obdii gauges

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: obdii gauges

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 am

It does not change anything in the ecm, it is calibratable for tire and gear changes but only for the gauge readings. The gauge can show actual adjusted speed and miles but the truck speedo will not show any correction.
Same as my Edge Insight pod. Looks like your has a few more readings then the Edge, but not the most important ones. Lots of fuel consumption and service interval stuff, but I didn't see oil press, oil temp, trans temp. Did see battery voltage, though.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am

Ducky's Dad wrote:
It does not change anything in the ecm, it is calibratable for tire and gear changes but only for the gauge readings. The gauge can show actual adjusted speed and miles but the truck speedo will not show any correction.
Same as my Edge Insight pod. Looks like your has a few more readings then the Edge, but not the most important ones. Lots of fuel consumption and service interval stuff, but I didn't see oil press, oil temp, trans temp. Did see battery voltage, though.

The only gauges this device has are ones that the stock truck has sensors for and that the ECM monitors....it get all it's input from the truck computer.
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

The only gauges this device has are ones that the stock truck has sensors for and that the ECM monitors....it get all it's input from the truck computer.
Well, yeah. My point is that the Edge does not seem to display all the readings that might be available from the truck's existing sensors. As an example, we know that the truck has some sort of voltage sensor because of the recurring problems with the low-voltage interrupt on the PW-specific winch. So the ECM is sensing voltage under at least some operational conditions, but the Edge won't display that voltage. My truck came from the factory with uncalibrated analog gauges for voltage and oil pressure, but the Edge won't display voltage or oil pressure. There is stuff in the computer that the Edge is not seeing.

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Same with this sensor. We know there is a fuel level sensor, but this won't read it. It does however read voltage levels.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:36 pm

It does however read voltage levels.
That's an improvement over the Edge. Any hope of reading oil pressure, oil temp, trans temp?

My Edge gives me goofy info like spark advance in real time, but it won't read the parameters that actually matter. The most useful reading on the Edge is manifold absolute pressure, so it's like having a manifold vacuum gauge on a carbureted engine, but I still can't get the PW mileage up.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 am

This gauge does give a realtime instant mpg reading...it sucks to see about 4mpg upon accelerating from a stop no matter how light I push on the skinny pedal....but then it's cool to see over 60mpg coasting down a hill at 65mph!

It does read the fuel level sensor on my truck. I did have to tell it how many gallons it holds at full tank though.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 am

The only downside I have with it are the buttons are on the back. Makes it hard to change gauge pages. It has seven pages and you can configure up to eight gauges per page.

The reason they put the buttons on the back is cause they don't want you playing with it when you are driving....

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 am

verdesardog wrote:This gauge does give a realtime instant mpg reading...it sucks to see about 4mpg upon accelerating from a stop no matter how light I push on the skinny pedal....but then it's cool to see over 60mpg coasting down a hill at 65mph! It does read the fuel level sensor on my truck. I did have to tell it how many gallons it holds at full tank though.
Yeah, I usually have that page up too watching the instant MPG. Maybe you found a setting I hadn't. When I put it in my truck, I had maybe a half tank of gas in it. I told it I had a 34 gallon tank and it started counting down from 34 gallons rather than sensing it really had 17'ish. If you hit menu and jump into the fuel menu there is an option to get the fuel level and it always says no fuel sensor detected. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing to happen from there. When I filled my tank at the gas station after getting down to a quarter tank, I had to go into the fuel menu and tell it I filled up. I went to check on what year truck you had and your profile says CTD, so maybe therein lies the difference.

Either way, for the price, I'm enjoying the gauge. Thanks for the heads up on it. My only other complaint really is that I don't want to leave it sitting in my truck for people to see when parked, but they don't make the gauge detachable, you have to pull down the gauge and the cable to the ODBII plug. This makes it pretty much impossible to permanently install the wiring into the truck by routing it through the dash.
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:20 pm

hmmm, my setup does show the fuel sensor. Strange how dodge does different things for similar vehicles.

I have the gauge mounted with double stick tape and can just pop it off the mounting bracket if I want. But I don't think I'll keep it mounted all the time, it doesn't really show me anything I really NEED to see. I think I'll just hook it up if I need to read trouble codes.

I might have to use a marker to blacken the tape showing to make it less noticable when not mounted:

Push back on the top rounded part of the bracket and the gauge comes right off....