Ham Radio vs CB

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Re: Ham Radio vs CB

Post by AceMan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Good points, Cactus. So what d you think between those two HTs? Of course, if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, all are high quality equipment, and will serve you well. If you can go look at them, that might help you make a descision, if not go with what you like based on the features you want. My first criteria is durability since all my stuff gets beat in the truck. Vibration resistance is high on my list.

I do all my programming manually, so I buy Yaesu because it's what I'm familiar with. My first radio was chosen for it's reputation for durability, the FT-2800. So as I moved up to dual band, I stuck with Yaesu getting the FT-7800/FT-7900, and the last radio I bought was the FT-2900, the replacement for the discontinued 2800.
I'm just along for the ride...

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm

That's what those guys said, to stick with one brand. I was just reading up on the Yaesu 350AR. It looks like a nice radio, especially with the big face plate, but there are mixed reviews at http://eham.net. Some hate it with a passion, and some swear by it.

I have to think about it more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Image Image Image

Fireman78
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Fireman78 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm

This is the thread I have been looking for. :mrgreen:
Enjoy this life, cause it's all we're getting.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 am

It's an informative thread. :D

Sent from the Nexus.

Black '06 PW QC
Image Image Image

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm

I do all my 2m programing via computer, so much easier thatn from the front of the radio. The software is worth the cost for me. I do have many radios to program though, I'm the com sergeant for
Verde Search and Rescue.

I have been thinking of getting an "all in the mic" cb for over the road use to listen to truckers reports......
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Which all in mic CB? The Cobra 75WX?
https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-st-c ... eather.cfm

And curious, which HT and truck mount radios do you use?

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Mon May 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Yep, that cobra CB looks like a decent one....

In my truck I have an old ICOM V8000, for handhelds we just had to upgrade to narrow band and are using Icom V80's, we also have a few Relm's that were donated by the sheriff's office.
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 pm

verdesardog wrote:Yep, that cobra CB looks like a decent one....

In my truck I have an old ICOM V8000, for handhelds we just had to upgrade to narrow band and are using Icom V80's, we also have a few Relm's that were donated by the sheriff's office.
Nice. I was leaning towards ICOMs. I still haven't bought one. Money's tight, which is another reason I haven't made any new mods on the truck. For Rausch, I may just get a portable CB, since that's what some of the other guys are using. I know Pit has the FT2900, but I'm not sure if he's actually using it yet.

Fireman78
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Fireman78 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I just picked this one up at Overland Expo. I don't know how to use it yet except I can access NOAA weather which is great especially since fire season is upon us. I can't wait to start figuring all of this out. Apparently it has like a 28,000 mile range or something like that. ;)
Attachments
IMG_20130523_151507.jpg

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Baofeng UV-5R - I've got one as well to use as a loaner. Range isn't quite 28000, but it's reliable for 4 or 5 in open country. If you'd like to increase that, a different antenna, either a mag mount or a replacement for the stock one will help.

Full listing of Baofeng products and accessories. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ds=baofeng

Replacement option. http://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower%C2%AE ... ds=baofeng

Mag Mount. http://www.amazon.com/Tram-1185-Amateur ... ds=baofeng

Cable to attach mag mount to radio. http://www.amazon.com/SMA-PL-259-Adapte ... ds=baofeng

Speaker Mic. http://www.amazon.com/Original-Handheld ... ds=baofeng

...and lastly, the 12V conversion so it doesn't have to run on the battery. http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Battery- ... ds=baofeng

Programming is described in the post I've got on the radio: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=11&t=954

Fireman78
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Fireman78 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm

HAMFEST in Albuquerque this weekend. Aug 9-11. Hotel Albuquerque off of Rio Grande /I40

Fireman78
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Fireman78 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 am

I finally got my 2 meter radio installed in my rig. Now I just need to learn how to use the damn thing. For now I just listen to NOAA weather, which is pretty cool.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 am

Good!

Now comes the fun stuff - programming in frequencies like 146.46 simplex for trail use, and local repeaters. Local repeaters can be found at: http://k5ehx.net/single.php?id=25820

I also use that site to plan routes so that I have local repeater info for the area we end up at, print up a cheat sheet, and keep it handy if needed. I don't program those in, it's easy enough to setup a channel manually if required.