Alarm System Thoughts?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Alarm System Thoughts?

Post by Ducky's Dad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 am

My old GMC was broken into a couple of days ago and the perp got me for about $2K worth of tools and miscellaneous stuff. No forced entry so no damage to the truck, but he also got my spare keys and knows where the truck lives. Turns out GM trucks are very easy to get into with a slim jim or a jiggler, five seconds for somebody who knows what he's doing, and no noise. So, even though I have had all the locks on that truck re-keyed, he can easily get in again. Thus, it's time to put an alarm in the old beast. If I like the alarm, I'll probably do the same thing in the PW. I do not like alarms and all the issues that they have had in the past (falsing, failure to start the truck, sensitivity changes as the weather changes, etc.), but I don't really have much choice at this point. This hit looks like it was done by a pro, not by a tweaker or a neighborhood delinquent.

So the question to you guys is: What do you think about Viper vs Prestige alarm systems? Today's discussions with a couple of lock shops and a couple of alarm installers indicates that those are the most reliable and value-oriented alarms in the Southern California market, and both have easily adjustable sensitivity and "valet" overrides if the computer craps out. Both can be over-ridden with the truck key if the remote fob is lost or damaged (think "submerged in muddy water")), and both can include the cab and the cargo area under the shell with both door pins and impact sensors. The Viper is a bit more expensive but the consensus seems to be that there is a premium for the Viper name and that the Prestige is just as good. Anybody with direct experience with either system? Other budget-oriented suggestions to explore? And yes, I will be keeping a .357 and a speed loader handy, but I can't really carry them in the truck in CA.

Countryman93
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Alarm System Thoughts?

Post by Countryman93 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:26 am

my fiances grand cherokee has a viper alarm system in it, (because we have about a $1000 stereo system) we love it, really easy to use, and very loud. we had it installled at a shop, pricy but worth it
05 Dodge Powerwagon

315/70/17 Hancook ATMS on 17x8 black rock series wheels
bully dog gt tuner, high performance injectors, K&N intake
straight pipe exhaust, 5% tint front and sides with 20% rear
cobra cb with 4ft firesticks

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Got the alarm installed today in the GMC. Went with Code by AudioVox, based upon the shop owner's recommendations. My research revealed that asking guys about alarm systems is like asking them whether they prefer Dodge, Furd, or Chevy trucks, hard to get a definitive answer. Cost was $400 for a fairly basic system with pins in both front cab doors, a pin in the door to the shell, the standard impact sensor, and two extra piezo horns so that if a perp disables the primary horn he still has to find two others to quiet the system. By the time he finds and disables all three horns, he's close to becoming part of history.

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by fbenross » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm

just some info...I saw a TV show where they got a couple of pro car theifs to try and steel a car they had set up with 3 different anti theft devices. Audibil alarm. the club on the steering wheel and last a hidden engine kill switch. One guy opened the door and poped the hood the second guy ripped out the siren wires in about 2 seconds. The first guy cut through the steering wheel with a hack saw and had the club off in another 5 seconds. They then searched for the hidden kill switch and weren't able to find it. It's tuff if you have to leave tools in your work truck. A good secure job box might be the solution as far as your tools go. Wouldn't you like to catch those ass holes in the act. :lockedandloaded:
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

06powerwagon06
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 06powerwagon06 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 pm

I went with the simple kill switch (for a lack of better name) It isn't an actual kill switch that will shut down the PW while it's running. It very basic and simple. Just a switch in line with the ignition wire in the steering column. When off, the PW will not start, when on, starts like normal. No side effects and only cost $10 for the switch. No one knows where the switch is but me and almost impossible to find. One of the best mods I've ever done!!
'06 Black Power Wagon, Quad Cab, Heated Leather, 4" Boss Bars nerf bars, Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Smoked clearance lights, Tool Box, Recovery gear, Carli Front Diff Guard, Rockcrusher Rear Diff Cover, 60" Hi Lift Jack-Mounted in Tool Box, Bed Liner'd Front & Rear Bumpers, Rockers and Grill, "T" Steering Upgrade, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Kill Switch, 2-6" Aux. Lights Behind Grill, Back Up Lights, Wheel Well Liners, 315/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Airflow Snorkel, Rock Rails fabbed by me, Borgeson Steering Shaft, etc..[/size]

Rausch Creek Spring '12

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Wouldn't you like to catch those ass holes in the act.
Absoleffinglutely.

A kill switch would not have saved the tools or the other stuff they got out of the cab (cash, keys, binoculars, flashlights, sunglasses, multi-tools, knives, first aid kit, cell phone headset and charger, etc.). There is just an amazing amount of stuff that accumulates in the cab over time that just doesn't seem to be of much use when it's locked in the tool box inside the shell.

I still need to put an alarm in the PW, and a kill switch would be a major pain in that truck because my dual battery system is set up so that even if the main battery is missing, I can start and drive on the second battery. You can't stop the bastards, but you can slow them down.

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Quite a few years ago ( at least 10 ) I saw a kill system that I liked but never got around to getting one. You wired it into the ignition system and activated it with a hidden switch. If some low life did get your vehicle started and started to drive away, in a mile or so it would kill the engine and you could not start it again untill you reset it. The idea was the vehicle would be stranded in the middle of the road and the asshole would panic and take off on foot, leaving the vehicle there untill the cops arrived.

I can't remember the name and haven't been able to find it online.
2005 Power Wagon

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm

saw a kill system that I liked but never got around to getting one. You wired it into the ignition system and activated it with a hidden switch. If some low life did get your vehicle started and started to drive away, in a mile or so it would kill the engine and you could not start it again untill you reset it.
That seems to be a common optional feature on a lot of the aftermarket alarms these days. I have had problems in the past with alarms that malfunctioned and prevented the vehicle from being driven, even when you had the ignition key and the alarm fob. I still have visions of being stuck in the boonies with a truck that won't move because the alarm has failed, but the alarm guys tell me that is not a problem because I can override the alarm system with the valet switch. If I can override, then the perp can override as soon as he finds the valet switch. There are only so many places to hide the switch and the perp will find it if he knows what he is doing. The new alarms can also be set up to send a signal to your smart phone when the alarm is triggered, and to allow you to track the vehicle on your phone if it's moving. That adds about $400 to the cost of the alarm installation and you need to pay a monthly subscription ($10 or so) to keep the system active. That adds up fast.

julesman64

Post by julesman64 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 am

I just had last years Viper flagship model security/starter combo installed in my 2012 (can't remember the model number at this point in time). It has all the bells and whistles, glass-break sensor, shock sensor, starter kill relay, blah blah blah. I liked it because of 2 reasons - 1 is (as far as they tell me) the starter kill feature is not bypassable/cannot be deactivated without the fob or SmartStart app, and 2 because it is SmartStart compatible. This means all the features are useable with my smart phone.

I like this feature because it makes my command start range anywhere I have cell service, and I can lock/unlock arm/disarm etc. remotely any time. This works really good for me, as I work at a remote site that busses me in for 7 days at a time. I can start my truck 20 minutes ahead of when I get back to the parking compound when it's -40°C outside and hop in a nice warm truck. I can disarm the security system and unlock the doors for my wife if she needs to get into the truck to get anything, while I'm at work, 2.5 hours away. Also has all the alarm alerts, vehicle tracking and such, all running back to my phone too.

But like anything cool, it's a little pricey. Cost about $900 CAD installed (which I got a deal on apparently :cash: ). Like anything else though, if someone really wants my truck, they'll find a way to steal it regardless, even if I physically remove the starter... worth the peace of mind to me though.

PowerWagonChick

Post by PowerWagonChick » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm

I have used the viper system on my last 3 dodge trucks and three cars. All were installed with window roll ups and remote start. They are the best systems I have ever used, and work like a champ every time. and all have all the features possible and I use my iphone to operate it. Even has a secondary battery the sets the alarm even if they cut the leads on main battery.