MOAB 2017 - May 1-7

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: MOAB 2017 - May 1-7

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Pit Slave wrote:Also, got off the phone with Lief, he stated that there is a point at which a group of a certain size will be required to register with the town as an event. We Believe that number is 15.
Actually, that's incorrect. JorDanee called the city hall this morning. "We're technically a group of friends that invited other friends". If we were a sponsored event, we would need a permit, and each sponsor would need an individual permit. This allows clubs and such to use the area, but when an "event" becomes sponsored and such, well then it's doing business and the city wants money. Naturally, the government always wants a cut. :D

We'll be fine this year. :cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Great news then! Glad it's all clear now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

HerBoldAdventure
Model Year: 2014

Post by HerBoldAdventure » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm

T - 7 DAYS

:excited:

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Look what just arrived. :rockon:

Time to sort these things for everyone.

-------
------

frq flyr

Post by frq flyr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Correction: white rim trail wed and thurs. camping wed night at !Murphy's.

See y'all soon!
frq flyr wrote:Super excited about the power wagons in Moab adventure!

Arrive sun around 630pm. Will stay at canyon lands RV park until tues. considering changing to Kens lake

Tuesday, off to white rim trail. Landed a camping spot at murphy's, tues night. Will complete white rim trail on Wed.
There is space available at white rim murphys campground if you want to join. I have 2-spots available. Let me know. Ladies first :cheers:

Wed to Sunday at Kens lake.

Joe

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Frq flyr that campground looks roughly middle of the way through the trail, is that correct? We might be interested in joining you if that's alright? One rig, two people. You said you have all three sites reserved?

Living the good life... Going day by day on Cheez-Its and Coors

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aearles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Just a reminder in case it's a surprise to anyone, dogs are not allowed in Canyonlands backcountry.

None of our planned trails enter the park, but if you're considering White Rim or Elephant Hill, it's important to know. Just thought I'd share.

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/pets.htm
2015 Laramie | 35" KO2's, WKOR Sliders, AEV Diff Covers, ARE Z Series Cap, Viair 450 OBA, Kenwood D710G.
Aaron | Ham: NØMAD

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 pm

The shirts look great! Awesome!!!

frq flyr

Post by frq flyr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 am

I have one site reserved, Murphy B. We are allowed to have 3-cars and up to 15-people.
You are more than welcome!
I would recommend that we caravan! When do you arrive to Moab?
DamageWagon wrote:Frq flyr that campground looks roughly middle of the way through the trail, is that correct? We might be interested in joining you if that's alright? One rig, two people. You said you have all three sites reserved?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 am

Oh you can have a group! Sweet, I thought all sites were individual. We will see what the plan is. We are planning to arrive Sunday and stay the week, but we will see. We might want more time in Death Valley before we head to Moab. Since it seems the harder trails are at the beginning of the week and they get easier, we might want to forego the first few trail days.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am

White Rim would be a lot of fun. There are a couple of two-day routes that would be fun with great views but aren't ideal for an entire group.

We tried to camp at Airport once but some nasty weather chased us away. Still, every time we go to Moab, we end up driving out to the rim. Can never get enough of being there.

6 DAYS AND COUNTING
-------
------

HerBoldAdventure

Post by HerBoldAdventure » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Oh you can have a group! Sweet, I thought all sites were individual. We will see what the plan is. We are planning to arrive Sunday and stay the week, but we will see. We might want more time in Death Valley before we head to Moab. Since it seems the harder trails are at the beginning of the week and they get easier, we might want to forego the first few trail days.

Order of "difficulty" is all in perspective I think. Per the experts, Monday with the Moab Trifecta will be the most challenging trail day, followed by Hell's Revenge as the second. (But I personally think Hell's is cake.) Top of the World comes in third followed by Sevenmile and then Fins.

White Rim has some absolutely amazing scenery unlike any other, but it's bouncy as crap. Expect 100 miles of getting tossed around for two days, max speed 15 mph.

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aearles » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Day 1/Golden Spike, you'll have the option of completing the Poison Spider Mesa loop and exiting back to Potash instead of proceeding to do Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim, I'm sure not everyone will want to run the whole thing, it's a very long day. My plan was to see how I'm feeling at the end of Poison Spider and decide then. I'll probably run the whole thing because it's sort of a "must do" trail for Moab. But of course people can branch off and do their own thing if they want to opt out of a particular trail.

Day 2 is just Fins, tons of fun and really an easy trail, this is probably my favorite trail so far, it's a great introduction to slickrock. We included Potato Salad Hill as the meetup point, but we don't expect anyone to attempt it if they don't want to (I'm not! :-)). Just wanted to give folks an opportunity if they want to show off.
2015 Laramie | 35" KO2's, WKOR Sliders, AEV Diff Covers, ARE Z Series Cap, Viair 450 OBA, Kenwood D710G.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm

My concerns are based solely off of

- we have a camper. Our CoG is higher and I don't want to tip over.
- my approach angle isn't the best with the huge bumper. I could potentially unbolt the bumper at the campground and put it on a week later, but I'm not so happy with that idea.

