I've just been to some crappy events before where these statements have been made, and I wished I had asked the questions before I attended the event (South Dakota OR rally) because their "opinion" on "dangerous and irresponsible" truly meant that anything faster than crawl speed or slightly above idle WAS considered " Dangerous and Irresponsible" and it made for one hell of a boring event....

Mike

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am

I think what Mike is saying, Mike, is that if Mike starts driving off trail and doing burnouts over soil bacteria, Mike will kick your butt out. And by Mike I mean JorDanee because Mike probably doesn’t care much about what Mike does. Also if Mike starts doing things that are going to get PWIM banned like littering or driving in a way that’s going to kill someone else, that’s not kosher. Otherwise we’re all here to have fun and push these trucks and some guys will take the hard lines and smack sheet metal into a rock and drag paint and add rubber to the rocks.

Does that make sense, Mike?

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 am

Copy that. Needed some clarification. Thank you. Didn't want another repeat to the last SD run,,,which truly SUCKED!!!!!

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:07 am

IMO that did seem to come out of nowhere... I figured there would definitely be more explanation coming...
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 am

gun45boat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 am
Mike, Pleasure to meet you. Can you explain your above statement? "think you suck",, Dangerous or irresponsible? Obviously I get "trail Etiquette" and "Tread Lightly" as Ive been a long time member of Tread Lightly, BRC, RTC, etc.etc.
JeepinJonny a member here who was with you in 2015 and 2016 had made a post yesterday about some guys who were running an event. Lots of stupid and reckless. Driving off trail and damaging an area and some truly dangerous wenching. He had some video of the stuff that if something did go wrong, people would get killed.

Basically don’t be an asshat. Anyhow the post grinded my gears and thus the above comment.

No one was last year. We had no problems last year. But we all encountered some dumb dumbs, usually on quads last year. And one asshat in a Broncho who decided to do a burnout in front of me. Because Power Wagons don’t belong on his Hell’s :roll:

But this also isn’t freestyle like it was in 2015 or 2016. Matter of fact, we stood around in a parking lot for 2 1/2 hours waiting on PitSlave to come back so we could decide on a trail. I know your rig is built. To mean dangerous is putting anyone else at risk. And sucking is basically what DamageWagon said. Treating others and the area like shit. I don’t give a shit what you do with yourself. Lots of us go fast, and try lines. You’re not the only one. :p

I don’t mince words. And I don’t beat around the bush. I’ll always give it to ya straight. No sugar coating.

I don’t foresee any problems. But there are a bunch of people I don’t know who they are, so... sometimes you just gotta say stuff.

Already had one guy drop out because he thought we would all start at noon and only be on the trails for an hour or two. Dude has clearly never been to Moab. But that was unrealistic until we said something.

Anyhow, sorry, I thought it was a little more self-explanatory.

:cheers:
Last edited by OffroadTreks on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

Well he took it down because he got into an argument with one of the sponsors of that event, but I had reposted it: https://instagram.com/p/BghPjO0B5No/ that’s what set me off. Also we never really did mention, please don’t be an asshat.
-------
------

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20 am

Last comment, so last year we had a problem with some of the newbs who moved slow on the trail getting behind me, because they were eager. And since I was leading all the trails, this turned into a problem. Poor GTOMike got stuck way in the back.

I kept ending up way ahead of the group. I'd say that last year about 5 of us, didn't need as much beginner spotting. Me and Mike (also there are a lot of Mikes, FYI) move really fast.

So this year, we are going to insist on some lineups. I'm thinking all the experienced guys who don't want to volunteer to help n00bs are going to be up front, either in front of me or directly behind me. You don't have to lead the group, but I also know that you don't want to be behind the people who aren't as confident.

We're going to have to play this one by ear and figure it out day to day and experiment. We've run some of these trails enough times to just know what is where. So...

I'm thinking that people with he most experience though should be up front. This also helps as that the n00bs can watch to see lines and stuff taken.

Also, last comment, Mike, I do listen to feedback and any criticism. I can handle it. I put on my big boy pants today.

