New (soon to be offroad) Trailer..Stage 2..Part 2 (5/15/17)

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

New (soon to be offroad) Trailer..Stage 2..Part 2 (5/15/17)

Post by dogcar3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 am

So I found a smoking deal on Craigslist a few days ago and ended up getting this little trailer. It is a Knapheide utility bed mounted on a custom built trailer with a 6500lb axle (with electric brakes). It has brand new 10ply trailer tires, and even came with the vice. The guy who had it used to build trailers as a side business, and this this seems to be pretty well built. The cover opens up and slides forward over the box. Everything locks. Need to get a new key for it tho. It will also need to be cleaned up and painted underneath. But for what I got it for, I am more than willing to put in some work. I already have a huge list of mods to make to it (about a 3" lift to make it ride even with my truck, water and fuel tanks (and pumps), power, solar, mount my rooftop tent, sink, propane, lights (and more lights).....), should be a good summer project.

You may notice an abundance of propane tanks in the second picture, I also scored those (10 of them) off of CL for FREE (plus 4 of the ones that go on camp trailers). And some truck tool boxes that I got for $50. There are the two you can see, plus a big bed drawer system, and a smaller drawer system. I was planning on just making my own trailer and using these boxes for storage until I came upon this trailer.

Can't wait for some nicer weather to get started.

Last edited by dogcar3 on Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2012 Beast.

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: New (soon to be offroad) Trailer

Post by cruz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:24 am

:rockon: ... :popcorn:
2005 Power Wagon

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:44 am

Looks like a stout trailer to start with! What size tire do you plan on using? Our StarCraft 10RT has what seems like a small tire, a 30/9.5-15, on it, but it still has 13" of clearance under the axle, and goes where ever it will fit.
I'm just along for the ride...

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 am

Since the tires are new, I will probably run with them until I get the rest of the trailer done. But I figure I can remove the fender under the box and be able to clear a 33". Ideally I would swap out the lug pattern for something that matches the truck and run the same wheel/tire combo, but unless I get really bored with some extra $$$ then it probably won't happen like that. However, it does share the same wheel/lug/tire as my other trailer in the background, so that is a plus I guess.
2012 Beast.

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 am

So got the entire trailer pressure washed and the inside of the cabinets, as well as all the removable shelves, painted in a flat black rustoleum. Put a new 7 pin harness on it as well since it came with a 6 pin. I filled several propane tanks this weekend at Walmart. They were running a special that they would give you a $10 gift card for each exchange. An exchange is only $18, so basically $8 to fill a tank. Plus all the tanks themselves were free, so I got a good stock of propane for super cheap. Also got the first round of goodies bought/on order.

So it turns out that both my trailers have the same width and aspect ratio on the tires, but my other trailer has 16" wheels versus the 15" that are on this trailer, so I will be swapping the tires/wheels between the two trailers for that little bit of extra height. I missed this in my first glance at the tire numbers when I looked before.

Hopefully this week I can start covering up the rust spots on the exterior, swap the wheels, start some electrical, and finalize some plans. Next weekend I will be busting out the welder and putting a new front jack, rear stabilizer jacks, and fabbing up a spare tire carrier.

One more thing, I scored a used Bed Slide of Craigslist too. About a third the cost of new. So I will be mounting this in the bed of the trailer as well to make it easier to access stuff.

Can't wait to get this thing done and start using it.
2012 Beast.

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 am

Made some more progress this last week. Got a new front jack, rear stabilizer jacks, spare tire carrier, and some mini rock sliders all welded on. Also got my electrical started, wheels swapped, and started dealing with the rust on the exterior.

This week I am going to continue working on electrical (start building my electrical control panel), start my tent rack, weld some umbrella holders to each corner, and hopefully get my Bed Slide installed. I will be ordering the last of the goodies this week when I get paid. Think I am on track for early May to be finished with the trailer. That should give me time to work out the bugs before the first real planned trip for it in June.

I will try and get some pictures tonight of progress so far.
2012 Beast.

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm

This looks like a pretty cool build you've got going on!
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am

Some photos of the progress. Got my tent rack made and bed slide installed yesterday. Also got the inside of the bed painted. Still bunch of spots on the exterior that need paint.

Bed slide at full extension. When close, there is still about about a foot and a half at the front of the bed for more storage (but wont be slid out). You can see the new coat of paint on the inside of the doors and in the bed, but the black inside the cabinets really doesn't show.

The slightly bigger tires, new spare tire carrier.

Spare tire carrier.

