Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:49 pm

This weekend we got to try out the tent on the taller rack for the first time, no Dramamine necessary. You do fee the truck rocking a bit when moving around to get situated or changing. It's nothing excessive, I'd say it feels similar to how a camping trailer moves when it's hooked up to the truck without the jacks down. It got really windy Saturday night, but it stays pretty steady.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: Roof Top Tents - Suggestions

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Should consider getting some leveling blocks for the truck. Makes a difference.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Actually had some of the lego looking leveling blocks with us, but landed pretty darn close to level where we parked so we didn't bother. Or do you mean like jackstands to stabilize it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littletires
Model Year: 2006

Post by littletires » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am

IMG_2917.jpg
I've owned my CVT tent for about 5 yrs. now, It's a Mt. Rainer model. I have about 12,000 driving miles on this current setup, west coast trip - 2015, east coast trip 2016. Lots of Midwest trips also. Close to 100 nights in it. We've been in some extremely winding nights with it which makes the rain fly flap like crazy, no matter how tight you try and pull it down. I haven't tried to take the rain fly off though on those occasions, usually we end up sleeping through it, sucks though. So far, no issues with the tent, rain stays out. If it's really coming down, it'll pool a little bit over the ladder part, right above where you enter the top portion of tent. The lower annex room works for me, but since my tent is mounted up high, we are able to stand up without worrying about hitting our heads on the under side of the tent. Later this spring I'm gonna make another rack system, without the use of the truck cap, so I can mount a canoe and kayak above the tent, sacrificing the head room when the annex room is used. Always a compromise.
Attachments
IMG_20150806_134125_299.jpg

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Now that we also have a 4Runner on the way, a RTT makes more sense. Especially when we don't take the camper. It could be switched between both vehicles, not that i would.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 14, 2017 5:19 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

This is how I did mine this weekend pretty sturdy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue May 16, 2017 9:55 am

Thats cool. I have read that many people seem to eventually have issues (I'm talking long term-like 5-8 years down the road) with mounting hardware and/or brackets on rooftop tents. It can never hurt to increase the surface area and strength of mounts. :rockon:

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri May 19, 2017 12:19 am

TwinStick wrote:Thats cool. I have read that many people seem to eventually have issues (I'm talking long term-like 5-8 years down the road) with mounting hardware and/or brackets on rooftop tents. It can never hurt to increase the surface area and strength of mounts. :rockon:
ya I want it to be able to take going airborne if necessary so I made it very robust!

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

IF necessary he says! :rofl: :rofl:

It's always necessary Lee!!!!!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sun May 21, 2017 10:53 am

Colibri wrote:IF necessary he says! :rofl: :rofl:

It's always necessary Lee!!!!!
lol yes I turned the bypassed up a bit just in case! Image

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

agpilot
Model Year: 2016

Post by agpilot » Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Also in the bed tent category - Image I've found this setup works great with ramboxes (they serve as ledges to hold stuff like flashlight etc inside the tent). I put a 50" wide sleeping pad and a double sized sleeping back in the back and was very comfortable with my girl camping for a few nights.

Hodgepodge
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hodgepodge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm

agpilot wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm
Also in the bed tent category - Image I've found this setup works great with ramboxes (they serve as ledges to hold stuff like flashlight etc inside the tent). I put a 50" wide sleeping pad and a double sized sleeping back in the back and was very comfortable with my girl camping for a few nights.
AG, I did the same thing, an air bedz mattress and a daiken tent, sleep like a baby!
Hodgepodge, Klein, Texas
Retired USAF, Huntin/Fishin guide
Owner operator at HookinUpVeteran's
2016 RAM PowerWagon
37” Toyo Open Country MTs
Amp side steps