If the trails are all doable without a big rollover danger, we would do them. I'm not familiar with these trails so I don't want to get four hours deep in something and then find we can't safely drive on a side slope or crawl through a tipsy section.

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aearles » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:36 pm

That makes sense, have you finished the camper, assume you're on the road already? Any possibility of offloading the camper at camp during trail days, or is it not built for that? I'm excited to see it!

Fins doesn't have much off camber, nothing I'd be concerned about. I have not run Poison Spider/Golden Spike so I can't speak to that one. Seven Mile Rim has an "obstacle" called Tippy Dome at the end that I was uncomfortable with but probably not dangerous even with the camper, either way there is a bypass that's less tippy. Hell's has a couple of off camber areas, but I can't think of anything I'd be concerned about. I have not run Top of the World yet.

Approximately how heavy is your camper you think? Everything I've done has been on a stock suspension with 35s and a 200lb cap on the back, for some reference. I did Hells and Fins with the stock 33's on last year.

As for the bumper... I've dragged my stock bumper (with no plastic valance) on Fins, Hells, and Seven Mile.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:21 pm

The camper is almost complete. We haven't left yet. Girlfriend is packing and I'm finishing up the final touches. We will leave tomorrow morning.

Camper probably weighs in around 300lbs, plus cabinet, water tank and all our gear for two months it still handles pretty nicely with no sway bar! We cannot ditch the camper, it isn't its own house like the usual ones.

I'll discuss trails with the other half and see what we want to do. I do really want to do White Rim but that is during the trails that sound fun....

2011bigred

Post by 2011bigred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:10 pm

well i made the dumb choice of adding more to my plate just ordered rock lights and rear lights and am going to be making the blacked out look permanent yay crunch week

HerBoldAdventure

Post by HerBoldAdventure » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

DamageWagon wrote:The camper is almost complete. We haven't left yet. Girlfriend is packing and I'm finishing up the final touches. We will leave tomorrow morning.

Camper probably weighs in around 300lbs, plus cabinet, water tank and all our gear for two months Image it still handles pretty nicely with no sway bar! We cannot ditch the camper, it isn't its own house like the usual ones.

I'll discuss trails with the other half and see what we want to do. I do really want to do White Rim but that is during the trails that sound fun....

Our longer wheelbases give us a great advantage on the selected trails. Where Jeeps and short wheelbase vehicles have issues, we just roll up and over with great stability. None of the selected trails have mandatory tip-over prone tracks. Instead those are optional obstacles, like the washtub and tip-over point on Hell's or the optional "Where Eagle's Dare" off of the Spike. I'd be more concerned about the bumper and approach angles. If you do decide to take it off, bring a chain and some locks. You can secure it to the frame of our Airstream if you would like.

We've camped/boondocked all around Moab, and the crime rate is stupidly low. Less than 100 burglaries and thefts in all of 2016. Moab itself is pretty much crime-free from the locals, and a good chunk of the folks that come to Moab are like-minded, decent individuals. They might be dicks on the trail on occasion, but they aren't going to try to steal something.

And *if* a certain piece of equipment arrives tomorrow and *if* we get it installed tomorrow, we've got your spare. ;)

Side note, Mike and I have run most of Poison Spider, all of Top of the World, and Hell's and part of Fins on stock 33s worn to 31s and without sliders (and a bunch others we aren't running this event). We plan to run Sevenmile on Saturday to get familiar with it, and Aaron has run the entirety of Fins. Chris (PitSlave) has done the Moab Trifecta and others, and I've talked to a few Jeep friends who know the Trifecta well. I honestly think you will be fine, even with the camper. Just don't drive off the tracks on the slick rock. ;) And at any point you're just over it, there are options to turn back around or avoid all the obstacles. We've got your back! :patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:33 pm

That's very nice to hear, I'm glad the trails don't sound as sketchy. Up/downhill and really crawly stuff I don't care about, I just prefer the vehicle to stand on the tread of the tires instead of the sidewalk of two of them I'm not worried about someone stealing my bumper haha... I need a tube bumper anyhow.

If said certain piece of equipment shows up I would be happy to help you install it if you need help. I'll have my 3/4" drive set with me.

Thanks!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm

I haven't had a chance to read this but I thought T might be interesting.

https://expeditionportal.com/white-rim-in-a-day/

frq flyr

Post by frq flyr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 am

Looks like we have perfect weather

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

Looks like it will be a little bit cooler this year. Perfect weather if you ask me. Couldn't ask for more.

Well, I guess we could all ask to win the lottery. :lol:

Can't wait to see you guys there. Is it Friday yet?
-------
------

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

But first... Image

aearles
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by aearles » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Ha, it's been chilly in Moab the last few days, and cold at night. Good timing for it to turn around though!

We did Death Valley in November and it was amazing, I can't deal with those 100's lol.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 pm

QUICK! Does anyone want a FREE set of snow chains? We are leaving in a few hours and will take them with us to Moab if someone wants them. Bought them for my old truck and never used them, brand new just test fit them once. They fit 265/76R16 perfectly. Probably won't fit a Power Wagons tired but maybe another vehicle you own. PM me.

ImageImage