A good axe

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

A good axe

Post by verdesardog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 am

is so nice to use.

2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: A good axe

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

That's a good-looking axe.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Is that a Gransfors Bruks ? If not, what is the brand name ? Husqvarna ? And yes, a great axe is a joy to use. Something very primitive about using an axe that makes you feel good. :lol:

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Same goes for a machete :)
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Will wrote:Same goes for a machete :)
Only for you Floridians!

Sent from my safe space

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Slap a fiberglass handle on that puppy :poke:
And that will reduce the vibration shock too
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Bill2014 wrote:Slap a fiberglass handle on that puppy :poke:
NO. NO NO NO. Fiberglass handles SUCK. They are what kill your hands. Wood is perfect, it absorbs the shock. Fiberglass handles are too rigid and transfer it all straight to your hands. Wood ftw

Sent from my safe space

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Bill2014 wrote:Slap a fiberglass handle on that puppy :poke:
NO. NO NO NO. Fiberglass handles SUCK. They are what kill your hands. Wood is perfect, it absorbs the shock. Fiberglass handles are too rigid and transfer it all straight to your hands. Wood ftw

Sent from my safe space
It's interesting that you think that. I've got more than 20 sledges, axes (single and double sided), go-devils, etc. all with fiberglass core handles. They're my choice because they reduce vibration and won't break unless you abuse them. All the fiberglass axe handles are glued to the heads so they don't require a supply of wedges to keep the heads on tight.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm

It could well be a Gränsfors axe, they are fantastic!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Bill, I've never felt that way about fiberglass, I wonder why we have different feelings. On the fire department we had almost all wood handles and a few fiberglass ones. The fiberglass ones would eat your hands alive. Same exact tools, same job, but everybody went for wood. Same with my personal tools. We experimented when we brought a pick out to break some soft granite at our shooting spot, and the fiberglass was painful on the hands. I dunno man, different strokes for different folks?

Sent from my safe space

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:25 pm

It's a Hults-Bruk, hand forged in Sweden. I photo shopped out the name because I hate labels and do not do free advertising.
No fiber glass handles for me.....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 pm

For me, no fiberglass handles in the winter. I broke one on my sledge hammer. Missed & hit the post at about 10*F & bam, it broke. To be fair, I suppose wood may have broke too, IDK. Fiberglass is better in the summer, But I also prefer a wooden handle for an axe anyways. Hults-Bruk is also a very good axe, one of the best in fact. It seems they are the oldest axe maker in Sweden, at 300 years old, vs Grandfors-Bruk at 100 years old.

And machetes are not just for Floridians. Any self respecting man---especially one who owns a Power Wagon, should also have a quality machete or 2. And I do mean quality, which in the case of machetes, does not mean expensive. They can be expensive though if you want a fancy one. I am an absolute fan of my Ontario 18" & 12" machetes. For around $21 it is hard to beat it. The trick with machetes is the heat treat. Ontario Knife Company has it down to a science. I once out chopped a guy with a $600+ custom knife with my $21 Ontario 12" machete. He was mad beyond belief. I have a few South American machetes that got an absolute epic FAIL. The blade edge rolled right over on the first chop. People have told me that machetes are not supposed to be razor sharp, for exactly that reason, because the edge will roll. Not my Ontarios. You can shave the hair right off your arm with mine & they do not roll the edge.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am

TwinStick wrote:For me, no fiberglass handles in the winter. I broke one on my sledge hammer. Missed & hit the post at about 10*F & bam, it broke. To be fair, I suppose wood may have broke too, IDK. Fiberglass is better in the summer, But I also prefer a wooden handle for an axe anyways. Hults-Bruk is also a very good axe, one of the best in fact. It seems they are the oldest axe maker in Sweden, at 300 years old, vs Grandfors-Bruk at 100 years old.

And machetes are not just for Floridians. Any self respecting man---especially one who owns a Power Wagon, should also have a quality machete or 2. And I do mean quality, which in the case of machetes, does not mean expensive. They can be expensive though if you want a fancy one. I am an absolute fan of my Ontario 18" & 12" machetes. For around $21 it is hard to beat it. The trick with machetes is the heat treat. Ontario Knife Company has it down to a science. I once out chopped a guy with a $600+ custom knife with my $21 Ontario 12" machete. He was mad beyond belief. I have a few South American machetes that got an absolute epic FAIL. The blade edge rolled right over on the first chop. People have told me that machetes are not supposed to be razor sharp, for exactly that reason, because the edge will roll. Not my Ontarios. You can shave the hair right off your arm with mine & they do not roll the edge.
I have had a military issue machete since I was stationed in AK. I think its an Ontario knife company blade, same company that makes the M7/9 bayonet & the issue AF flyers survival knife. All robust, reliable, and effective tools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CZDQ ... 1CAWP99DAM
https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-1- ... B0001WBIEY
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Yes, Ontario has/does make machetes for the military. THAT is how they got their heat treat down to a science. By making tens/hundreds of thousands of them. Also the M7 Bayonet's & others. The heat treat is key. They are not all perfect though. When I was in Germany in the US Army, we had a bad batch of bayonets. Too high of a Rockwell heat treat. They were brittle. I broke about 3 myself. They shit canned the whole lot of them & got new ones, no issues then.

Lots of people love Ontario machetes because they are relatively inexpensive & can be modified by anyone for their specific purpose. And, if you screw up the modification, you are not out a lot of money. I put a Bowie tip & thinned the grind on mine and also modded the handle some and put a 2 finger choil on it for doing fine/close up work.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Mine doesn't look like that--mine looks Vietnam era. Generic black block poly handle, and a longer profile blade, thinner from blade tip to back, but thicker.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:40 pm

I can appreciate a good axe in a set of irons. Pretty used to the fiberglass handle

If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

Gentry I didn't know you were FD. I miss my Halligan. I carry a Pulaski with the truck to make camp spots and to take care of small brush fires when I'm out in the boonies here in CA

Sent from my safe space

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by bstefanic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm

New Husqvarna 576926201 26" Curved Wooden Handle Multipurpose Logger Forest Axe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WJGXAQ/re ... xorzBgSw8E

Have a couple of these....they're amazing. Really only the handle is Husqvarna....the head is hand forged in Sweden. I don't remember the company at the moment but they make seriously expensive axes
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by bstefanic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 pm

verdesardog wrote:It's a Hults-Bruk, hand forged in Sweden. I photo shopped out the name because I hate labels and do not do free advertising.
No fiber glass handles for me.....
May have just posted the same thing that you did
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:31 pm

The reason I asked if it was a Husqvarna is: :secret: there was scuttlebutt in the axe world that the Husqvarna axe's heads were made by one of the top makers in Sweden, yet priced MUCH lower than the ones they make themselves. We could never find concrete evidence to either confirm nor deny those rumors though. Some even said they were seconds that they just cleaned up & removed the blemish's on. We will never know.

What we DO KNOW is, the quality of the Husqvarna axe's heads are on par with the best Sweden has to offer, yet the price is more friendly for normal people like me.

https://www.smkw.com/gransfors-bruks-small-forest-axe

https://www.amazon.com/Hults-Bruk-Akka- ... hults+bruk

VS $199 for 3 ------ https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Forest ... qvarna+axe

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:29 am

Nice axe, verdesardog! I've got a couple Gränsfors Bruk axes myself and LOVE them!
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference