Camp Chef Pro 90X

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
TwinStick

Camp Chef Pro 90X

Post by TwinStick » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Anybody got one & how do you like it/use it ?

I just picked one up from Cabela's tonight, & the full width griddle & rolling carry bag. I plan to use ours mostly at home, for canning (once i get everything i need for that), & for cooking large quantities of food & then vacuum sealing & freezing it. I want to also get the 2 burner griddle for camping, so I can use the 36 cup coffee/tea/hot water pot on the 3rd burner. I am so looking forward to using it. 30,000 btu's x 3 ought to do the trick.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Re: Camp Chef Pro 90X

Post by Low_Sky » Thu May 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Looks like you could cook a lotta beans on that thing. The red fold-out wings look pretty flimsy, I wouldn't put too much weight on them. From the pic I found, I can't tell if those are bolts or rivets holding them on.

On Amazon it only has 13 reviews, but they're all 5-star. Looks like people love them.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed May 09, 2018 10:25 am

The verdict is in: This thing is friggin awesome ! Cooks a LOT of food in short order. The day i used it, it was super windy though & that hampered things a bit, had to cook with flames higher than i wanted, just so they would stay lit. I may have to invent a better wind screen for it. As for the red fold out shelves....they are wicked sturdy. They rest on the fold out handles & are of decently thick steel. Handles take ALL my weight (234lbs). So, NO issues of any food on a plate being cause for concern. They are Chicago screws w/posts of decent size holding the shelves on. No binding when folding or unfolding shelves. The rolling storage bag was a great investment as well. I fabbed up my own drip catch can & hanger...even though it came with a drip catch can holder. LOVE this thing. So, here are the pro's & Cons the way I see it.

Pro's:
Cooks LOTS of food VERY quickly. I cooked a lb of bacon, 6 big potatoes/homefries, a bunch of veggies all at the same time & then a dozen scrambled eggs/mixed w/veggies. 10-15 min tops, from start to finish. Could easily do 10-12 good sized pancakes at once. Heats up my 36 cup SSteel Coffee pot in no time. Excellent for Philly Cheesesteaks. Outdoor canning & large food prep for vacuum sealing. Legs are simple, super sturdy & each one is adjustable for level (about 3" or more). Shelves are sturdy. Restaurant quality heat from a portable package. Fits in my PW, under the bed slide i made. Our Cabela's credit card got hacked ($25 in the Netherlands) & was cancelled the day before we made this purchase, so i explained this to customer service at our Cabela's store & said I do not want to miss out on the "Cabela's points". She said no problem, buy it today, come back with receipt & new card & we will exchange & re-charge it-----Oh, & by the way, if you just happen to come back on a Tuesday, you will receive an additional 10% off your purchase !!! So our bill went from $467.00 down to $407.00. Can't beat that i guess.

Cons:
Big, heavy (60 lbs). Not so good for simmering/on low in super windy conditions (will work on that myself). I had to tweak it when I got it (no big deal to me, but still, Q-Control should be better than that): the right side shelf did not sit level, so un-level, that it was not useful at first. It sits level now but took a day & a trip into town to remedy. Expensive little set up if you get the works. My bill was $467.00 total, for grill, full width flat top & roller bag....BUT---see Pro's.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 am

Very cool piece of equipment, thanks for the review twinstick!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Used it again. It was windy as hell this time too, so I set it in the garage. Bags of red potatoes were BOGO & so were onions. So, I did up 10 lbs of home fries w/10 lbs of onions. Worked awesome. Also did up 25 Sahlens hot dogs, after the potatoes & onions were done. Put into portion bags & vacume sealed everything & in the freezer. My moms power went out for 3 days & she lost everything in her fridge/freezer. Getting difficult for her to cook anymore, so this should help her out. Wife made chili & I made chilidog sauce out of some of it. Portioned it & froze it. I also made some pinto bean soup from scratch, for the first time. Turned out awesome. Vacuum sealed that up for her too. Love that stove. It is now so easy to cook up massive amounts of food in no time. :rockon:

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Used it again. It was windy as hell this time too, so I set it in the garage. Bags of red potatoes were BOGO & so were onions. So, I did up 10 lbs of home fries w/10 lbs of onions. Worked awesome. Also did up 25 Sahlens hot dogs, after the potatoes & onions were done. Put into portion bags & vacume sealed everything & in the freezer. My moms power went out for 3 days & she lost everything in her fridge/freezer. Getting difficult for her to cook anymore, so this should help her out. Wife made chili & I made chilidog sauce out of some of it. Portioned it & froze it. I also made some pinto bean soup from scratch, for the first time. Turned out awesome. Vacuum sealed that up for her too. Love that stove. It is now so easy to cook up massive amounts of food in no time. :rockon:
It’s on the family’s summer list for this year, looks ideal for camp-outs and family picnics...thanks for sharing ‘
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>