HUGE NEWS!!!!! NEED YOUR VOTES>>> Ultimate Adventure

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: HUGE NEWS!!!!! NEED YOUR VOTES>>> Ultimate Adventure

Post by cruz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 pm

gsbbear wrote: And Dusy-Ershim among others.
That's one hell of a trail. :notworthy: :rockon:
2005 Power Wagon

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Scott, Pleasure to meet you. I am Michael. I like your ideas on the rig. Please post some pictures on your build thread of the back seat set up, That is a GREAT idea. Really love your concept on this build. I will keep fingers crossed about the UA.

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:25 am

gsbbear wrote:Yeah, I'm well aware of the limitations of my rig. Like I told Luke, what I am trying to build is a truck that can do 70-80 percent of the stuff out there. There just are places it can't go due to it's size and that is fine. I grew up in SoCal and have done the Rubicon dozens of times. And Dusy-Ershim among others. But I always had Land Cruisers. And while the Rubicon itself is now only a tame version of what it was 30 years ago (they have really changed it A LOT in three decades) it is still something that would be tough, if not impossible, for a long wheelbase. I did do it once in a K5 Blazer! As for MOAB, the same goes for it as said above for the Rubicon. There are just places I won't be able to go.

All that said, my whole idea for this rig is to be able to drive there (comfortably) do most of places like that and then drive back. One of the reasons I chose the crew cab PW was specifically for the rear seat. I hate RTT's or anything else mounted on the roof or up high. So, what I did with this truck is remove the rear seat and we are building an indoor/outdoor fabric covered bed platform with storage underneath. I can comfortably sleep in the cab complete with my CPAP machine and all. It will be away slick set-up. Complete with dual 300-watt inverters so the truck itself is the generator. I will be able to run an electric hot plate for cooking etc., as well as, charge all my dog collars and electric chainsaw batteries while driving.

Basically it will be an expedition vehicle but with some MAD SKILLS in bad terrain! Carnage just comes with the territory and I have no fear of it! That's one of the reasons for the ballistic glass. Not only to prevent people and bears from getting in the cab, but also to prevent the windows from shattering when "kissed" by trail debris! LOL. I'm very much a "function over form" person!

Even if we don't get to wheel together at the UA I will still want to hook up with you (and 05PWrockcrawler) to do some more tough wheeling with out Wagon's! And anyone else who want's to give it a shot!

DUDE! WE'VE BOTH GOT TO MAKE IT IN!! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

By the way, my name is Scott! Good to meet you!
Where have you been hiding this rig!!!!! Can't wait to see pics. Would love to get together and wheel sometimes. Like I said the UA is the ultimate event for wheelers with street legal rigs and is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wish you both the best of luck getting in. I am positive one of you will make it so we will have someone to watch and cheer for. We will have to get together and do some wheeling for sure and I am not scared of body damage either so we would have a blast. Wish you guys the best of luck and will be watching closely. Now post some damn pics lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

THanks 05,,, it seems we have been talking about getting together for about 2 years now, I am sure it will happen soon.

Ever since I finished that big cross country trip hitting all the trails out west, I decided to store it in Cali and fly home... My rig is still being stored in San Diego. I flew out to San Diego to take it to the King of the Hammers event about 6 weeks ago. IT WAS A BLAST>>>> Def, worth attending... I am flying back out to San Diego to pick it up to surf the Baja pennisula for a month on May 13nd with my son. Should be back in Florida (with the rig) on June 12th. If I get accepted to the UA event, I will have a couple weeks to go through the rig, Slap the new set of 42's on her, and let her eat during the event.

Depending on where the event is being run (UA) I am prob. going to tow it behind the Diesel pusher in the trailer to the event, then drive the rig during the event,,,,,then put it back in the trailer and tow it back to Florida. If I get accepted.

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 pm

I like that plan. Have fun. What do you need to change to fit the 42" tires?

