Educate me on smokers please

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
TwinStick

Educate me on smokers please

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm

I know nothing about them. This is the one i have my eye on: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/ ... _104582880 I need to know what works & what don't. If you had to do it again, what would you do differently. Thanks

$300 Cabela's gift card for retirement.

blindsquirrel33
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Re: Educate me on smokers please

Post by blindsquirrel33 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:01 pm

I have the propane gas model. My only regret is that I didn't get the electric one. Gas is a giant pain to regulate the temperature with. A friend of mine has the electric model like the one you're looking at and he has a much simpler time with it. Overall though, I love the foods I've smoked in my unit.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue May 31, 2016 6:54 pm

Landmann propane is what I have. Holds temp great. I like gas over electric, I swear the food tastes better. Has that crisp. Has a cast brass burner, will last a lifetime. Mine is 10 years old, the igniter quit but I just light it with a bic. Smokes, chips, chunks or pellets.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm

2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue May 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Only thing I would do differently is get the wider one. I think I have the 34" tall but it's only 12" wide inside and you have to cut ribs down to fit them, looking back, I would get the widest one they have. Image

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 pm

It's a dirty habit, don't do it...
I'm just along for the ride...

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Cactus Red wrote:It's a dirty habit, don't do it...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:30 am

Well, sometimes you just get lucky. We went to Cabela's last night to pay off our Cabela's credit card in full. I brought my $300 retirement gift card with me-just in case. I start looking at smokers & BAM, there it is. My $430 smoker, on sale for $349 on a special for fathers day. Included a free cover, sausage hanger & some other stuff as well as a dvd of recipes & how to..... stuff. Had a $20 coupon with us as well & also used my discount. The wood chips i got were on sale as well. It even fit in the backseat, in the box (by a mm) of our Corolla. Can't beat saving money

I just HATE saving money..............said NO ONE,-EVER !!! :lol:

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:23 am

Awesome!

Time to do some tri-tip or brisket, and get that smoker broke in.
I'm just along for the ride...

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:49 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:49 pm

I ate wayyy tooo muuuccchhh

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Smoker is a smokin'. Trying some sausage for my first time. Sure smells good with the peach wood chips. I'm thinking maybe I should put a lock on the door of it, just to prevent late night/early morning hooligans from following their nose---right to my food. Not sure yet. If I filled it up with 2-$300 worth of meat & it was gone in the morning, i would be pissed off beyond belief.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:42 pm

So, Sausage turned out flippin' awesome. Yum, yum.

Just put a pork butt & brisket in. Injected the pork butt & rubbed the brisket with this: http://grilling24x7.com/smoking-pork-an ... -together/ 15 hrs should do the trick. My son got the smoker to be controlled from my phone !!! How flippin' cool is that ! I can monitor the smoker temp, change & adjust it, set it to remind me to add more chips & see the internal temp of the meat w/meat probe---all from my damn phone, while i'm gettin drunk !!! You just can't beat that !!! LOL :lol: I put a pan inside to hopefully catch most of the drippings, if not, it will drain down into the resivour, so i can save it & add it back if needed when i pull the pork. Also saving the fat i cut off the brisket after it is done but before i cut it up.

Damn, making myself hungry. :lol:

Made a new drink that I think is pretty damn good. Think I will call it the "Green Manilishi". Ginger ale with some mint leaves from my garden. Put in the Vita-Mix & blend. Ice cubes, Jim Beam Apple & the ginger ale mint mix !!! "Makes you do things I don't want to do" !!! :lol:

https://youtu.be/BRW-qrEHZjE

:rockon:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:08 pm

To paraphrase Dean Wormer, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through retirement, son"
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

:secret: Drunk, I ain't. Stupid, I'm not. Fat, well :angry: you, i'm working on that !!! lol :lol:

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:40 pm

You're hooked now! Haha

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Yup, I think i am hooked.

:lockedandloaded: ON HIGH ALERT !!!

Neighbor was asking his wife "what smells so friggin good ? :lol:

:cheers:

Edit: 187* internal meat temp right now ! :popcorn:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 am

Hahaha!
Just lookin' out for you!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Brisket^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Pulled Pork^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Verdict is in. Family says it is as good or better than any we have ever had........Including Famous Dave's or Dinosaur BBQ or Sticky Lips. Awesome stuff !!! Gonna try some fish in a few days when family comes up.

Any tips for fish ?? I have 2 Salmon filets & an Alaskan Cod filet.