What's in your gear bag?

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
15wbpw
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

What's in your gear bag?

Post by 15wbpw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:43 pm

What do you guys carry with you every day?

What about when you're headed off road?

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

What's in your gear bag?

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Strap, basic tools, air compressor, fire extinguisher, tie straps, duct tape, jumper cables, rags, hi lift, fuses, extra belt, etc
I have more but those are the basics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

15wbpw
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: What's in your gear bag?

Post by 15wbpw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:33 pm

I've been trying to put together a list of things I'd like to carry daily. I just can't decide what compressor I want to go with for OBA

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:05 am

In my truck at all times..... I do search and rescue so you just never know:

2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:01 pm

A gear bag or grab (aka - ditch) bag are two different things. The ditch bag has a GPS SPOT tracker, hand held 2m/70cm radio, trama kit, survival food, water filter, survival bag, fixed blade and folding knifes, ammo, and a camelback bladder.

Recovery gear is stored in multiple places, but the main bag has two pulley blocks, winch line extensions, six d'shackles, tree savers, and a 10' chunk of 3/8 grade 8 chain in it. I keep the kinetic strap and tow strap separately, the 14k pulpal in it's spot, hand tools and hardware in bags.

Dennis Miller "You can't order black coffee anymore. It's un-creamed..."
I'm just along for the ride...

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:36 pm

i've got a room in my house full of gear... :shock: (my "off-road" doesn't usually involve four wheels though)
Take what I need for the foreseeable activity/conditions... depends on activity (sled, bike, photog, race day, quick evening ride, rescue/recovery), weather, and who i'm riding with. In the snow, i've got enough gear to completely outfit another rider and then some. (Everything but a spare sled right now, and even that may change... :jawdrop: )
EDC includes radio, phone, flashlight, gerber, snacks, and some basic motorcycle tools.

each of these packs is a little over $1k... just the pack, not including the stuff in it. :o :cash: (Avalanche airbags ... cheap insurance)

Avy gear, PLB...

:(

Usual offroad/backcountry stuff... FAK, radio, phone, GPS/map/compass, camera(s), snacks/food/drink, firestarters, tools, shit tickets, mule tape/carabiners, spare batteries...

"bucket" in the truck, along with some spare parts and a more complete toolkit

and the truck's toolbox... not a lot in the way of tools in here, but It's got truck-specific stuff: fuses, winch remote, jumper cables, wire, cheap multimeter, tow strap, tie-downs... bluetooth code reader in the center console... fire ext. mounted between drivers seat and door...

There's still people that ride the backcountry and don't have gear/skills... :doh:
http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread ... post927447

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:40 pm

I carry a few hundred pounds of stuff in every spot that'll hold anything. I'm whitey and I'm a power wagon / tool hoarder! But I like to think of my truck as the do anything "bat" truck. :lol:

TruckBoatTruck

Post by TruckBoatTruck » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:39 am

good to see a lot of y'all have you PW's filled with everything you might need. My girlfriend wants to kill me when I can't put the groceries in the ram box because they are always filled with recovery/tools/everything haha. We are the same breed of people. :lol:

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:00 am

(3) - 4 gal. milk HD plastic milk boxes across front of bed:
1). PW winch bag; 30' nylon web tow strap; chain, (2) 5 ton come along's; (2) 30" drill in earth anchors; 60" Hi Lift with lifting kit; "Ditch kit" canteen; compass; GPS; butt pack
2). Hand Tools: tie wire, duct tape, fire extinguisher, sq. & rd pt short shovels; double bit axe; (2) 3 gal. low profile H2O jugs (one each end of milk cartons)
3). Rear tire well shadow (2) low profile 5 gal gas. (one each side

Has been good to us over the years;
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:15 am

I decided to try using my spare tire as a recovery gear basket. I know this wouldn't work in the rust belt but I've been experimenting with it for a couple months now. So far nothing has fallen out. This helps relieve some of the crowding & weight in my tool box. Most of this stuff is just duplicates of what's in the tool box already.
I like to carry gear with me all the time so I'm prepared, I just don't want it to be in my way on a daily basis (kinda like a spare tire).
IMG_0732.JPG
Three lengths of chain (about 25') and a snatch block.
IMG_0733.JPG
This is what it looks like from underneath when the spare tire is in place. Just the occasional single chain link poking it's head out for a look around.
I reserve the right to change my mind if this proves to be overly inconvenient.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:06 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:I decided to try using my spare tire as a recovery gear basket. I know this wouldn't work in the rust belt but I've been experimenting with it for a couple months now. So far nothing has fallen out. This helps relieve some of the crowding & weight in my tool box. Most of this stuff is just duplicates of what's in the tool box already.
I like to carry gear with me all the time so I'm prepared, I just don't want it to be in my way on a daily basis (kinda like a spare tire).
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
I reserve the right to change my mind if this proves to be overly inconvenient.

:lol: You can do that in Ca. In my state, in the springtime, you would have nothing but a big "basket-of-rust" in there ! :lol:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:03 pm

I hope you don't need anything in that spare if you ever bury it up to the frame rails! That might not be a concern where you live, but it's something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Low_Sky wrote:I hope you don't need anything in that spare if you ever bury it up to the frame rails! That might not be a concern where you live, but it's something to think about.
Yeah, I thought about that scenario. My primary recovery gear is still topside, this is extra stuff that I want to carry but would prefer that it wasn't taking up storage space.

There are those times that we may need a completely empty pickup bed, sans toolbox, for full cargo capacity.
No matter where you live, the spare tire could be considered for short-term gear storage in those situations. :run:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:12 am

I wish someone would make a spare tire area aux gas tank, that was legal in NY State & didn't cost a fortune. Seems like a no brainer. Ford Bronco or Ramcharger should work.

Mule007
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Mule007 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm

when we were looking for added gas capacity before our 20 day cross country trip saw a spare tire gas tank set up that held 20-25 gallons that was designed to fit the gen 3 (2005 pw). Cannot find where or who mfg'd but wound up with 4 5=gallon low profile gas cans instead cuz still wanted the spare under the truck. But that option does exits out there,,,good luck,,
:patriot:2005 Mineral Grey; QC- #0666: "Laramie", power heated Leather seats, tow mirrors, dual zones, Alpine 9 speaker surround sound, steering wheel cruise control, music & volume controls; remote start, 6 CD player, AC; dark charcoal silver interior.
Additions: Frame mounted .188 DOM 3" steel rock rails, low profile steps;1.5” Skyjacker leveling kit; Bully Dog GT Platinum A-pillar mount programmable performance chip, monitor,& tuner; Linex Platinum OTR HD bed & rock panel coating; Red Ryder matching cab high fiberglass canopy; 2” Linex brush guard w/4-4” Halogen off road lights; Hopkins Trailer Mate brake controller; Bearcat Pro 68XL CB; Mopar black fender flares; PW winch accessory kit/remote control.
Tools: hand tools, 60” Extreme High Lift; rigging; straps; shackles; F&R chains; (2ea) rear wheel well NATO 20 L narrow gas cans & 5# extinguishers
Updates: Jasper Remfgr’d 5.7 Hemi Engine; Open Range AT 35x12.5 x17 MP3 10 ply E tires; Moog HD U/L front axle ball joints & wheel bearings; new link, sway, y bar & bushing assemblies; fuel pump; A/C exhaust fan & compressor;1 ton HEMI transmission cooler; OEM radiator; front pinion seal & bearing; Denso 180-amp alternator; Megatron 850 CCA HD battery; water pump, serpentine belt, Bilstein 2 5100 shocks/HD steering damper; F&R locker assembly & sensors/u joints; 3" Magna flow cat back rear exit dual exhausts; Performance Brake/slotted rotor/caliper/pads

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:22 am

In fact there is. I have in the garage to be installed sometime a secondary tank from a 82-84 Ford 250 which fits very well where the 3rd gen spare tire goes. It's some fab work but with the tank and its internal pump and sending unit I get a spare 19 gallons in a legal for gasoline tank. I'll be using it for diesel but that's not an issue.

Here's a link to one on eBay so you get an idea going like I did

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Gas ... 1242106064
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 am

:rockon:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:11 am

So far, I bought the Warn cordless remote. Warn heavy winch kit, 2 winch blankets, tire chains, a second tow strap in addition to the kit. Glovesx2, folding shovel (with replaceable handle), and some survival kit stuff that does double duty (food, water, fire starter, blanket). If I even think I'm going to the woods I toss in what I call my "jump off bag". It's a medium Camelbak with a lot of survival gear in it. I also have some FRS radios, a wind up survival radio, and if I get into offroading I have my eye on a 60 Hi-Lift Extreme (did you know that can fit in a Rambox?) and a CB that converts from vehicle use to portable.

The bag got its name from being the pack I grabbed if I had to jump off the side of a cliff to chase an animal while hunting...

All of this is kept in my Ramboxs.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 am

After reading the other responses I didn't even mention jumper cables, first aid kit, tool kit, road flare kit, tie downs, bungee cords, and ratchet straps. Didn't even occur to me as those have just been standard through the years. I've also started to throw in a 5 gal full gas can just in case.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.