Good N Useful land anchor?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Good N Useful land anchor?

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Anyone heard anything about or used one of these? Looks interesting. I like that the slide handle lets you hammer it back out of the ground, don't have to get behind the anchor and pull it out or dig it out like a Pull Pal. Lots cheaper than the big Pull Pals too.

http://goodnuseful.com/product/x-treme- ... s-compact/
ATV size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HojD_u8_qfA
Truck size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vIrHHuWDeY

I sent them an email asking about how they do in mud or soft ground. All I've seen in their videos is hard dry ground or frozen ground in Utah.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

TwinStick

Re: Good N Useful land anchor?

Post by TwinStick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Looks like it would work good, under the right circumstances. Did not budge at all in that video ( :rofl: LOVE all the cracked & broken plastic on that Avalanche !!! :lol: ) Also looks VERY labor intensive, as compared to a Pul-Pal. Maybe not-so-much in hard ground though, IDK ? With pul-pals while in the military, we never had to dig them out, we just hooked to back of vehicle after it was unstuck & pulled it out with the vehicle. But also, it was soft ground everytime we used one.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 pm

I think a Pull-Pal is a better solution if you have a winch. This thing takes almost as much space as a Pull-Pal, weighs almost as much, and is too close in price. If you look around, there are used Pull-Pals available for cheap. I have three Pull-Pals, all from Craigslist. Got a small one (Jeep size) for $150, and two of the full size (RW14000 or something like that) for $300 and $150, respectively. Did not need the third one, but at $150 and never used, I just couldn't let it sit there. And you don't have to wear hearing protection to use a Pull-Pal.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:55 am

TwinStick wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:23 pm
Looks like it would work good, under the right circumstances. Did not budge at all in that video ( :rofl: LOVE all the cracked & broken plastic on that Avalanche !!! :lol: ) Also looks VERY labor intensive, as compared to a Pul-Pal. Maybe not-so-much in hard ground though, IDK ? With pul-pals while in the military, we never had to dig them out, we just hooked to back of vehicle after it was unstuck & pulled it out with the vehicle. But also, it was soft ground everytime we used one.
Haha, the dude driving that Avalanche was having a good time for sure.
John
Alaska
My build thread

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 am

Looks like another bollard style device with a different method of driving the spade into the ground. The PP looks like less labor but a lot more money and complexity.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:57 pm

The biggest appeal to me was that you can set and and retrieve it solo (by hammering it out, or jacking it out with a high lift). I've never had hands on a Pull Pal, but by all accounts I've seen you really need two people to set one; one to run the winch and one to keep it upright until it digs into good soil. This anchor could also be used in rocky soil if you can find a spot between rocks to drive it in, not true for a Pull Pal.

I emailed back and forth with Good N Useful a few times, but decided to pass on this. They don't have any testimonials or test data on how these perform in the kind of soils we have up here in Alaska, and the freight to get one up here is almost half the cost of the anchor. I can't justify paying that much to be the guinea pig. I THINK it would work great up here, but to even think about paying freight on this thing I'd have to KNOW it would work great up here.
John
Alaska
My build thread