Easy Ideas for Hot Food on the Trail

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Easy Ideas for Hot Food on the Trail

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:39 am

Okay, so I'm familiar with the foil wrapped burrito on the intake manifold as an option for a warm meal while out exploring, but I want to see if any of you have some ideas for enjoying a hot meal out on the trail.

I've found a couple other ideas while searching around on the web like...

8649545899_554ca01c1c_z.jpg
Using a bicycle water bottle holder to heat canned goods in the engine bay.
I wonder how much pressure builds up in the can when it's hot?

Or this 12 volt food warmer on Amazon that has 4.5 stars and 1610 reviews.

71iNl-nQ0bL._SL1200_.jpg
Draws 12 amps and claims to heat to 300º but takes 30-60 minutes to get it hot. Requires some planning ahead before you stop for lunch.
61MnXW-7nXL._SL1200_.jpg
Uses disposable foil loaf pans for easy clean up.

I saw pictures of someone else that did this next idea, I liked it enough that I decided to make my own. This is more for when you've stopped and set up camp at the end of the day.

Rear Wheel Camp Table - 1.jpg
It makes use of the under-bed supports available at the rear wheels on a 3rd gen.

Rear Wheel Camp Table - 2.jpg
Insert a couple of 1"x2" boards and a support on top of the tire.

Rear Wheel Camp Table - 3.jpg
Then add a piece of plywood and some screws for stability.

Rear Wheel Camp Table - 4.jpg
It needs some more refinement, maybe a couple of adjustable support legs. It's a little bouncy. An extra heat shield to protect the truck might be in order, I need to give it a live test.

Here's a couple of engine cooking, cookbooks:

51M1ioidl3L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

91bKP7BOj9L.jpg

Anyhow, those are some of the ideas I've come across, I'm hoping you guys have some input as well. :patriot:

TwinStick

Re: Easy Ideas for Hot Food on the Trail

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm

This subject is only limited by your imagination, appetite & gear. It takes a long time to heat something up in a can on the manifold plus you run the risk of exploding the can. Yup, done that in the Army. If you want compact---hard to beat this combo: https://www.cabelas.com/product/CLASSIC ... lsrc=aw.ds --- https://www.cabelas.com/product/MSR-reg ... s?slotId=3 Stove fits inside pot. Put pre cooked food in a plastic container, empty into pot & heat it up. I have 3 of those Primus stoves, they are friggin awesome. I have used them in the Army, atving in winter, & light camping.

We also have Coleman stove/s & I am saving up for a gourmet set up: https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping ... s?slotId=5 ---- https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping ... s?slotId=3 Obviously for vehicle camping but will also be used for canning & my 36 cup coffee/tea/hot water pot. https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping ... ?slotId=11

I have used the tailgate for the camp stove/toaster & microwave. Camping with no electricity & the microwave dings, that usually gets some people's attention, then they start asking questions & I tell them I have 2 batteries & a 2000/4000w inverter set up & a 270 amp alt. Also use a 2 piece toaster & small 700 watt microwave. Watts do matter in that instance, the lower the better because of start-up watts/amps. We are supposed to work smarter, not harder, as we get older ! LOL :lol:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Snowmobilers have "Hot doggers" and "Muffpots" for that - clamps onto the exhaust pipe.
Bikeman even makes a "Munchie Muffler" that integrates the mount right into the can. :rockon:

Pork chops/steak - quick sear on the grill, almost cooked, wrap in foil then chuck into the muffpot. They'll be cooked and good by lunchtime.
Lil Smokies in an oven bag is a big hit.
Lasagna works well.
A Qdoba burrito will fit into the larger ones.

If i'm taking the truck/trailer, i'll throw the camp grill-stove in there.

The big trailer's got a microwave, toaster oven, and two coffee makers. :lol:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 pm

TwinStick wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm
I have used the tailgate for the camp stove/toaster & microwave. Camping with no electricity & the microwave dings, that usually gets some people's attention, then they start asking questions & I tell them I have 2 batteries & a 2000/4000w inverter set up & a 270 amp alt. Also use a 2 piece toaster & small 700 watt microwave. Watts do matter in that instance, the lower the better because of start-up watts/amps. We are supposed to work smarter, not harder, as we get older ! LOL :lol:
TwinStick,

Is your inverter pure or modified sine wave?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:34 pm

It is a modified sine wave, HF special. I know it is not the best for electronics but no issues yet. Microwave is a 700watt dial type that i picked up for $20 brand new, toaster was like $15. To be fair, I have only used them a couple of times each. I would like a pure sine wave but wow, :cash: :cash: :cash: :cash:

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:18 am

Anything switch-mode (most power supplies) can take modified sine just fine. Rectified, plenty of input capacitance to clean things up, then it goes through the switcher with pretty fast feedback loop (usually a few hundred khz) where it goes through more filtering to provide DC to the load. Most of your plug-in wallwarts and laptop supplies are all SMPS's. A lot of flatscreen TV's do the same internally.

The clock on the toaster oven in the big trailer runs fast on generator power, uses the 60hz as a clock ref instead of its own xtal. When the trailer's on utility power it runs right.

IMO "pure sine" is a marketing gimmick for the most part, but there are some things that will run better on it.

yeah we really rough it ;) :lol: