Re-installing a couple of HAM radios

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re-installing a couple of HAM radios

Post by LagunaH1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi everyone,

Ever since I got my '16 wagon, I have used 2 radios, an Icon IC-7000 for HF, VHF and UHF, and a Motorola XPR 5550 for FM & DMR on UHF.

Well, recently, I decided that the way I had the radios installed ( both control heads remote mounted upfront, radios tucked away under the back seat) wasn't good enough anymore, as I wanted to run both VHF and UHF off commercial radios. (long story about why, but they really do have far better RF capabilities in hostile environments than many ham radios)

I found a Troy Products console which kinda sorta fits in the wagon. I then set about removing the front center seat / arm rest to make room for the console.Getting the center seat / armrest out, was an exercise in what not to do, LOL. Well, I learned a lot so I guess that's a good thing.

Here is the first mock up of the new setup:

Going forward, my primary radios will be a VHF and a UHF XPR 5550 mono band FM / DMR radio. The IC-7000 will become backup on VHF and UHF, and also provide HF capability as before.

Remaining items to do:

Wire radios to power bus
Wire power bus to aux battery
Wire voltage booster to IC-7000
Connect ignition to separate ignition sense bus
Apply power to volt meter and dual Powerpole outlets
Extend antenna coax cables
Mount IC-7000 control head on console
Mount IC-7000 radio in console
Mount voltage booster in console
Ground the console to the wagon's body.
Modify plastic surrounds to accommodate the console, while retaining as much of an OEM look as possible.

More pictures to come as I make more progress
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Re-installing a couple of HAM radios

Post by LagunaH1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Made some progress today:

Still need to connect the good 'ol IC-7000's control head and HF antenna, but at least I now have FM & DMR on VHF and UHF
NR6E

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Looking good lagunah1!!!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Nice work! 👍
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Today I got the IC-7000 wired up with the voltage booster, tuner and control head. A few days ago, I decided to move the mics form one side of the console to the other

Here is how the setup looks today:

Next, I want to get the Icom mic situated properly, and after than I want to run a FAR thicker gauge cable to power the radios. The voltage drops from 12.5 with no load, to 12.0 with all 3 radios on, but not transmitting. If I transmit, the voltage drops even further.

In other words, there is too much resistance in the cable I've used. I had honestly thought 10 gauge would be good enough, but I guess not.
NR6E

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:06 am

Personally, I'd go for a car stereo amp install kit. They're inexpensive, come with power cable, fuse, short ground cable, terminals, and some other cables/wires for amps.
I have 8AWG to the amp/radio in my pickup, seems to work fine.