Premier Power Welder or Ready Welder II

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Premier Power Welder or Ready Welder II

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 am

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ever used one of these products?
Have you ever needed or used a welder on the trail?
I'm thinking of getting a 110 volt welder that I can use at home and thought maybe I should consider one of these options so it would be completely portable. I'm not that hardcore off road that I would ever need something like this, but I might be able to help someone else on the trail, plus be able to do my own fabrication at home.

NH190-7_PPW-2000__90696.1484628496.500.750.jpg
Premier Power Welder
Premier Power Welder This one looks like it replaces the OE 160 amp alternator with this custom 190 amp unit. It also has a 2300 watt 115 volt power outlet for brush type power tools and incandescent bulbs.

10000ADPCS__33009.1483985915.1280.1280.jpg
Ready Welder II with cold start
Ready Welder II This one looks like it requires dual or triple batteries for best functionality.

Please share your stories, thoughts and opinions. Also if you know of other products like these, please share what they are.
:patriot:
Last edited by Retired BLM Rig on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Premier Power Welder or Ready Welder II

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am

That's bonkers. I saw a guy on a trail doing the old school method with jumper cables and was just blown away. Way outside my skill set.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am

Not sure what each costs or how portable they would actually be ? Seem to be dedicated to the vehicle. I have always heard good things about the Premier Power Welder. I am sure both work well. I know they have their own alt with the 1 kit but i have some questions ?

190 amps is not that big by today's standards, so knowing that:
Would it be better to have a 270 amp alt, that puts out 200 amps at idle & not be working it hard ?
Or would it be 6 of 1 & 1/2 dozen of the other ?
2 or 3 batteries would need some amps to keep charged while welding. yes ?
I guess salt & corrosion is a non-issue for you-seeing as how you are in Ca ?

Batteries can be a pain to keep up, in tip top shape. Most that sell high end AGM batteries don't know the first thing about charging them or keeping them up. Most vehicle charging systems are not up to the task, & can't be made to-because of the CPU (or whatever the vehicle computer is called these days). It limits voltage to 14-14.6v. They like 14.8 volts or more, sometimes MUCH more. (I have recorded as high as 19volts from my 50 amp x 3 Odyssey charger !)

Lots to consider. Its a big project & investment. I am looking forward to see what you do. On-board welder is a SERIOUS accessory & would be right at home on a PW ! :rockon:

:popcorn:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am

:idea:

On the new PW's, if the dual alt option was on it, could the one alt (the 220 amp) be used to charge 2 additional batteries, so you could just use the batteries & cables without all that fancy expensive stuff, like MikeKey said ??? If so, you could probably do a LOT of welding before you needed to stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbq93kjFfLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPXGd0rcMU

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm

I’ve had a premier power welder on my trail Jeep for 6-7 years now at least. It’s absolutely great, the high frequency output welds very nicely and it’s works as an inverter as well for powering tools etc. usually an angle grinder in my case. I’ve used it around the homestead and the trail and it’s been flawless. Not sure it would make our trucks very happy though, as it takes computer control of voltage output away from the host vehicle during use of the welder/inverter. It may be fine or possibly throw a code or maybe screw something up on a more modern vehicle than the tj I have it on. Call and ask them though, if you could use it it would be an awesome addition to a power wagon.

The ready welder 2 is also a great bit of kit, I’ve used one as well. The downside for me is needing several batteries and needing to disconnect them from a vehicle to use it Heavy lifting and loosing radio presets aren’t my speed lol. It’s a more versatile system than the ppw though.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Well I got all excited thinking that the Hobart Trek 180 might be a contender, until I discovered that they discontinued it. :angry:
What were they thinking! :doh:

It was able to be used while plugged into house power or as a stand alone unit. It was also rechargeable using a minimum 400 watt vehicle inverter. Now I have something else to search for on Ebay and Craigslist. :cash:

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

I use the Rediwelder. Its a monster. Have welded anything you can think of and the batteries would still start the vehicles. You can just disconnect the battery on the repair vehicle and bring over one from another.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Just another option.....if this applies : If you already own a portable generator (like many of us already), you could just get a small regular 120v welder. Use it at home like regular & just bring the generator (or even a good sized inverter would work) when wheeling ? More stuff yes, but if you already have the gen............ I can & did put our Honda eu2000i in the trunk of our Corolla, on occasion. Very portable.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... ctCode=819

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... de=V430011

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... Code=12525

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:09 am

TwinStick wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 pm
Just another option.....if this applies : If you already own a portable generator (like many of us already), you could just get a small regular 120v welder. Use it at home like regular & just bring the generator (or even a good sized inverter would work) when wheeling ? More stuff yes, but if you already have the gen............ I can & did put our Honda eu2000i in the trunk of our Corolla, on occasion. Very portable.
Thanks for the idea! :rockon: I may consider a large pure sine wave inverter and a small portable MIG. That would probably be cheaper than the PPW, especially if I can find a good used welder on Craigslist or at a garage sale.

Don't you have a large inverter for running a microwave Twin? How big and what brand did you choose? Currently mine is just a 700 watt modified sine (too small).