Cheers man. Can't wait to see ya all.
-------
------

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 am

I think it's clearer now :D
spanking.gif
spanking.gif (18.84 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 am

I get that, Big boy pants are just a front;) I know I am not the only one that wheels hard brother, I also know there are different wheeling styles than others, and your original post simply needed clarification as to how you worded your "warning" I get that your ass got chapped at something that happened last year,,,but shit happens on all trails, and Dumb ass people are everywhere..God knows I've met a few... Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a waste of time/travel, if the "parameters" of this 2018 PW get together has changed from the previous years of the event. I only came to this event in 2015, it was not a "freestyle" event, and was very well put together and organized,,, and it was an absolute BLAST with very minimal people getting their feelings/butt hurt etc.etc., and the party's in the evenings were EPIC;) We wheeled hard and stuck together as a team. Your post just needed clarification as the nature it was written... I see that you changed the Original post you made, to a more "clearer" picture of what was intended to convey. Thus my needing clarification of the original post i.e.: "we think you suck"

I wanted a clear picture of what this event intended to be for 2018, and if It was going to be worth the drive from Florida to attend. I enjoy wheeling with all types of rigs, and experienced/inexperienced wheelers, hard and easy trails. Your Edited post is much clearer than the original.

Looking forward to seeing the folks from 2015, Jeepin'Johnny, PitSlave, Jeff, and the many others that were amazing folks to wheel with.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 pm

I have no problem leading a group of beginner Power Wagon attendees, and they can take all the time they want to learn and ask questions about their rigs on the trails. I don't recommend putting all the attendees on the same trail with 30+ rigs doing the same trail and the same time (if that is the plan) ? It will make for a VERY long and arduous day of wheeling..

Keep the groups at 6 rigs at the most (I am sure you know this as you have stated that

Maybe put the beginner/"enthusiastic" PW owners together to run SSB or PSM or HJC (great trails to learn your truck on, and just enough pucker factor to keep things very entertaining for the beginner PW guys (which I feel are the most fun to wheel with, because their enthusiasm and attitude are always upbeat)
Then another group of 6 intermediate PW owners to run HG or GC
Then other group of 6 Experienced (big boy pants;) owners to wheel Pritchett/Area BFE etc.

Putting volunteer Trail guides/leads for the decided trails/groups?

Being that I see that 40+ rigs +/- are attending this event,,, I have no problem helping making this a smooth event (if you want the help),, and the best way to make an event a smooth event is to keep the groups small, precise, and evenly matched. I am really sure that you know this, and with that said, I have no problem helping to make this happen.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm

So I’m 2016 basically no one showed up but 4 of us. And then we spent a bunch of time standing around going, what do you wanna do. I’ve talked to Ace and Lief, more Ace. They’re just caught up with life and sound busy as F***

So last year we had 20 rigs. All our trails are planned. We moved at a good clip, the big slow downs in the group were from having one spotter.

We learned towards the end to put the groups into smaller groups with an assigned spotter. Which is how it’s being done this year. Yes, we all will be on the same trails. Trails are on the site. The thing is, like last year, we never had the full 20 on anyone day because people come and go at different times.

From the sign ups, I’ll have to recheck but it’s the same this year. About 40 rigs, minus a few drop outs, and not everyone is there every day. And last year I think 25 had signed up but never showed.

Group one will have a spotter, the first batch go through and keep going. In a few places, like Silver Crack on seven mile, stopping for lunch at Uranium mine, the whole group will come back together. We’ve been conversing with the guys who run EJS and Fullsize Invasion about best practices. The big exception, we made a change for one person last year and moved the start times to 9 and it was just a mistake.

Also, that whole part with me thinking we could do the trifecta, whoops lolol

The funny thing is, groups do move slower. Me and GTOMike, we did Goldbar Rim in like 3hrs to the crack in back. And me and David did Seven Mile equally as fast.

The after party is where the fun for us modded rigs will be.
-------
------

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Copy that..Im sure that you know that the key to Moab is to keep groups small, and on different trails. You will piss off people (other groups) when you have a group of 15+ rigs clogging up a slow trail and they have to wait.

Small groups= happy Groups=less dumb ass's=less feelings hurt=no big boy pants to put on;)

Looking forward to the event, I will be there wearing my Bikini (to offset the Big Boy Pant Wear'ers;), My lady in her Bikini, flip flops, Straw hat, a handle of Rum, full bottle of N20, and a shit eating grin;)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 pm

gun45boat wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 pm
Looking forward to the event, I will be there wearing my Bikini (to offset the Big Boy Pant Wear'ers;), My lady in her Bikini, flip flops, Straw hat, a handle of Rum, full bottle of N20, and a shit eating grin;)
Finally something I can get behind! I think by the time 6 weeks comes around I’ll have a whole new truck and won’t have a camper handicapping me this year! Although it was fun watching Jee guys shit their pants that a 10,500lb 3/4-tin Truck was moving faster than they were on trails... I could do without the body roll. And yes, more rum!!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 pm
gun45boat wrote:
Finally something I can get behind! I think by the time 6 weeks comes around I’ll have a whole new truck and won’t have a camper handicapping me this year! Although it was fun watching Jee guys shit their pants that a 10,500lb 3/4-tin Truck was moving faster than they were on trails... I could do without the body roll. And yes, more rum!!
I'll be right behind you using my cow bumper to help you up the hill. No worries bud. We will keep your new engine from being stressed :D :D :poke:
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm

I dunno, start times might be too early for Mr. Dethloff without his latte.
-------
------

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:06 am

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm
I have a battery powered coffee maker I'm willing to bring for that cause mike
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 am

Excuse you that’s a mochafrappalatte, and that shit goes out the window as soon as I leave Portland

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 am

nts007 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:06 am
MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm
I have a battery powered coffee maker I'm willing to bring for that cause mike
I’ve got plenty of solar. We should be golden. lol
-------
------

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:06 am

MikeKey wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm
Based on those of you I know, at least who I talk to frequently, and not just from last year, I think we'll have a really good group this year. Should be a good time all around.

I just want to make a point, we're expecting people to adhere to Tread lightly and trail etiquette will be expected of everyone attending PWIM.

If we think you’re putting others in danger, or being an asshat, and doing things that would get PWIM banned or fined or featured on an episode of cops, your ass will be booted. PERIOD! End of discussion. Public shaming will commence.

Doing hard lines and going fast is fine and dandy.
What about Live P.D. ??
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:08 am

And to be clear it was 2hr 23min..... Don't wait for me, I'll catch up lol.

John Adams - 1826

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:16 am

gun45boat wrote:
Copy that..Im sure that you know that the key to Moab is to keep groups small, and on different trails. You will piss off people (other groups) when you have a group of 15+ rigs clogging up a slow trail and they have to wait.

Small groups= happy Groups=less dumb ass's=less feelings hurt=no big boy pants to put on;)

Honestly haven't decided if I'm bringing an oxygen tank plumbed in the intake....yet.... either a straw hat or Stetson with overalls for the attire, possible I might bring a sombrero...not sure just yet.

John Adams - 1826

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Pit, I am sure that you had a good reason to be 2.23 hours late. I'm sure she was hung over and half naked,,,(it always takes longer to get them motivated and out of the tent/hotel when an empty handle of kerosene was involved the night before;););););)

Surprised they waited for you... I would have left your ass with a treasure map, and an empty shot glass;) (of course knowing you would eventually catch up needing a back massage from a pretty girl in a Bikini (Ginny Sais Hello) and NO she is not giving away free back rubs;)

Screw the Coffee maker,,,, Anyone got a 12v blender? Ill bring the mixers;) I do have a coffee maker in my set up, so if anyone wants coffee, be sure to bring a Keurig Cup, and I will supply the hot water and Baily's ;)

My Bikini will be pink,,,,,,, so I will be God Damn'ed if anyone else will sport a Pink Matching Bikini!!!!!! ;) It will turn into an episode of "live PD" in a hurry;)

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by EasyDoesIt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Bikinis, Blenders, Baileys and Kerosene, shits get'n weird.. I like it.
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

OK Just got both tanks of N20 refilled..... and they are def. filled with N20 :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rockon: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Bring on Moab :twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
image1-3.jpeg

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm

From the pic it does look like you suck! I hope that bottle is ready! Mike hope your buggy can keep up with the old 1BADPW. My wore out Hemi keeps chugging along. Can't wait to see you guys again and tell lies and drink some cold ones. We got some good people in the group and I think it's gonna be one hell of an adventure!