Thinking of installing 12 volt outlet in bed of truck

CBs / FRS / GMRS / MARS, radios, stereos, computers, tools, etc. The stuff you use to support wheeling or use of your PW.
GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Thinking of installing 12 volt outlet in bed of truck

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Wondering if any of you guys would know if it would be ok to run a small electric heater off a 12 volt outlet in the back of my truck/topper? Will be a new truck battery involved as well. :idea: Going to be cold sleeping back there this hunting season!
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Re: Thinking of installing 12 volt outlet in bed of truck

Post by verdesardog » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 pm

I don't think there is a 12v heater that will make much of a difference in the back of a truck on a cold night. Think about it...most household portable heaters are about 1200 watts. To get that much heat out of 12 volts you would need 100 amps!
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks verdesardog. I am fairly electronically challenged. Something like this heater would warm it up above freezing I think.

http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Watt-Univ ... lt+heaters
Just thought it would be nice to run a heater and not have to worry about carbon monoxide from a propane/gas fired heater
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I think it would take the chill out with the heater and your body heat. Not gonna sweat you out for sure but will help.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:40 pm

05PWrockcrawler wrote:I think it would take the chill out with the heater and your body heat. Not gonna sweat you out for sure but will help.
That was my thought as well. Will report back after I try it out. Stealth camping/hunting mode in two weeks. :rockon:

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm

gunny do you have a 12v heater? I would like to hear how well it works ...
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Not yet.. but I am still thinking it might be a solution to the waking up at 0 dark hundred and cold. plug it in and get out of the bag warmed up might be kind of nice. :idea: I'll report back after I try it out.

pzoeller

Post by pzoeller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:28 pm

That's a 25 amp draw......I wouldn't plan on using it for too long at night but if you cycle it on and off you should get one night out of a decent sized battery.........
Black 2006 QC Power Wagon - 315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's - Bilstein 5100's - Upgraded "T" Steering - Line-X and Drop-in Liner - Eliminator Ultra AGM Battery - Randy Ellis Light Bar - Hella 700FF's - Hella 500FF's - K&N CAI - Locker Bypass - BackRack - Toolbox - Mopar Rock-Rails -

2006 Dodge PW
2005 TJ
2017 Grand Caravan GT
2003 Saturn ION
2008 F550 Dump
1955 CJ-5

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 am

Milwaukee and other companies make heated jackets that run off their cordless tool batteries, and you can recharge those batteries from the truck. That and a pair of electric socks might do the trick. Another option might be one of the Coleman Black Cat propane catalytic heaters. They run off the small propane cannisters that you can get at any WalMart, and there is no open flame. I think they are OK in enclosed spaces like tents and should do nicely in an insulated truck shell. Check with Coleman, don't listen to me.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Might just go that route. Not too fond of draining the truck battery. Would only be cranking it up in the morning to take the edge off or in the middle of the night before crawling out to take a leak. Maybe one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-BlackCat- ... r+for+tent

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:05 pm

I have a Gerbing heated jacket for the cool morning when riding the motorcycle. Check out their website for heated jackets, pants, gloves and socks. It's all 12 volt. Not much of a draw, as any motorcycle can power it. ;) My jacket can make me sweat if I want it to. :lol: This should give you an idea.

http://www.gerbing.com/
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Might just go that route. Not too fond of draining the truck battery. Would only be cranking it up in the morning to take the edge off or in the middle of the night before crawling out to take a leak. Maybe one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-BlackCat- ... r+for+tent
That's it. I have a couple of them that I use for various purposes. One goes out to the duck blind in real cold weather and with a small pan sitting on top of it, I can warm up my coffee or heat up some lunch. Coleman makes these in various output levels and base configurations, so pay attention when you buy yours. WalMart usually carries them and blows them out at the end of the season. My second one was only $20 so I couldn't just let it sit there on the shelf.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:43 am

If you already have one of these http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... DjvVP.dpbs, then you can use one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Patton-1500- ... 866?N=c4lh# . Or you can use a 12v elec blanket as well. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... lsrc=aw.ds