Swing jack. Can actually put my tail gate down now.

All closed up. Some new paint. Can kinda see the rock sliders I put on the front and rear on each side. I should have lowered the rear stabilizer jacks in each corner of the rear so they would be in this picture. They fold up nicely out the way when closed.
2012 Beast.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:33 pm

THIS IS AN AWESOME FIND & AN AWESOME JOB YOUR DOING WITH IT !!! How did i miss this thread ? :doh:

Someone should REALLY make & sell these. Seriously, this is the best way to go with an off-road camping trailer. LOTS of lockable compartments. A place for everything & everything in it's place.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks Twin. Always nice to hear some excitement about a project.

Made some more good progress over the weekend. Got a lot of the electrical ran. Started work on my control panel (which I am pretty excited about). Ran all the 'buss' wires for everything, just need the lights/other things to hook up now. Did a mock loading of the trailer as well to see how/where everything will fit. Did some more painting.

This weeks plan is to hopefully get the control panel finished, get the umbrella holders that I did not get to last week, add a couple handles, start running propane lines, make some wood blocks (rather than the long 4x4's currently being used), and make some way to lock the hitch when it is hooked to my truck. Very odd that this hitch does not have any sort of locking pin hole. Then it is just a waiting game for stuff to show up in the mail. I'm about as far as I can get without having everything else I ordered. Most should be here by the end of this week.

Here it is as it sits right now.

You can see the rear jacks in this one.

Other side.

Anybody else have any ideas what should be done to this trailer? What would you do if it was yours?
2012 Beast.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:25 am

Is there room for an ARB fridge on the slide? They are damn near a necessity to me!
I'm just along for the ride...

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:38 am

I have my Edgestar 63 quart wired up on the slide. I never knew how much I needed one until I finally got one.
2012 Beast.

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 am

I'd remove those fenders and maybe fabricate some flares. I'm just looking at it as a lateral clearance issue. Plus, I think it would look better. Just my two cents. Great build though. After seeing your idea and progress I may just undertake such an endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by BigRed2007 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 am

I would add an awning to the list. You already mentioned a house battery and solar. Maybe a couple water tanks for fresh ans shower water. Then you could put together a shower/latrine tent as well.
Flame Red 07 PW - BIG RED
White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders, Volant Intake, LightForce 210 HID x2, HiLift Mounted on Tool Box, Locker Bypass, OBA - EXTREMAIRE Magnum, High Idle, 315/70/17 MTR/Ks, ARB Front Bumper, Synthetic Winch Rope, 3000 Watt Inverter, Carli Performance 2.0 Front end and rear shocks, DT PROFAB Steering brace and Steering Stabilizer,Carli Front Diff Gaurd, 12v Fridge Freezer, Dual Optima Yellow Tops, AirFlow Snorkle, Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe, 2x50W Solar Panels, DOR Control Arms.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I have thought about cutting the bottom of the fenders for more clearance, but I figured I would do it as needed (or let the rocks it for me :D). I have thought about an awning, and decided to just go with my 10x10 pop up canopy (with sides) and some umbrella holders for some umbrellas (all of which I already have to keep costs down). Plus I can move the canopy around as needed. I have a fresh water tank as well as a sink, and exterior hose hookup, planned. Just waiting for parts. Will be a 21 gallon tank. I have a camp toilet that I will be packing, and want to pick up one of those more sturdy pop up shower/toilet shelters. I have a shower setup on my truck already that will provide a nice hot water shower from any water source (most likely a creek).

Great ideas you guys. Really making me be sure I have all the bases covered.
2012 Beast.

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Maybe you could just padlock the chains to the truck? Padlock on both ends of the chain? Cool trailer BTW. I want one like that someday, especially like the vice. :notworthy:

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:27 pm

So the whole reason I even found this trailer was because I was searching for a large vice on craigslist.....and this thing happen to pop up. So I bought an expensive vice, and it came with a free trailer. Works for me :lol:
2012 Beast.

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Wow I guess thats the way it goes sometimes. Sounds a little like the time i bought a Power Wagon.

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 am

Got a bunch of parts in the mail this week. Pretty much everything I need, except a couple propane fittings and some misc. plumbing that I will need. With the weather being crummy this week I have had minimal progress. Got my fire extinguishers (3) mounted, 12v outlets (3) mounted, Ecotemp L5 mounted, backup and rock lighting mounted, put some anchors on the bed slide, and mounted my shore power inlet and water inlet. Also added some much needed grab handles.

