antenna mounts for rambox?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
jsims006
Model Year: 2018

Post by jsims006 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am

More posting!

So I bought a 2m / 70cm radio and looking at the antenna mounts, rambox is coming up short!

So how are you guys mounting your antennas with rambox? I was thinking of drilling the back bumper but I dont want it hitting and scratching up the paint/tailights. Then I though about mounting it to my lightbar but I think it looks stupid. I also don't want an underhood mount and I dont want to drill holes in my roof. I know im high maintenance!

So what idea do yall have for antenna mounts?
Power Wagon: Like a Jeep but for Men.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: antenna mounts for rambox?

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm

You could mount it using an angle plate in the bed accessory rails

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm

oh my god that is genius. What is that spring thing you have there? Does it keep it still while driving down the highway?

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm

It's just a spring mount for the CB antenna (Alaskans are still mostly using CB, better radios haven't caught on up here). I normally keep it tied down on the highway and in town so I don't do damage in drive-thrus.
John
Alaska
My build thread

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Roof will give you better performance than hood/bed/etc mounts. Better ground plane, better take-off angles, etc etc etc.
NMO/Hole-in-the-roof .... I was hesitant at first too, but after drilling 3 holes in the roof of my pickup I can honestly say it's easier than I expected and works way better than I expected. Cheaper as well (NMO mount/cable is about $15, another $5 for an end (mounts come unterminated), and $40 for the antenna itself).

Mag-mount's an option, snake the cable in through the 3rd brake light. Did that for a while with the LTE antenna on my truck.
Could also do a glass-mount, they're not the best but they do work. Lots of options for dual-band vhf/uhf amateur stuff, including mounts that fold down.

VHF/UHF glass mount. Does have a little counterpoise danglie on the inside for the ground plane.

Jack187
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jack187 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm

jsims006 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am
More posting!

So I bought a 2m / 70cm radio and looking at the antenna mounts, rambox is coming up short!

So how are you guys mounting your antennas with rambox? I was thinking of drilling the back bumper but I dont want it hitting and scratching up the paint/tailights. Then I though about mounting it to my lightbar but I think it looks stupid. I also don't want an underhood mount and I dont want to drill holes in my roof. I know im high maintenance!

So what idea do yall have for antenna mounts?
Those plastic corners on the bed are removable. I have rails that use plates that cover those corners. You could probably reach out to Marcus at Dethloff Mfg and ask him about a couple of corner plates to use as mounts. https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/contour-ra ... 2500-3500/
2015 Tradesman (PW option), 37X12.50R17LT Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires, AEV Katla 8.5" wheels

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I’d be happy to make a corner plate into an antenna mount. The geometry and mounting is all figured out as it’s part of my racks. One plate with antenna mounting and grounding would be a easy solution and leave your bed rails open for a tonneau.

Marcus
Dethloff Mfg

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm
I’d be happy to make a corner plate into an antenna mount. The geometry and mounting is all figured out as it’s part of my racks. One plate with antenna mounting and grounding would be a easy solution and leave your bed rails open for a tonneau.

Marcus
Dethloff Mfg
I should have done this orginally. Would have saved my roof. Biggest mistake ever. We should have used the rack.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Marcus
Dethloff Mfg
That would be awesome! I will hit you up on messenger. I would want 2 plates.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 am

dethloff may have another sku to offer us as i would like an antenna mount there as well
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 am

Well I hope he answers my email today, I would like to get the ball rolling.

I was thinking to have a riser come off the top about 2 or 3 inches which would give clearance for any type of mounts that have a right angle cable connection. I would be using NMO but I might want CB options too.

jsims006

Post by jsims006 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 am

Low_Sky wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm
It's just a spring mount for the CB antenna (Alaskans are still mostly using CB, better radios haven't caught on up here). I normally keep it tied down on the highway and in town so I don't do damage in drive-thrus.

I've been reading a lot about how mounting behind the cab is really bad. How long is your antenna and how is your swr and real world use?

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm

jsims006 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 am
Low_Sky wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm

I've been reading a lot about how mounting behind the cab is really bad. How long is your antenna and how is your swr and real world use?
It's a 48" whip, tuned it with an SWR meter. With a clear line of sight (highway) I've got 3 miles of range out of it. On the trail, depends heavily on terrain.

This is the most robust and best mount for me and my use of the truck. We have extremely tight trails in Alaska (not a lot of full size traffic, mostly Jeeps and SxS). A roof mount, hood mount or window mount would get ripped right off. Forum member Wilsonsinak uses a magnetic roof mount and it always ends up dangling as some point during a trail run. This mount tucks my antenna all the way behind the roof line so it snags less going down the trail, and the spring mount lets it slide under those branches that reach over the truck. The radio whizzes may scoff, but sometimes "best" isn't best. A different solution may better suit your situation and needs.
John
Alaska
My build thread