Got my 2 new key fobs in the mail today.

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
TwinStick

Got my 2 new key fobs in the mail today.

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Now I gotta see if my dealer will cut them & program them & how much they are gonna charge me. :cash: :cash: :cash:

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: Got my 2 new key fobs in the mail today.

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Going to your dealer? This may help:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:05 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm

If you have two old sentry keys and they still start the truck, you can program your own keys from the comfort of the driver's seat. The key programming instructions are on page 17 of the owner's manual.

I bought an extra blank sentry key on Ebay, took it to the local hardware store and had them cut it (they weren't too happy that I didn't pay their new key price, but they did it anyway saying "no guarantee") and then I programmed it myself using the instructions in the OM.

No lube required, if you have two working keys. (the fob buttons don't have to work, the key just needs to be able to start the engine)
Good luck! :patriot:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I may give that a try. Both my keys start the engine. But only 1 has the buttons that work. Always good when "no lube is required", lol :lol: .

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Bill2014 wrote:Going to your dealer? This may help:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: No lube required at all! :lol:

I just had to spend a couple hours driving around to different hardware stores, trying to find someone who can still cut my key blanks. Apparently, the new machines can not cut vehicle keys at all. Just another way to force you to use the dealer i guess ? I was refused at 5 different places. Ended up going to an old ACE Hardware store, that still had the "old machine". Even that machine did not work exactly. It did the whole key except the very tip. Key fob was so big, it prevented the machine from doing the end. So, I asked him if he can freeform the tip & just do it by eye. He said "you trust me doing that" ? I said go for it, how hard can it be. Just set the real key right above the blank & go slow so it does not over cut. He did that & it worked like a champ. Went out & tried them in the door & both worked great. He did not even charge me anything for doing them ! :rockon: Came home & read the owners manual about the key reprogramming again & again & again & tried it. :excited: SUCCESS, SUCCESS !!! :excited: They are both reprogrammed & work like a champ !!!

Thank you for the info Retired BLM Rig ! :rockon: :rockon:

I am SO HAPPY to have working key fobs again. Didn't even have the truck 6 months before they went through the washer & stopped working. I did not even bother looking into replacing them because when I bought the truck/took delivery, they made me sign a paper stating that i received 2 chipped keys, because they said replacement was around $275 per key.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 pm

The owners manual was not real clear. The way it was written, it looked like you use your 2 original keys to set it up, then just insert the new blank/key, do what it says, take it out & insert the next new blank/key. But I ended up having to do the entire procedure for each new key-meaning using both original keys to set it up for every additional key. Anyway, it worked & I am very happy. Thanks again.

On a side note, I noticed my next door neighbors daughter was there with the kids. I was picking up pine cones from the wind storm. She came out & we started talking. I have known her since she was a baby. Anyways, she said, no not visiting, her power went out. She brought the fridge stuff over to her parents. I asked if she had a freezer & she said yes. So I offered to go over with my generator & plug it in till the freezer stopped running, so they wouldn't loose their food. So when her dad got home me & him went over there for about an hour & half. Told them I would do it again tomorrow if need be. Also told them I don't mind but at the same time that I am NOT leaving my generator there without me being there.

DirtyOffroad
Model Year: 2014

Post by DirtyOffroad » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:43 pm

General going rate for programming is 1 hour regardless of the number of keys so you shouldn't get bills twice for that.
2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon
1.5 Thuren - Front
Thuren Rear Track Bar
LED Headlights and Fog
37x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country M/T

Merrick Dodge/Chryler/Jeep Salesman - Long Island, New York.