Relocating the USB / 12 Volt outlet from the center console?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Relocating the USB / 12 Volt outlet from the center console?

Post by LagunaH1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi guys,

I'm working on a project to remove the stock center console and replace it with a Troy Products console to hold 3 radios. So far, I've managed to un-bolt the center seat / console / arm rest.

I'd love to be able to relocate and re-use the USB and power outlets found in the center console. -Haven't been able to find a way into the armrest to remove / un-do the outlets.

Have anyone done this on a 2014+ truck? -Mine is a '16.

Edit: as I'm re-reading this, I'm realizing that I probably should be a bit more specific:

I am looking for ways to to relocate and re-use the UB / 12V SD card reader panel located under the lid in the center seat / arm rest on my '16 truck.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: Relocating the USB / 12 Volt outlet from the center console?

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am

LagunaH1 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm working on a project to remove the stock center console and replace it with a Troy Products console to hold 3 radios. So far, I've managed to un-bolt the center seat / console / arm rest.

I'd love to be able to relocate and re-use the USB and power outlets found in the center console. -Haven't been able to find a way into the armrest to remove / un-do the outlets.

Edit: as I'm re-reading this, I'm realizing that I probably should be a bit more specific:

I am looking for ways to to relocate and re-use the UB / 12V SD card reader panel located under the lid in the center seat / arm rest on my '16 truck.
Never heard of anyone doing that, but it shouldn’t be hard to find the wire harness and follow it to that little power module (destructively if you have to). It’s the only thing in there that gets power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 am

Low_Sky wrote:
LagunaH1 wrote:Hi guys,

Never heard of anyone doing that, but it shouldn’t be hard to find the wire harness and follow it to that little power module (destructively if you have to). It’s the only thing in there that gets power.

Yup, I see the wire harness, just need to figure out how to get to the sockets in the arm rest.

NR6E

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am

Do a search for armrest upholstery videos.

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Good call..... found a few videos. I think I'm going to live without the 2 outlets (12 volts and USB Data). Too complicated.
NR6E

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Well I know Dave over on American Adventurist replaced that 12v with a BlueSea fast charge dual USB plug. It's in his build thread over there and he had photos of him removing that lid and opening it up.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures