Ham radio and power wagons

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Ham radio and power wagons

Post by Colibri » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:49 pm

About to install my first mobile rig in the power wagon, a kenwood tm v-71a dual band 2m/70cm with a comet ca-2x4srnmo antenna. Any other hams on here? Any tips or advice is appreciated guys. Should I bond the bed and exhaust for 2m or is that more for high freq use?
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Cactus Red

Re: Ham radio and power wagons

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:52 pm

I've used two Yaesu radios, an FT-7900 70CM/2M dual band and FT-2900 2M ( currently in the truck). Both were used with multiple antennas - fender mount and hard mounted thru the roof, and the bed/exhaust were bonded. I have a bad RPM based buzz on reception, output is fine. I haven't been able to solve it.

My buddy BX has no problems in his '09, so I believe it's something weird with my truck.

As far as range and clarity of reception go, the 5/8 wave roof mount is awesome. I've connected into repeaters over 100 miles away (from near Williams AZ to Aguila AZ) when conditions are good.

Dennis Miller "You can't order black coffee anymore. It's un-creamed..."
I'm just along for the ride...

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Brains under the back seat

Ext. speaker and mic coupler

Ebay suction-cup bracket, yanked the suction cup out, filled the cup with epoxy, and VHB-taped the sucker on...

Cleans up all nice n' stuff...

Glass-mount dual-band on the rear window. Works breddy gud.

Digital doesn't care as much, so an HT's generally adequate. Wouldn't mind having an XPR5550 wth HCH in there, but ... :cash:
Always used HT's more anyways, since I'd rather be on the moto or snowmobile than camped out in a truck. 8-)

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by chrisjameswagner » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Here's my set up.
Ham Install.JPG
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up