SDHQ A-Pillar light mounts...

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
TwinStick

SDHQ A-Pillar light mounts...

Post by TwinStick » Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

I've had them for about a year & just FINALLY got them installed. What a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS. Either my truck is different or they really didn't want to say all the fab work involved for the 3rd Gens. Not sure I would do it again.

Looking at these to install on them: https://www.auxbeam.com/driving-light/77704267 I also thought about these: https://www.auxbeam.com/driving-light/77721738 but think they may be too heavy and/or too big & bright for side of the road lights ?
Last edited by TwinStick on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: SDHQ A-Pillar light mounts...

Post by Colibri » Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Those are too darn big to put there :jawdrop:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 am

The 4 1/2" dia 42 watt ones are the same dia as the small Vision-X light cannons. https://www.visionxusa.com/article/rapt ... 20Lighting

https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/4-5-lig ... on-xp-kit/

I am looking for a flood type or combo, to light up the sides/ditches to avoid deer accidents & as a bonus should be great for trails as well.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am

The 4 1/2 should be about perfect, those 7" I believe are just too big. What happened install wise that made it such a pain? I've been contemplating those mounts for the same reasons
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 pm

From what i saw on their website, it basically looked like minor trimming. I don't consider using a sawsall minor trimming. Tin snips are minor trimming. You have to cut the upper most fender bolt mounting tab. No big deal. You have to cut off the ends of the plastic cowl which includes the only 2 screw mounts to hold it down---they go away. Then comes the hinge bracket. My truck had a bend in it the way it was made. Website made it look like it was straight & just slipped in. Mine did not. It would not fit because of said bend. Also, the part of it, with the mounting hole, has to be on the inside of the mount. No way, no how would it work without cutting. So, I had to make a cut under the mounting hole & far enough back so the mounting hole became a tab, that could be bent over to go to the inside. Also, the bend had to be cut out in order for it to work & far enough back, so the I could cut down into it from the other cut & remove it. There just is NOT a lot of room to do this with a sawsall. Maybe a air saw would be better, IDK ? You also have to trim the fender up top, to be able to get a wrench on the nut once you actually install & tighten things down. Then to top it all off, they did NOT include the hardware ! :angry: The ONLY hardware that came with it were the nut & bolt for the L bracket. Nothing for the mount to the part I had to cut up. A trip to the hardware store & $4 later, I was set. Also, there were NO instructions included. I had to keep coming back into the house to look on the computer. THAT SUCKED as well. Now that they are on, they seem strong, but would be MUCH stronger yet if they drilled a hole in the flat part that rests under the hinge & included a flat top hex bolt to go in it. I may do that in the future before I actually mount the lights. I don't have the lights yet. Buy some sawblades before the job. I bent the shit out of mine 4x but was able to re straighten it enough to finish the job without breaking. Just not enough room for the stroke of the saw.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu May 04, 2017 3:22 pm

:jawdrop: holy shit, that sounds pretty damn awful. I'm sorry you had such trouble with that. I'm seriously rethinking these now
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Perhaps a Dremel with a diamond bit would work easier to remove that material?
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Wow, you should have gotten in touch with SDHQ about this... I have the newer brackets that mount the light horizontally, and although they weren't exactly a breeze to install, they weren't nearly as difficult as yours. Mine came with gr8 hardware and pretty decent instructions. I had to trim the rubber corner pieces of the cowl, but that wasn't bad at all, i did mine with a blade. No way should you have had to break out the sawzall for these things, maybe they've done a bunch of tweaking to them in the time since you purchased yours. Bummer you had a hell of a time with them, but at least you've got them on now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 04, 2017 3:55 pm

I did use a dremel for the light stuff but the bracket it bolted to was pretty thick for a dremel, at least IMHO. And it still would have been hard with all the shit in the way. Maybe if I took the fender off, it would have been much easier, but again, that is not easy peasy.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Yeah they must have done some serious refinement since then because removing the fender never crossed my mind as being remotely necessary. They definitely should have included some printed instructions at a minimum though. Also, on the horizontal ones I have, I'm running 4" lights but test fitted 6" round hid with no clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I don't think I would have clearance issues either with 6" or even 7", it's just that I also don't want something that is too bright & causes light backwash/hotspots either. At only $60 for 2, 4.5" + wiring harness, I'm not out much if they are not satisfactory. I can always use them for back up lights.

Never in my life did I think I would live to see: TV's that are too big & too clear, vehicle lights that are too bright, or pick ups that were $90k !!! :jawdrop: :lol:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Fri May 05, 2017 8:03 am

You may or may not want to wait for our Gucci lights to hit the market. I will see if it is in our interest to design a pillar bracket that is truly a "drop in and bolt on" solution, with zero or as close to zero modifications necessary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri May 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Well, mine are already installed & mods are done, so.....

I would love to see them though. :rockon:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 06, 2017 11:37 am

Just don't forget us(you) 3G peeps when you design said bracket...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Got my lights from AuxBeam. They seem pretty darn bright. The 4.5" round ones for the A-pillar (ditch lights) lit up my yard & 3 others. The 54" curved double row lit up everyones back yard light like daylight. A-Pillar mounts are gonna need some slight modification if I want to be able to point them out to the sides, as the light hits the truck unless pointing straight forward. I'm thinking a piece of steel 2-3" tall should do the trick. It will be a while till I get everything mounted up. I may even get a light bar mount from KC HiLites for the 54" curved light bar. Very happy so far for the $225 I spent.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Modified brackets are done. Hit them with some primer tonight. Turned out great. I can almost turn them a complete 90* from forward. Should make great ditch/field lights. Thats how most deer are hit around here. They are in the field, get spooked, start running full bore but you don't see them until they enter your light pattern. By then, it is usually too late. I should be able to see them a long g-damn way off now. :rockon: Still not decided on how to mount the LED light bar yet.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 pm

On the plus side of things, I made my own light covers for the 4.5"round Auxbeam lights & they turned out GREAT. IMHO, they look factory, but i guess i am biased. :lol:
Pics are uploading now, stand by.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 pm

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Any idea what they are ?

Small dog bowls from w-Mart ! LOL :lol:

Had to cut the one side, for the bottom swivel of light (they are mounted sideways), drill 4 holes for the mini-bungee's & put a piece of green foam from my old Army sleeping pad to cushion against the lens, so it don't get scratched up. Nice & tight.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:06 pm

So, anyways, I am super happy how the lights turned out. That said, they are not comparable to any of the American made ones-at all. But for the total of $225 from Auxbeam & another $50-75 in hardware & wireing (used the pre-made set up from Tractor Supply for the round lights, a Y adapter & bought 8 sets of Deutsch connectors from Superbrightleds.com for future light installs on camper, etc). Light output is perfect for me & exactly what I was looking for. Not so bright that you get blinded by your own lights hot spots. Bright enough that you can see everything. And I have a very nice 180* of bright white light with no dead spots. I have the A-pillar lights aimed out to the side/ditch's. Obviously, they are NOT road legal, but I did take it out last night for adjusting & aiming. Went to a school parking lot to do it & still got bitched at by some snotty ass bitch not liking that it also lit up her yard. I will try & get some pics at some point. I have no idea how to resize/downsize pics. That is beyond my skill set, sorry.

Also ordered the black light covers for the 54" curved bar, so it can be road legal & pass inspection every year. They should be here soon.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 pm