CASNER MT. TRAIL #8, Sedona to Williams, AZ.

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
Cactus Red

CASNER MT. TRAIL #8, Sedona to Williams, AZ.

Post by Cactus Red » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 pm

As featured in Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility a few years ago, http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/1403- ... ain-trail/, I'll be leading a trip over it again this year. It is perhaps the most scenic trail in AZ with spectacular views of the Red Rock formations in both Sycamore Canyon and Secret Mountain Wilderness areas. In the article we were in our JKUR, but I've also had the PW over the trail as well with no problems.

This is a special use permit that allows a minimum of 3 and no more than 10 vehicles, and 25 max people. It usually takes me a few hours to fill this via other web wheelin' sites, but..

I'd like to do it with you guys and gals this year. A PW only trip!

So, I'm opening it up for suggestions for possible Saturday only dates in June, prior to the monsoon season. Lunch is on the trail, Dinner is in Williams at the Rt. 66 Grill. This is a family friendly trip - spouses and kids are welcome.

I need to submit this to the District Recreation Ranger pretty quickly!

Mark
I'm just along for the ride...

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: CASNER MT. TRAIL #8, Sedona to Williams, AZ.

Post by RustyPW » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Once I retire next year. Sign me up. :mrgreen:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by chrisjameswagner » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 pm

I could be in depending on final dates. would love to do the trail and then camping coming from So. Cal.
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Camping over is a great option. This is west of last years fire that burned out the overlook we were at a couple years ago, so it's still in the pines once up on top.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:08 pm

With no other input, I'll be selecting a date by Monday, and if there is no more interest in this here, will be opening it up on the Expo on Monday as well.

Chris, do you have a preference? I generally go in early June to avoid the inevitable closures and restrictions that go into place before the rains come in July. I'm even open to late May. Earliest available is May 16th, but that's the weekend of the Expo in Flagstaff.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 pm

13 June 15 is the date. Already have 4 spots filled, so if anyone else is interested, let me know. It is open to anyone at this point.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by Takingatrip1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 am

Id like to go....going to check my work vacation schedule but im 90%
Price is soon forgotten , Quality is not

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 am

Cool! I'll keep a spot open, and will send you an email to add you to the group.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Takingatrip1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Inked the days 1 wagon 2 people

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Awesome! Might I suggest staying in Williams on Sat nite, or camping up there? I'll send you the complete details for meeting up in the morning soon. Will you be camping or hoteling it?

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Takingatrip1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

We are open to camping or hotel. I might want to bring my tent trailer and park it at a campgrounds (we will be in the area for a few days after the run). camping or hotel in Williams after the run works. I wouldn't mind getting out by Mormon lake where the overland expo is (we'll be going to that too but probably staying in flag then. ) Im pretty much up for whatever the group is doing.

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:29 pm

We'll be day trip'n. The logistics of parking a trailer are doable - we'd planned that last year. It does require a very early start to get down to the meeting point in the morning. Mormon Lake is a long way from Sedona. We've got time to suggest other opportunities.

Mark

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Takingatrip1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Im good with whatever works for the group. Im just glad to get a chance to get back to northern AZ and the opportunity to see some areas I wouldn't normally get to . Thanks for putting this together !

Jeff

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Cactus Red wrote:With no other input, I'll be selecting a date by Monday, and if there is no more interest in this here, will be opening it up on the Expo on Monday as well.

Chris, do you have a preference? I generally go in early June to avoid the inevitable closures and restrictions that go into place before the rains come in July. I'm even open to late May. Earliest available is May 16th, but that's the weekend of the Expo in Flagstaff.
Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from a 3 day on Papoose Flats in the Inyo's. Was beautiful and weather was perfect. The dates you posted fro June are good. I'll get the time away.

Thanks.
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks!

The detail planning for this will be via email. The initial group one will go out soon, so if you guys will PM your contact info to me, I'll get things started. As of now, we are at 8 vehicles.

Mark

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 am

Takingatrip1 wrote:We are open to camping or hotel. I might want to bring my tent trailer and park it at a campgrounds (we will be in the area for a few days after the run). camping or hotel in Williams after the run works. I wouldn't mind getting out by Mormon lake where the overland expo is (we'll be going to that too but probably staying in flag then. ) Im pretty much up for whatever the group is doing.
Hey Taking,

I see you're in So. Cal. as well. If you're open to it, we could caravan out there together. I too am looking to camp either the day before the run, the day after, or both. If my wife joins I'll tow my popup tent trailer, if she doesn't I'll sleep in the truck.

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Takingatrip1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Sounds like a plan... Tent trailer here also but not sure if we will take it. I'll know the details a couple weeks from the event

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 am

Our plan last year was to park our trailer off FR-535 and Hwy 89A north of Sedona, then come down to the meeting point in the morning. That requires an early start to the day, but with sunrise about 5:30, that's not too difficult. I don't know if that's an option due to the Slide Fire last year that burned thru the canyon. It also cancelled last years Casner trip.

Edit: I had the wrong FR number - corrected to FR-535. I will get up there after the winter closures are lifted and see if that's still a viable option.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

Takingatrip1
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Takingatrip1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks Mark

'11 Powerwagon
'11 FWC Hawk Camper

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Sun May 31, 2015 11:38 pm

Looking forward to the trip.

Is anyone planning on camping close to the meet up spot Friday night? I'm coming in from So Cal and will be arriving sometime Friday evening. Let me know if anyone would like any company otherwise I may park it at the Dead Horse State Campground once I arrive.

Chris

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 pm

We came out via FR 535 today. That's a lot farther fromt the meeting point, but easily 15 degs cooler. FR 535 is the first road north above the top of Oak Creek Canyon. Are you coming in via I-10 or I-40?

Dennis Miller "You can't order black coffee anymore. It's un-creamed..."

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 am

I'll be coming in through the 10 and shooting up the 17 to 260 to the 89

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm

OK, then the Dead Horse area is a lot more accessible for you. It'll be warm, but it does cool down later in the evening.

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by chrisjameswagner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks Mark.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Many thanks to Chris and Jeff for making the trip out, it was great to meet you all. Quality people make the trip!

As is typical for me when leading trails, I didn't take many photos. The 8 mile portion trail that requires a permit was super scenic. We were very lucky dodging thunderstorms all afternoon - we were surrounded by the big boomers, but only got a sprinkle when airing up. After dinner in Williams, we headed home via another 60 miles of dirt, stopping at JD Dam along the way - got in about 9:45 PM. Long day of wheelin, used 17 gallons of gas at 9.3 MPG while aired down.

Mark
Attachments
Sycamore Canyon.jpg
End of the locked access.jpg
JD Dam.jpg