Antigravity Micro Start PX-1 Lithium PPS

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
Cactus Red

Antigravity Micro Start PX-1 Lithium PPS

Post by Cactus Red » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 am

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDYYK4A/ref ... 25410_item

Antigravity Micro Start PX-1 Personal Power Supply

After being shown one of these last weekend, I did my research, and bought one today for the Jeep. The PW has dual batteries, so I'm not as concerned about battery problems. The Jeep has a single battery, albeit a very good one - a DieHard Platinum G35, but with a fridge and winch, having a backup seemed to be a good idea. I've tried the small lead/acid type of power packs from Schumaker (http://www.batterychargers.com/Category ... able-Power), and had very poor results. They always seem dead when needed, and even after a full recharge, didn't work as well as I thought they would. The long term storage ability of the Lithium Ion battery, along with the size really appealed to me. The testimonial from BX who has used his already, as well as the reviews and videos I read or watched convinced me that this was exactly what I needed. Also having the option to power other equipment will be very handy.

I'll have it in hand next week, and will finish this with an initial review. If it gets used for a jump starter, I'll post that as well.

Mark
I'm just along for the ride...

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: Antigravity Micro Start PX-1 Lithium PPS

Post by verdesardog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am

WOW, that looks amazing....
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Pretty good video on the unit:
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by fbenross » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 pm

I wonder how long it would crank a V-8 that was having trouble starting. I might have to get one for a backup device charger too. Cool product.
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

blindsquirrel33
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by blindsquirrel33 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 am

I'm looking forward to a review.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:54 pm

The unit arrived today. From all appearances, it's well built and well thought out. It doesn't weight much, that's for sure! It comes with a virtual plethora of adapters, most of which I have no clue as to what they fit. It requires charging before use, so that comes first before I test it.
Attachments
box.jpg
case.jpg
open case.jpg
micro start battery.jpg

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I can't believe that little sucker would have enough power to charge and start a dead car battery?! Pretty damn cool, though!
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:43 pm

It won't charge a vehicle battery, but it does supply enough amps to repeatedly start a motor. Once the vehicle starts it must be removed within 30 seconds.

Sent via gigawatt laser...

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:15 pm

The proof is in:
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

That wee little battery starts the truck just fine! Not the greatest video, but it does show that it works.

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 am

I really like this little gadget. Hell, might be worth throwing one in the bass boat for me, too (in case of an emergency)........
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Yeah, I just ordered one for each of our vehicles...at first the things it says it can do almost makes it sound like modern day snake oil upon further research it really is one of those things you should have right next to your jack.
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

molonlabe
Model Year: 2012

Post by molonlabe » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 am

Hey guys, I'm the new guy and just registered on this forum.
Regarding the Antigravity PPS kit, I picked one up last week. In addition to being a compact/lightweight emergency starter, the PPS Kit comes with a variety of adaptors for charging phones, laptop, Ipads, etc.

My thoughts were to use it in lieu of a running a second battery as a backup. I do plan on running an odyssey high output battery with possibly an aftermarket high output alternator (200+amp) to run accessories such as lights, inverters in the future. I would appreciate your thoughts on this as well. Thanks.

Robert
2012PW. FIXED FRONT END by way of Carli Front and Rear Suspension Components + Synergy HD Steering. 2.5 Pintop Carli Shocks all around. White Knuckle Sliders. Custom pre-runner bar w LED light bar. ARB Modular Front Bumper. FAB Four Elite Steel Rear Bumper. Amsteel synthetic rope.
Switch Pro Setup for Auxillary Power and Lighting.
+1 Rothschild Banking Dynasty.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 am

That's exactly why we have one in the Jeep. It has a much larger than stock single battery that runs the fridge when we are on the trail. It's nice to have the backup available if needed.

I would prefer a second battery tho, but it's not easy to do in the Heep.

Several of the guys have shoe horned a G31 in the stock location. You might look that up!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 am

I was talking with a professional mechanic friend and he was bragging about the buy he got on these things. Same unit, bought ten of them off the Snap-On truck for $85 each. Snap-On guy won't sell them at that price any more, but I'm looking. They are using these things to jump customer cars when they come in dead.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 pm

I ordered one from Amazon last Friday for $120, and heard on Monday from my mechanic friend that the manufacturer has just come out with a newer version with higher capacity, about the same size. New version should be on the Snap-On trucks within a couple of weeks.

blindsquirrel33
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by blindsquirrel33 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:51 am

The July JP magazine has a review of it in "Randy's Electrical Corner".

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Wed May 21, 2014 11:46 am

Great product seen one in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fyrfytr704
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by fyrfytr704 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:18 pm

I've got one of these little devils and it's always with me in the truck - as an everyday way to charge a laptop, or my phone it's great. The other benefit is that it will start the tuck, if needed, too.

In addition to the MicroStart, I bring one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNCA ... Compressor)with me if I am out camping and running my fridge. My ARB fridge/freezer has drawn enough in really hot and humid weather to stop me from starting my truck, even on MED voltage protection (in fairness, this was after two days of not starting the truck and I only run the stock battery). I like both options, but the JNC has a lot more capacity, has an air compressor, and with 1700 amps to help with starting, you don't have to do any worrying about whether or not it will get the job done after charging your phone a couple of times (plus their warranty is unbeatable). Another little benefit of the JNC is that you can easily fully charge it via the 12v outlet while you're wheeling during the day, so it's ready for use at night.

Anyone else carry a bigger jump pack to run their electronics?
2008 PW - stock with the exception of CAI, Superchips tune, LED tail lights, bed liner, tonneau cover, bed rug, swing case, and a black magic e-fan with override switch (for now). Now accepting donations for lift and tires!

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 am

We went with two 30w solar panels and a Goal Zero tender/charge controller. That allows us to keep the batteries on both the truck and trailer up to snuff.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm

I am getting three more of the "old" model XP-1. I spoke with the mfr a couple of days ago about the differences between the old XP-1 vs the new XP-3. Turns out the XP-3 is only 8000 mah vs 12000 mah on the XP-1. That alone is enough to get me to stay with the old model, which is a little larger. But, the XP-3 won't charge or power laptops according to the mfr, and does not include the full range of connectors that come with the XP-1. I'm not an Apple guy, but I think neither will power the newer Apple laptops because of a change in Apple's input voltage specs. Used my XP-1 today to start a V8 BMW that had been dead for weeks. Worked like a charm.

Mfr told me that they are working on lithium ion batteres for automotive applications and are close to bringing something to market. Their current lineup is oriented toward motorcycles and OHVs, with max size being about 24ah. That should start a truck, but not good for much else. Could be a good second battery in a Jeep or similar rig for strictly emergency use. I think I'm going to install a third battery in the PW. Working out the installation details, but hoping I come to my senses before I start cutting steel.

fyrfytr704
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by fyrfytr704 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Ducky, thanks for the heads-up on the new unit. I am going to order two more of the old ones to keep around. That thing has been great!

I'll be curious to see how their main batteries work out...
2008 PW - stock with the exception of CAI, Superchips tune, LED tail lights, bed liner, tonneau cover, bed rug, swing case, and a black magic e-fan with override switch (for now). Now accepting donations for lift and tires!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:30 pm

MicroStart XP-1 Update:
I own two of these puppies and have used them a few times with great success. Until yesterday. XP-1 had been in the trunk of the car for a few weeks and when I went to start my wife's Escalade (failed Optima Yellow, being replaced with an Odyssey 1500 34/78 today), the XP-1 would not crank the Escalade's 6.0 V8. Put the XP-1 on the AC charger for about 2-1/2 hours, until it showed a full charge, and then went back out to the Escalade. Escalade barely started, and then the XP-1 did not have enough power to start the old BMW V8. Back on the charger for about 30 minutes, then plenty of juice to crank the BMW. That is simply not acceptable for an emergency power source, so I called the AntiGravity folks this morning and described the problem. They agreed that I may have a defective unit and are sending me an RMA for exchange. Now I have a lot less confidence in the XP-1 and will make sure it is fully charged before every trip to the boonies. When AntiGravity calls me back, I'll ask them if they have a foolproof way to load test these things to see if they are good. Mine is less than 5 months old and worked fine the first few times I used it.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:53 pm

So far so good here. I maintain the charge every 3 months, and it has worked fine the two times I've used it. People are somewhat shocked when it gets pulled out of the Jeep...

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I maintain the charge every 3 months,
Mine had been in the trunk for about five weeks. My real concern is that after what appeared to be a full charge from an AC source, it barely worked for one start and then was useless. You might want to read their warranty on the web site. Says full replacement only during the first five months, then pro-rated after that. I made it by three days.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/all-inf ... -warranty/

dogcar3
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by dogcar3 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I am wanting to get their Max 36 model when they become available.
2012 Beast.