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:47 pm

I already cut the lower door sills at a 45 degree angle and welded a plate to the inside. the A-pillar has also been cut (lower section) to fit the 40's those items needed to be done regardless, even moving the front axle forward 2", I still needed to cut the door and the lower A-pillar to be able to flex the 40's with NO RUB WHAT-SO-EVER. I hate rubbing tires with a passion. After looking at the truck at full flex, and full turn of the steering after the mods, I got Just enough room to make the 42's fit. I would say that I need to ad a longer bump stop to the front suspension to stop a little upward axle travel, so not to tear off my air box, and a few other items... But other than that, I am sure they will fit... 40" MTR Kevlars NEW measure out at a true 40 1/2" tall (not the bullshit Super swamper measurements that are always an inch off the described tire height) and the 42" MTR's measure at a true 42 1/2" BIG ASS TIRES!!!!!!!!! lol

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by BANGG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:28 am

Again Michael, your rig is BAAADASSSSS! I haven't been hiding 05PWRC. I just feel like a "show off" when I do this. I'm a pretty humble guy and don't like the limelight or "showing off"! I don't build rig's to one-up other's or to show off in magazine's etc. I build them for using and for what I need. Probably the same reason I don't mount any of the animals I hunt either. I just take a picture and eat them. LOL. I went to New Zealand a couple years ago and got some really nice trophies. My friend who went with me talked me into getting them mounted. They are sitting in my storage unit still in the giant crate they were shipped here in from new Zealand. I've never even opened it to look at them. LOL. Same thing with my elephant ivory and cape buffalo. In fact, those are the only two trophies I even brought back from Africa.

I honestly don't think my truck is any better then anyone else's. Even a bone stock truck. I think the best rig in the world is the one a person owns and appreciates no matter what they have or have done to it! Whether it be a BADASS rig like yours or Gun's, or someone's Suzuki Samurai!! I've always said the best rig is the one that does what you want it to and get's you where you want to go AND BACK!!! It doesn't matter what it is! Really for me it's all about the adventure and the people you are with if in a group. A capable rig is great. However, it's the company you are with that makes the adventure. In my case I spend most of my time solo, so my dog's are my "company" and they always make the adventure better!

Crap! I sound like a self-righteous metro-sexual don't I? Great!! Se what happens when you get on the internet and start talking!!

I am also not a big fan of the internet or social media. So I don't spend a lot of time on it. Regardless I'm here now and will try to keep up with you computer masters. I am going to post some pics over on the build thread. We got it on the 40's yesterday!
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog's"
"Public lands means public access"
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

HUGE NEWS!!!!! NEED YOUR VOTES>>> Ultimate Adventure

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 pm

No 40" tires on PW's and now 2 in a month lol. I agree memories and fun times are all about the company you keep (human or animals) my truck is built specifically for my needs, likes, tastes, and driving styles. It is purpose built for me and what I like to do. I sold my buggy so I can take all my kids wheeling with me with a crew cab and be comfortable. I like being different and not wheeling something you see on the regular. I want it capable, street manners (want to drive to and from the trail and at a decent speed) haul all my gear, friends, family, dogs, etc. The 40" tires are only on it to keep up with my buddies with buggies, jeeps and rock crawlers and need the extra clearance with the long wheel base to make it up the same trails as them as I wheel on the regular with my friends. Love the outdoors and hanging out with like minded people. I hate to break but when I do I have a great attitude and just say shit happens and laugh about it and have another story to tell. As long as you have a good time that's what it is all about. Nothing is unbreakable (just tougher than stock lol) when I do break I replace it with the best parts I can get and afford at that time. Have a ton of things I want to do to my truck that will still take a few years to get done, shit who am I kidding I will never be done modifying my truck. I like seeing how everyone builds there trucks and modifies them to there tastes. And different people have different ideas and taste, to each their own, that may be liked or disliked. Just enjoy your rig and have fun. You two guys have some nice rigs and enjoy the builds. I love Guns driving style and way of thinking because I think he's a lot like me. I drive the shit out of mine, not scared to try hardly anything, love horsepower (damn I can't wait to stroke mine!) and drinking some cold beer after a day of wheeling and camping with my buddies. I wish you both luck in getting in and will be routing for you both. Have one hell of a time and enjoy every minute if it. Chance and memories of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 pm

THE FINALISTS ARE FINALLY ON THE SITE>>>>> http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-adv ... pplicants/

I did not see gsbear's rig on the finalist list???? did they miss something..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! Post as many comments about the Dodge ram (only if you really would like to see a Ram go out and tear it up on the UA) Please post comments as they don't allow voting.... the more comments we get the better odds we have of getting accepted... Please take the time to post your comments of the above link...

THanks so much for your time... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

bajaben48
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by bajaben48 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 pm

Voted you both in. Praying that you both make it.

sent from a deep hole know only fabels
Ben
Us Army EOD

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 am

gsbear... you need to contact the UA ..... they forgot to put your pictures up on the site above your description.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am

HELP!!

Guy's, they posted the final 12 applicant's on the Ultimate Adventure website. Now is the time to start blogging for me AND Michael! I'm working on getting a picture to them today! I don't know why my pictures didn't get up!! UGGHH!!

WE have got to make it Michael. Southeast and Northwest! Awesome Power Wagons! Carnage lovers! Adventure lovers! Surfers!

Thanks, Scott

http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-adv ... pplicants/
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:49 am

If you click on the "view photo gallery" under any of the ones shown and scroll through them, your pictures are in there. Starting on page 4 photo number 39.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-adv ... o-gallery/
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27 pm

UGGHH!! I wish they'd get my pictures up already! I need some love on there! LOL
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am

Posted for you guys. Yeah I think no pictures is going to hurt your chances. Michael your real live wheeling pics are looking good and I think you will be in the top 6 for sure. Probably the Toyota and a Scout for sure. But we will see. Everyone else get on there and support these guys.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 pm

THanks man.... I appreciate all that everyone is doing... I hope I get it... I am in need of a co-pilot (if I get in the top 6) , EVERYONE that I talk too, cant go on those dates (too short of notice) all my friends have young families, and just cant go... GSBEAR(if you dont get the top 6)??? 05 ???? you guys up for a co-pilot seat if this happens

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Gun I'm getting in! I just know it! LOL. Actually if they don't get my pictures up soon I am sunk. I don't know what is going on there. Supposedly they are getting done. Yes, I could co-pilot for you! Can't wait to see what happens with us!!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:12 pm

I can't co-pilot but I sure want to. I am going to Moab June 27-July 2 then July 2-5 in Ouray Colorado. But otherwise I would be there for sure. Damn my luck. I hope you both get in.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 pm

GSBEAR.... I hope we both do,,, BUT here is how I figure it... If you look at the selection of finalists ( (2) Jeeps (2) Toyotas (2) Chevrolet blazers (2) International Harvesters (2) Ford Broncos (2) Powerwagons """"12 total"""" SO they have to pick 6...... THERE IS A REASON THEY DID THIS>>>>

I know that they are going to pick 1 of each brands of trucks that are the finalists.... So 1 jeep 1 toyota 1 ford etc etc.etc. we all can simply see the logic with their choices... It is plain as day.... ultimately, it is not done by a voting process, it is simply chosen by the UA board. I think they make their choices by May 1st... Whoever gets it, I will just be happy to see a powerwagon get-it-done out there... If I dont get it, I will look forward to reading the magazine, and will be rooting you on ALL THE WAY>>>> If I get it, I need a damn co-pilot, and it would ONLY be right to invite you to the event. :D :D :D

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Very interesting observation Michael. I had not noticed that. Either way a Wagon should be in there. Obviously yours is better set-up for this type of event. Mine is more of a 4 week model! LOL. I have no problem with you going with anyone else as I have plans for you regardless! LOL. After having met you and Crawler on here and listening to your respective perspectives on "wheeling" there is a "trip" I am going to talk to you two about. It is something I'd like brought up off a public website as keeping it secret for now is best. I don't want to attract too many enviro-wackos just yet. I will screw with their heads when the time is right! LOL. Don't worry it is for 2016 so there is time to talk and plan. It will take SIGNIFICANT planning and logistics hence why myself and the others are already starting the talking!

P.S. I found out why my pics aren't up. They are gone from the office right now and didn't have them when they developed the page. They are going to correct it!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

YES, I kinda studied who they excepted as the final 12, then looked at the "pattern" they chose for the final 12, and I think my observations are correct about only choosing 1,,, of the specific brands to attend. unfortun. this basically tells me that there will only be 1 Powerwagon going. DAMN I WISH WE COULD BOTH GO,,,,BUT Mr. Pewe did state that they always have 1 finalist back out of the final, because of "distance" or other issues that come up with the travels, and that leaves one of the non chosen of the final 12 the second (last minute) chance to attend. Regardless of who gets it, I will be stoked to see a Powerwagon going to the UA event.. I like the sounds of this 2016 trip:):):):):) I have NO plans for 2016 .... Do tell ,,, do tell..... if you have any info, please forward it to my email michael.sutherlin@gmail.com

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 am

Sent Mr. Sutherlin
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Interesting! Well it's going to be the event to watch this year anyways. I will be buying the DVD for the event this year with a Power Wagon in it that may never happen again.

BANGG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BANGG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I've heard from credible sources this may in fact be the last year they hold the UA!
2011 Ram Hazzard Wagon

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 pm

gsbbear wrote:I've heard from credible sources this may in fact be the last year they hold the UA!
What?!?!?!?!? That would really suck!!! The UA is my favourite off road event of the year. I always love reading the magazine and watching the videos. I would sure miss it.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!