I put the shore power inlet in the front gas tank fill hole. I also plan on having the solar panel hookups somewhere in this fill hole as well.

The water inlet takes the place of the rear gas tank fill hole.

My inlaws sold their camp trailer, so there is now a spot on the pole barn I can pull the trailer into for work. So I am hoping to bust out the rest of the metal work tomorrow and start wrapping up some of the many areas that I have started.
2012 Beast.

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 pm

This is a sick project. What I like best about what you're doing is that once completed you'll know everything about YOUR trailer. When you buy one that's already done it takes time to figure out things that go wrong. With what you're doing it'll be done right the first time and with quality parts and labor. Excited to see the final product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TonkaPW » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

This is an awesome build project. I love how you used the existing gas openings for the electric and water. The only thing I would change out would be the ball hitch for a pintle hitch. I have seen ball hitches pop loose in extreme conditions but I have never lost anything with a pintle hitch. :idea:
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 am

Lots got done over the weekend. Finished up my control panel, made a hitch lock, made some mounts for my water tank, put on some umbrella holders, pretty sure I got all the metal work done (for this stage anyway). Then I started some more wiring and misc stuff around the trailer.

Here is the control panel. 8 switches (only 6 being used as of now), battery health and volt gauge. The panel tucks into the lip of the top shelf and is held in place with two bolts on the bottom. I need to get two wing nuts for the bolts so it is easy to take off. On the top shelf I have my marine onboard charger, solar charger, and fuse panel. The battery is on the shelf behind the panel. I rolled all the edges of the panel to give it strength from flexing and to make it look nicer. An extinguisher, extension cord, and wheel chocks are going on the bottom. The ratchet strap will eventually hold down the battery after final install.

1000 watt inverter I had. Mounted it in the 'garage' compartment. I will also have my jump box, toilet, and little buddy heater in here. You can also see one of the 12v outlets.

In the rear on the driver side is the sink. I need to mount the water pump and plumb things in still. It is one of the faucets where the end can be pulled out and turned into a sprayer. There is also a soap dispenser in the sink. It will eventually drain through the floor into a 5 gallon bucket. I have also put a first aid kit in this compartment.

The door for the sink compartment will hold a hand sanitizer and paper towel rack.

Inside the left wall of the bed holds another fire extinguisher and the Ecotemp L5 water heater.

Some backup lighting. I have 4 more of these lights underneath for area/rock lighting.

Fridge/freezer on the bed slide. Will be held down with 2 ratchet straps. This can be accessed easily when the slide is out, or if you open the roof of the bed it gives enough room to open the lid also. There is a 12v outlet under the front lip of the slide, as well as a switch for lighting int he bed (all of my interior lights have not shown up yet, darn shipping from China!).

Solved my locking hitch with a couple pieces of scrap metal. Now it will lock while on my truck.

Made a feed hole for a propane hose for the fire pit. I will have two more propane hoses feeding through the back of the tool box as well. One to the Ecotemp and one to the kitchen compartment for the stove.

Here are the umbrella holders (matching on the other side). This will give a good amount of shade for quick stops where I do not want to pull the canopy out. You can barely see one of the handles I put on the roof as well. Makes it so much easier to get up on the bumper with something to grab on to.

I didn't get any pictures yet of the water tank or the mounts. Or really of the right side of the trailer.

Love the feeling of progress.
2012 Beast.

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by dogcar3 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:19 am

TonkaPW wrote:This is an awesome build project. I love how you used the existing gas openings for the electric and water. The only thing I would change out would be the ball hitch for a pintle hitch. I have seen ball hitches pop loose in extreme conditions but I have never lost anything with a pintle hitch. :idea:
I do have a concern about the ball hitch. I would really like to get something like this:
https://locknroll.com/
2012 Beast.

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by BigRed2007 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... extra-yoke

This may be just what your looking for...it may not also....
Flame Red 07 PW - BIG RED
White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders, Volant Intake, LightForce 210 HID x2, HiLift Mounted on Tool Box, Locker Bypass, OBA - EXTREMAIRE Magnum, High Idle, 315/70/17 MTR/Ks, ARB Front Bumper, Synthetic Winch Rope, 3000 Watt Inverter, Carli Performance 2.0 Front end and rear shocks, DT PROFAB Steering brace and Steering Stabilizer,Carli Front Diff Gaurd, 12v Fridge Freezer, Dual Optima Yellow Tops, AirFlow Snorkle, Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe, 2x50W Solar Panels, DOR Control Arms.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 pm

I have a max coupler, much better than the lock n roll IMHO.....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE