Michigan wheeling places?

Wheeling trips, camping trips, meet-ups, a night out boozing, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Countryman93
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Rochester,IN

Michigan wheeling places?

Post by Countryman93 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 pm

does anyone know of anyplaces to wheel up in Michigan? we are planning a trip up there for alittle get away before the twins come and I was thinking it would be fun to take the truck.
05 Dodge Powerwagon

315/70/17 Hancook ATMS on 17x8 black rock series wheels
bully dog gt tuner, high performance injectors, K&N intake
straight pipe exhaust, 5% tint front and sides with 20% rear
cobra cb with 4ft firesticks

User avatar
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 pm

What part of Michigan? There's not much in the lower half, but up north there's some great logging roads. The areas around Mio and Atlanta have some good wheeling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

User avatar
Countryman93
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Rochester,IN

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by Countryman93 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm

we aren't sure lol we can get a lot more choices in cabins the farther north we go
05 Dodge Powerwagon

315/70/17 Hancook ATMS on 17x8 black rock series wheels
bully dog gt tuner, high performance injectors, K&N intake
straight pipe exhaust, 5% tint front and sides with 20% rear
cobra cb with 4ft firesticks

User avatar
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:03 am

I grew up in Michigan and lived there until I was 21. I've lived in Arizona now for the last 11 years. Wheeling in Michigan mainly consists of logging roads. The southern part of the lower peninsula is mainly flat, so unless you're into mudding it's not that great. The northern part of the lower peninsula has a lot of great trails and more terrain. The upper peninsula is good too, but more remote. We've owned cabins in Mio, Atlanta, and Ironwood. All good areas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

fyrfytr704
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 pm
Model Year: 2008

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by fyrfytr704 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 am

Countryman93 wrote:does anyone know of anyplaces to wheel up in Michigan? we are planning a trip up there for alittle get away before the twins come and I was thinking it would be fun to take the truck.
Here are a couple of places that I know of to go. I haven't been out to any of them with the PW, yet, but am looking for an excuse to go:

http://twistedtrailsoffroadpark.com/

http://www.bundyhilloffroad.com/

http://www.themounds.org/

I know a few people up in MI who know of some backwoods trials (which I prefer), but I am not sure where they're at. I am guessing that they're probably old logging roads.
2008 PW - stock with the exception of CAI, Superchips tune, LED tail lights, bed liner, tonneau cover, bed rug, swing case, and a black magic e-fan with override switch (for now). Now accepting donations for lift and tires!

User avatar
stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Model Year: 2007
Location: Greenville, NC

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by stamm20 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am

Ive been to the mounds with the wagon a lot of mud and a few rock gardens. You got silver lake sand dunes and in the northern lower peninsula there is a lot of trails. I've wheeled the trails around Bull Gap a few its nothing real extreme, but fun and theres a bunch of campgrounds that connect to the trails.
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect



Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

User avatar
whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 am
Model Year: 2006
Location: Durham, North Carolina

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by whitey » Thu May 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Isn't there a huge sand dune area at the very top? I'm from Indiana and have seen many sand rails built to go up there.

User avatar
stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Model Year: 2007
Location: Greenville, NC

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by stamm20 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 pm

whitey wrote:Isn't there a huge sand dune area at the very top? I'm from Indiana and have seen many sand rails built to go up there.
Theres a huge dune on lake MI calle Silver lake sand dunes never made it out there but heard it was awesome!
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect



Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

User avatar
Skyd Ram
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by Skyd Ram » Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 am

Like others have mentioned you have the following the Lower Peninsula:

Bundy Hill
The Mounds
Twisted Trails
Rocks and Valleys
Silver Lake Sand Dunes

There are also a lot of random trails up in the Mio/Lewiston/Atlanta area as well as over by Grayling.

Another great place to go is out on Drummond Island. They have a bunch of public trails as well as a designated off road park (Turtle Ridge). It's super beautiful and there are quite a bit of motel, cabin, and camping options.

User avatar
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Fri May 09, 2014 11:43 am

Skyd Ram wrote:Like others have mentioned you have the following the Lower Peninsula:

Bundy Hill
The Mounds
Twisted Trails
Rocks and Valleys
Silver Lake Sand Dunes

There are also a lot of random trails up in the Mio/Lewiston/Atlanta area as well as over by Grayling.

Another great place to go is out on Drummond Island. They have a bunch of public trails as well as a designated off road park (Turtle Ridge). It's super beautiful and there are quite a bit of motel, cabin, and camping options.
My family has cabins in both Mio and Atlanta. There are some great logging roads in those areas. I grew up in Michigan and we went up to Atlanta every year for deer camp. Good memories and good wheeling!


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

User avatar
Skyd Ram
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by Skyd Ram » Fri May 09, 2014 6:05 pm

SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:
Skyd Ram wrote:Like others have mentioned you have the following the Lower Peninsula:

Bundy Hill
The Mounds
Twisted Trails
Rocks and Valleys
Silver Lake Sand Dunes

There are also a lot of random trails up in the Mio/Lewiston/Atlanta area as well as over by Grayling.

Another great place to go is out on Drummond Island. They have a bunch of public trails as well as a designated off road park (Turtle Ridge). It's super beautiful and there are quite a bit of motel, cabin, and camping options.
My family has cabins in both Mio and Atlanta. There are some great logging roads in those areas. I grew up in Michigan and we went up to Atlanta every year for deer camp. Good memories and good wheeling!


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
Cool,
We recently moved up to Traverse City but we still have a little cabin over in Lewiston between Atlanta and Mio. In addition to logging roads there are a lot of gas well service roads and power lines to explore.

User avatar
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Fri May 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Skyd Ram wrote:
SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:
Skyd Ram wrote:Like others have mentioned you have the following the Lower Peninsula:

Bundy Hill
The Mounds
Twisted Trails
Rocks and Valleys
Silver Lake Sand Dunes

There are also a lot of random trails up in the Mio/Lewiston/Atlanta area as well as over by Grayling.

Another great place to go is out on Drummond Island. They have a bunch of public trails as well as a designated off road park (Turtle Ridge). It's super beautiful and there are quite a bit of motel, cabin, and camping options.
My family has cabins in both Mio and Atlanta. There are some great logging roads in those areas. I grew up in Michigan and we went up to Atlanta every year for deer camp. Good memories and good wheeling!


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
Cool,
We recently moved up to Traverse City but we still have a little cabin over in Lewiston between Atlanta and Mio. In addition to logging roads there are a lot of gas well service roads and power lines to explore.
I couldn't agree more. It's beautiful up there. Especially in the fall when the leaves change colors. I miss Michigan at times, but Arizona has so much more to offer. I'll take four months of brutal heat in the summer over eight months of deep winter any day. I originally moved out here for college, but stayed when I experienced all AZ has to offer. I'm still a farm boy from Richmond, MI, but AZ is my home!


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

User avatar
stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Model Year: 2007
Location: Greenville, NC

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by stamm20 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:41 pm

^^^^^^^^^^ same here I moved down to north an south carolina right of high school I miss the hell out of MI except the salt and the cold!!!! MI deff has the best summers and fall!!
heres some pic from bull gap which is part of the Mio trail system
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

This was the first time I went up the hill hit it a little to fast hahaha
[Videohttp://youtu.be/2cQEAlV_Mps][/Video]
Heres a clip of the trail system
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect



Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

User avatar
Skyd Ram
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by Skyd Ram » Sat May 17, 2014 11:12 pm

SheepdogOutdoorsman wrote:
I couldn't agree more. It's beautiful up there. Especially in the fall when the leaves change colors. I miss Michigan at times, but Arizona has so much more to offer. I'll take four months of brutal heat in the summer over eight months of deep winter any day. I originally moved out here for college, but stayed when I experienced all AZ has to offer. I'm still a farm boy from Richmond, MI, but AZ is my home!


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
I know Richmond well as we just moved from 26 mile and Romeo Plank!

Most of southern MI is pretty lackluster if you are into outdoors but NW MI is where it's at. We live about 10 minutes NW of downtown Traverse City and I couldn't think of a place that I would rather live year round than here. I've traveled most of the country many times over for work and play and although there are many places that are awesome to visit in certain seasons and for certain activities they either don't offer much in diversity on the seasons or the off-season time is pretty boring. This area meets pretty much all of our needs and wants. Up here we don't bother with salt very much so the winters aren't as bad on vehicles and it's a white snowy winter (although cold) as opposed to that white/brown/white/gray/white/salty/rainy type of winter that we get in southern MI. You really have to embrace winter with some cool activities and dressing for the weather makes it far more enjoyable. My motto has always been that you can always add a layer as it gets colder but there isn't anything that you can take off that will make you feel comfortable when it starts to get over 90.

What does everyone do out there for the 4 months that it is 100+?

When it gets cold here we just change up our form of off roading. All of these pics were taken in the last 1.5 months:


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The Last Ride of the Season. May riding in the Upper Peninsula in a t-shirt!

Image

User avatar
SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Michigan wheeling places?

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm

100+ is pool weather out here in AZ ... We pretty much spend all our free time at the lakes or in our swimming pool. For the most part though our summers are equivalent to everyone else's winter. That's when we hibernate. But, 4+ months of brutal heat beats 8+ months of brutal cold. We really only have three seasons here. Summer, Fall, and Spring. We basically have 8 months of what I used to call summer in Michigan. In the end anywhere you go has upsides and downsides. I personally feel there are less downsides to AZ over MI, but that's personal preference. I still love my home state, but it's a little too blue for my liking anymore. Both politically and psychologically.


Sent from my Tandy 1000 using AOL Online
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

Post Reply