GPS

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2017

GPS

Post by Easttnrhino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Do not know if this is best place to post this but any experience and help would be appreciated. I am looking at a Magellan off road GPS the 7" screen right now I have paper maps and Garmin that still uses GPS not phone signal. Garmin says I can down loads for Backcountry but it is a small screen and almost 9 years old, it is hard to follow a road out on the map like I can on a smart phone. But as we all know, no phone signal in the back county. Has anyone tried the Magellan or what else is available and affordable. Thanks
Enjoying beautiful east TN

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: GPS

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:32 pm

I use the Gaia app on my phone and tablet. Works great, modern phones and iPads with cellular have built in GPS so you don’t need cellular to use it. You can download maps ahead of time to different degrees of accuracy/space. Tracking is excellent. Can make routes ahead of time.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Yeah, I have been using Gaia GPS for two years now. It's a fantastic app, the desktop version is also fantastic for sharing routes and route planning.

Check out this route here for an example:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/hwI0N6mv7rNtziz2lBHeZHSw

The app itself on a device like an iPad Mini is really great for recording your tracks, or following routes you already made. I also use it to mark locations of campsites or spots we think would make good campsites to return to at future times. And you could run this app on your phone too, so you can have it when you go hiking.

Really, the need for another device seems almost pointless these days.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks I have tried the Gaia app my smart phone ( free one or trail do not remember) and this phone does not pick up GPS for some reason it about a year old it put my route on it when I got back to signal. We like see where this and that back road goes when we come to intersection and wanting to be able to follow that road/ trail out and just not having much luck even looked at dual GPS receiver hook to I pad and buying Gaia but the magallon was all in one package.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm
Thanks I have tried the Gaia app my smart phone ( free one or trail do not remember) and this phone does not pick up GPS for some reason it about a year old it put my route on it when I got back to signal. We like see where this and that back road goes when we come to intersection and wanting to be able to follow that road/ trail out and just not having much luck even looked at dual GPS receiver hook to I pad and buying Gaia but the magallon was all in one package.
Huh? Your phone doesn't have GPS signal? Then you bought a cheap phone dude.

I don't even have service on my iPad Mini, but it is a cellular model and works great. I know some people think they will save money buying the wifi model and then buying a GPS receiver, you will not save money. Done the math. A good bluetooth receiver is about the price difference between the wifi and wifi+cellular model.

If going iPad and not android, the best money saving route is to buy a refurbished iPad from Apple, and pick up Apple Care:
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/ ... deals/ipad

:cheers:
-------
------

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Dude my GPS on my phone finds me but because of no cell signal the maps are not there I have tried downloading maps before I lose service but either I am not saving them correctly or I do not get enough area. And maybe the phone does not have enough memory or space.Not wanting to buy anything but have tried several things with my phone but I must not be doing it right . Does the Gaia have roads preloaded as in trails and forest service roads? Like I said it followed me then when I got back to service it loaded map and I could see where I had been, but I am needing that info while I am out of cell range . You ever come out of the woods on the other side of the mountain and wonder where a right turn will take you, or a left turn. Thanks

KevinABQ
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by KevinABQ » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm

BoldAdventure wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Huh? Your phone doesn't have GPS signal? Then you bought a cheap phone dude.

I don't even have service on my iPad Mini, but it is a cellular model and works great. I know some people think they will save money buying the wifi model and then buying a GPS receiver, you will not save money. Done the math. A good bluetooth receiver is about the price difference between the wifi and wifi+cellular model.
Even a $10 Kyocera throwaway phone has GPS.

Was that what you were running on the iPad in Moab?
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline, 37 Toyo MT.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:00 pm

+1 for Gaia. You can download the maps you plan on needing before you leave service (can download over cell network or WiFi). It doesn’t do on-road route planning like the Google Maps app, TomTom car gps, etc.

I like to create a path on the trail(s) I’m interested in with Google Earth, save them to .kml files and send those files to Gaia. Gives you a big, bold line to follow on the map. Not quite the same as a real routing gps app, but pretty close.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:00 pm
+1 for Gaia. You can download the maps you plan on needing before you leave service (can download over cell network or WiFi). It doesn’t do on-road route planning like the Google Maps app, TomTom car gps, etc.

I like to create a path on the trail(s) I’m interested in with Google Earth, save them to .kml files and send those files to Gaia. Gives you a big, bold line to follow on the map. Not quite the same as a real routing gps app, but pretty close.
It can sort of guide you but it's kind of silly. If you have a pinpoint you can select it and do GUIDE ME, but it's more like a course lock with distance too. It relies on you to stay on course.

Certainly not in the same sense as Google Maps or something. But those will get your ass lost on back roads.

Offline maps, and the MAP LAYERS are the best part of the app, IMO. I have NFS and USGS and then a Land Use Map that I use in combo. Get different info from each of those layers.
-------
------

dustinsayes

Post by dustinsayes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I've used Delorme PN40 and PN60 and Garmin 62stc. I really liked the maps on the delorme and I like the gps unit itself. I found it complicated to share files and keep my maps updated. The garmin works. Its simple. Garmin basecamp is cool and its easy to export the internal memory to google earth.

Easttnrhino
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Easttnrhino » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Has anyone looked at the magellon off road GPS, and does anyone know anyone who has tried?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 pm

I’ve been a fan of the lowrance units for many years, having a dedicated unit hardwired into the vehicle and having an external antenna mounted just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in the backcountry. Baja series is bulletproof.

App based navigation can be great, I’ve dabbled with Gaia and it seems to have great features, and I’ve used leadnav with good results. I just prefer more robust hardware personally.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:41 pm

The map sections in Gaia, once downloaded, have to then be opened. You’d select ‘maps’ and open the region you’re traveling through to apply it to the main map

continuecrushing
Model Year: 2014

Post by continuecrushing » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm
Has anyone looked at the magellon off road GPS, and does anyone know anyone who has tried?
Hey, I do. The "rugged" version trx7. I'm on the fence about it. First off, it is really cool-makes it easy to backtrack etc, so I never worry about getting lost in a maze of trees or something. Navigation is sort of clunky, and not very smooth (slight lag/not as responsive as I'd like) but the maps are pretty good.

I wouldn't use it solely as on road gps, as it sort of sucks for that (I run the trx7 side by side with my garmin, garmin is way better).

Offroad? Works fantastic.

Also I've had it freeze up on me/restart a few times (maybe from heat? Garmin was fine though...) which is frustrating. Also, when you try and view saved routes and such you can't edit them. For example, you can track a route through your neighborhood, and check later on device or web based interface. However, say it froze half way through the route and didn't track you for a block or two-you can't edit it and "say" you drove there. Meaning if you export the route to someone, it will have a "dead" spot where it stopped tracking you.

Like I said, I'm on the fence about mine. I did not want a ipad/tablet though as I want all my maps with me at all times without having to download before going somewhere or worrying about service (downloading the maps remove the service issue, but still, I like having all the routes with me).

Another issue is the user base. The idea behind the trx series is that people will share routes etc-but many many guys don't want to share routes as they don't want trails being trashed/closed down/others to know "their spot."

Buy a used one off ebay and try it for a while-worst case you hate it and sell it while only losing a few bucks.

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:Do not know if this is best place to post this but any experience and help would be appreciated. I am looking at a Magellan off road GPS the 7" screen right now I have paper maps and Garmin that still uses GPS not phone signal. Garmin says I can down loads for Backcountry but it is a small screen and almost 9 years old, it is hard to follow a road out on the map like I can on a smart phone. But as we all know, no phone signal in the back county. Has anyone tried the Magellan or what else is available and affordable. Thanks
What kind of smartphone are you using?

Many of them CAN use GPS even when there is no cell signal. If you then go get a good off road navigation app like motion x gps or similar then I’d think you should b set. You would need to download maps to the smartphone before you venture out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Gaia. I'd type more, but I'm sleepy. It's awesome. Trust us.
-------
------

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 am

I've been using a Garmin 610T. I've been in places that there is no cell coverage. So anything on my cell phone won't work.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 am

RustyPW wrote:I've been using a Garmin 610T. I've been in places that there is no cell coverage. So anything on my cell phone won't work.
Gaia app works without cell service. Just like a handheld GPS, you have to have the maps downloaded before you leave WiFi (or cell service). Pop your phone into airplane mode and you have a touch screen GPS with a giant, good screen that is also a camera/flashlight/Angry Birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
My build thread

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 am

Low_Sky wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 am
RustyPW wrote:I've been using a Garmin 610T. I've been in places that there is no cell coverage. So anything on my cell phone won't work.
Gaia app works without cell service. Just like a handheld GPS, you have to have the maps downloaded before you leave WiFi (or cell service). Pop your phone into airplane mode and you have a touch screen GPS with a giant, good screen that is also a camera/flashlight/Angry Birds.
Yeah, GPS chip is built into most devices and doesn't require service. I also have an extended battery case for my iPhone. So put it in Airplane mode, GPS chip still works, but wifi/bluetooth & cell service get disabled. Used it a few times hiking. Which is great, one device, not twenty devices.

Most of the trails we run in Idaho there is zero service.
-------
------

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Most of my state is zero service. I was pumped when the iphone got the update that lets Bluetooth stay on in airplane mode. I use the Gaia app as a GPS, and Bluetooth pair my phone to my Delorme InReach (Garmin owns InReach now) so I can satellite message from the phone. Much easier to use the touch screen than the InReach's 4-way pad for typing messages. With sparing use, I can go about 3 days on an iphone charge in airplane mode, and I have a battery pack that's good for four more full phone charges. . . . and a solar panel.
John
Alaska
My build thread