3G Fire Extinguisher Bracket

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

3G Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Post by Ducky's Dad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Found this today, waiting for VetteWorks to call me back with price. Guy said it is actually available now. Site says it is for 2002-2004 Rams, but looks like it will fit a 2005, and probably later trucks.
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog ... ucts_id=39

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: 3G Fire Extinguisher Bracket

Post by RAM4ROKS » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 am

That's pretty sweet! I have been debating where I am going to mount my fire extinguisher.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:20 am

Vetteworks never called me back, but I did just buy a 2.5 lb Amerex Halon 1211 extinguisher (yesterday). It looks like it will barely fit under the outboard edge of the driver's seat, on a modified Amerex mount. Planning to work on the mount tomorrow and will post pics when done. The Halon is the same size as the dry chemical units so whatever I come up with should work with just about any pro-grade 2.5 lb unit. No room on the passenger side because of the factory jack.

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

Looking forward to your pics!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Still no response from VetteWorks, but here's a universal extinguisher mount bracket that might allow mounting one in front of the seat.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/sm01br.htm

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Finally finished mounting my extinguisher next to the driver's seat. Extinguisher is an Amerex 2.5# Halon, but the Halotron and dry chemical and Purple K extinguishers in the 2.5# version are all the same size. The 2.5# units from companies like H3R are roughly the same size and may be interchangeable on the mounts, but you'll need to check. Before I settled on this setup, I spent a bunch of time at an extinguisher shop trying to figure out where to mount the biggest/best extinguisher in a spot where it would be readily accessible without digging through other gear to get to it. You could mount one of these on the front of the seat tracks, but I didn't want to do that because I sometimes drive with muddy muck boots or even waders and a front mount could get in the way. Can't really mount anything on the side of the passenger seat unless you delete the factory jack. Did not want to use a hardware store dry chemical unit because they all have flimsy plastic mounts, plastic nozzles and sometimes plastic handles. The professional units are all steel, aluminum and brass and can be recharged after deployment This one is mounted on a modified aircraft bracket. Probably would not pass USCG inspection because of the mods, but it's in the truck and seems pretty secure.

Please excuse the quality of the pics. For some reason today, the only way I could get the resolution low enough to post here was to take a screen shot with my cell phone and then resend them to myself. First pic is the extinguisher and the standard mount before I cut it. Note the U-bracket on the end of the mount. That is designed to be captured in machined slots in the head of the extinguisher and keeps the unit from sliding or rotating. But it also keeps the extinguisher tube from rotating 90 degrees so that the handles will fit under the seat, so I cut it off (second pic). I wound up using two automotive single-strap mounts (Amerex 817) to cobble together a double strap mount because I had two of the singles available. Life is easier if you just buy a double-strap aircraft mount to start with, Amerex 817S (http://www.h3rperformance.com/sm01br.htm). After you cut off the end of the bracket and touch up the paint, it's a simple matter to slide the extinguisher in and fit it alongside the seat with the nozzle pointed outboard and the handles tucked under the seat track. Won't clear the door with the handles pointed out. Even with a cut bracket, the tube is captured well by the double straps and by the contour of the floor and the door and seat track. Even if it breaks loose in an accident, it will stay under the seat. Before you drill, check under the carpet to be sure there are no wires there. When you mark the floor for drilling, make sure you have enough clearance between the top of the straps and the bottom of the seat track, because you'll need a little gap to get the extinguisher in and out. Also, if you move it outboard just a hair, you can get the holes on a flat part of the cab floor and that makes it easier to seal. I had to move mine inboard just a bit to clear the flaps on my Wet Okole seat covers and allow the seat to travel fore and aft without tearing the cover. The bracket is bolted through the floor with a couple of stainless 1/4"x20x1-1/2" hex cap screws with fender washers on the underside. I put a gob of clear silicone in each hole before I ran the bolts through. I'd like to carry another dry chemical extinguisher but I can't figure out a good place to mount it.
Attachments
photo 1b.JPG
photo 2b.JPG
photo 3b.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Well at least YOU know where it is, no one else would see it in an emergency. And how easy is it to get out of there with the releases straight up? I thought you were going to put it in front of the seat.
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:41 pm

As long as I know it's there, it's better than not having one. And that flap on the seat cover will not be there forever. This is my second and probably last set of Wet Okoles on this truck, because they just don't hold up. Next set of seat covers will probably be cordura of some type. I can always mount another 2.5# unit in front of the seat if really necessary, but there is the boot interference problem to deal with. An extinguisher that size in front of the seat will get kicked a lot. If I only wore hiking boots, it would be a different story.

It is very easy to get out, because I was careful about where I mounted it. Just snap the bands and pull it straight out, sideways. The bands are very thin and flexible.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:51 am

I hear you on the seat covers I had neoprene on my last truck, I was seriously disappointed in the longevity of them. I now have saddle blanket covers from a major seat cover company which I'm not completely happy with either. Cordura will probably be my next set.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 pm

I ordered a complete F/R set of cordura for my Tundra that will be a daily driver as soon as the GMC is sold or dead (taking bets on which happens first). Have not installed the cordura yet on the Tundra, but I have had cordura in the GMC since 1998 and you just can't kill it. Looks like hell, fit is sloppy, not nearly as comfortable as the Wet Okole, but lasts forever.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:22 am

Cordura seat covers are on my list. I got a rear to go in the girls Grand Cherokee and it's awesome. It is super tight and protects the leather from my little one climbing in and out of the back; been in there for a year now and just as tight as the day I put it in and water still beads up on it. I'll try to remember to see what brand it was, I know they are Cordura brand cordura and it wasn't cheap but proving to be worth it. I do recall it would cost $600-$700 to do the Wagon both front and rear with the same stuff but now my driver seat is showing wear and has a small rip in the it so I'm thinking whats the point now...
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by verdesardog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

Put a cover on that seat before it gets worse! I had various seat covers on my 1994 Dakota. Took them off when I sold it with 270,000+ miles on it. The seats looked like new.

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by whitey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 pm

I have the H3R bracket but have not installed it yet. I have a very large extinguisher in the bed already. I'll try to post pics when I get it installed.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:41 pm

:jawdrop: After looking at the price of Halon FE's, I can honestly say, not sure i would use it on someone elses vehicle (unless family or good friend). Great for your own though, for sure. My experience with fire extinguishers & fires: you want at least 5lb or more.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Real Halon has gotten very expensive because (I am told) it has been banned by your government. The Halotron replacement is much cheaper but also not quite as effective. There was a very good discussion about fire extinguishers on Expedition Portal last year and the professional fire guys seem to prefer ABC or BC dry chemical units for the type of fires we are likely to encounter. I agree that five pounds is better than 2.5, but a fiver would probably be in the bed and harder to get to when I need it. I have been thinking about hanging a mount from the ceiling of my camper shell so that an extinguisher back there would never be buried under all the crap I carry on trips.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:09 am

I've had mine here for quite some time. Some long self tapper screws holding it down solid. Takes about 3 seconds to get it out.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more